Game 2017.52: Tigers at Royals

The Tigers won, so I’m not going to fret tonight about all of the problems with this team, or that we may only have a month more of our best hitter.

No, I am going to relax, pop open a Stroh’s, and enjoy the soft Corinthian leather of my La-Z-Boy.

If I get bored, I will listen to these post-game comments by our leader.

Today’s Lineup:

1. Dixon Machado, 2B
  2. Nick Castellanos, 3B
  3. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
  4. Victor Martinez, DH
  5. JD Martinez, RF
  6. Justin Upton, LF
  7. John Hicks, C
  8. JaCoby Jones, CF
  9. Jose Iglesias, SS

Pitching: Justin Verlander vs Eric Skoglund

The Ol’ Ace takes on Cy Rookie Guy. No Elvis in CF tonight, but we have Dixon “Wait, I’m Batting Where?” Machado leading things off. I predict 3 walks for JD, but J-Hicks will knock him in at least once.

1. Only Tiger Fan in Mississippi

May 30, 2017 at 8:12 pm

While Aducci was supposed to come off the 10-day DL, it looks,like they are extending it.

• Smoking Loon

May 30, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Again? Seriously, he first hit the DL retroactive to the 11th, I think.

2. Smoking Loon

May 30, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Coleman tricked me. I figured ‘by our leader” was going to be Ausmus. I was going to post a link to that commercial myself, but the discovery of SOFT Corinthian leather just brought me down so much. What does a fella need to do to get himself some RICH Corinthian leather?

• HelpMeMakeitThruThe9th

May 31, 2017 at 2:12 pm

A player coached team is better than a coach coached team.
      Who is leading the internal force from the players perspective?
      J.V. did all he could to give us a chance to win along with the
      bull pen.. Got to be so frustrating for him to lose to a rook…

3. Jerry The Tiger Fan

May 30, 2017 at 9:30 pm

Castellanos with another iffy throw to first. Good play by Miggy to keep his foot on the bag. Man this team is a tough watch, especially when we are batting and that’s supposed to be the fun part of watching your team. I have zero confidence in any of our hitters to drive in a run (assuming we will have some runners in scoring position may be a stretch on my part) right now even after last night’s temporary respite from the usual ineptitude displayed by our hitters in 2017. The rebuild can’t come fast enough for me even though we have very few tradeable commodities (JWilson and JDMartinez) to kick start the rebuild a la the David Price and Cespedes trades of 2015. Kind of depressing as it looks like we may be down for awhile as we have a barren farm system with precious little to look forward to (Stewart is the only one that comes to mind), and as previously mentioned precious few trade chips. Wondering how other Tiger diehards are feeling right now.

• Smoking Loon

May 30, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Jerry, the general consensus here seems to be that everything is fine and that the Tigers are as good as the Astros, just a bit of bad luck lately. I could be misreading things, though.

• jud

May 30, 2017 at 11:26 pm

Brad was even quoted that the Tigers would be ripping the cover off the ball. But they are just unlucky….

4. HelpMeMakeitThruThe9th

May 30, 2017 at 9:51 pm

That’s a long throw over there Jerry…Anything hit
    to 3rd is an adventure…

• Tony de Florida

May 30, 2017 at 10:08 pm

To me it looked like Miggy saved 2 errors by holding the bag on bad throws.

• Coleman

May 31, 2017 at 12:21 am

He has gotten very good at that actually.

5. Tony de Florida

May 30, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Cy Skoglund had a terrific debut. Yost has guts, he pulls him for a pitcher with an 8+ ERA and he promptly strikes our JD and J-Up. WOW!

6. Smoking Loon

May 30, 2017 at 10:20 pm

Does F-Rod *possibly* get the call for the 8th inning? I have a hunch that it is very possible.

• Tony de Florida

May 30, 2017 at 10:27 pm

No, he’s resting after getting the win last night.

• Smoking Loon

May 30, 2017 at 10:32 pm

I still can’t rule it out. Not watching, so I have no idea of the bullpen activity and such. It is a high leverage situation without the risk of losing, at least at the moment. Seems tailor-made.

7. Smoking Loon

May 30, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Maybe we will be treated to a bottom of the order rally. Been known to happen. The small ball guys are up. Don’t know whether there will be any real attempt at small ball. Guess they’ve gotta get on base first. Hicks could tie it with one swing, hold on.

• Smoking Loon

May 30, 2017 at 10:39 pm

Shoot. Gameday was stuck. Missed the whole half inning just blabbing about what might be.

• Smoking Loon

May 30, 2017 at 10:40 pm

Guess I didn’t miss much. Bring on F-Rod!

• Smoking Loon

May 30, 2017 at 10:41 pm

Oh, great. Alex Wilson. No fun in that.

8. Tony de Florida

May 30, 2017 at 10:40 pm

It’s not enough we only have 3 hits, we have to display our base running skills.

• Smoking Loon

May 30, 2017 at 10:47 pm

Yeah, that was some *really* small ball. Kind of a sacrifice without the advance, maybe.

9. Doug of Troy

May 30, 2017 at 10:43 pm

Iglesias showed we have none.

10. Tony de Florida

May 30, 2017 at 11:03 pm

It’s great. The last day in May tomorrow and we will be playing a meaningful game. For last place in our division.

11. jud

May 30, 2017 at 11:12 pm

Hey Brad whats your excuse today… Oh I know too many games this week!…
    Miggy called the boys out in the FREEP… Lotta good that did!

12. jud

May 30, 2017 at 11:20 pm

You can’t really expect the Tigers to play hard two nights in a row. History shows they very seldom do that!

13. HelpMeMakeitThruThe9th

May 31, 2017 at 12:20 am

“We know this team is going to hit.”
    Every third day ??? .333 is pretty good
    right?
    Thank goodness our defense and pitching
    is solid….

14. HelpMeMakeitThruThe9th

May 31, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Don’t worry folks…. C Mo says we will perform
    based on the #’s on the back of their baseball
    cards…
    We don’t pass the eye test when you watch our games.
    So many big things and little things we don’t do
    consistently…
    May change my name to HelpMeMakeItThrutheSeason…

15. jud

May 31, 2017 at 4:38 pm

I was relieved to read this morning Brad tipped his hat to that nobody last night for the masterful job he did on the Pussycat lineup….. This is the 100000000000000 time Brad has done that, after all the only possible answer is… “Thats baseball”, right fearless leader?

16. jud

May 31, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Kennedy has 0 wins. So this will make the 7th pitcher getting their first win against that feared Pussycat lineup. I even pulled a Pete Rose on tonights game. Colsest thing to a “sure thing”, that there is.

17. HelpMeMakeitThruThe9th

May 31, 2017 at 6:21 pm

This trend happening over the first 3rd of the season
    is tenuous. The post game interviews with BA are getting
    very awkward… We all see the obvious….Go player by
    player and rate who is playing to their potential…
    They talk about 5 star players…Hell… how many 3 stars
    guys do we have? If not for our bench and AAAA players, we
    would be 10 games under .500.
    Well let’s see if Boyd can get off the 4 game tails spin…