Clearing My Head for 2015

Hello Friends –

I hope everyone enjoyed the break. It’s been a while since I’ve written anything of substance, partly because I still can’t get over the 8th inning of Game 1 of the LDS, but mostly due to Daily Fantasy Sports leagues.

Pitchers and Catchers report in four days. I’ve got a few pressing thoughts that I want to get out before then, though I expect them to trickle over into pitchers fielding practice.

My first thought is that Justin Verlander may never be an elite pitcher again. Working on that now.

“People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”
– Rogers Hornsby

1. StorminNorman$

February 17, 2015 at 1:32 pm

i find myself agreeing with JL a lot more since he retired…including on this ‘pitch clock’ issue

• Smoking Loon

February 19, 2015 at 8:09 pm

I liked the pitch clock idea at first, but I’m turning against it. On the one hand, a clock adds some objectivity and uniformity to enforcement. On the other hand, I think the ends can be achieved without this. Just shortening the inning breaks would improve things greatly. That wait annoys me more than anything about the pace of actual play, I think. Except for the more egregious delay rituals of hitters (especially) and pitchers. Less warm up pitches, too, please. PLEASE.

• Jim EggersUSMC

February 20, 2015 at 3:48 am

The only thing that has lengthened the between innings would be less commercials, and that is money, so not gonna happen, in our lifetimes.

• StorminNorman$

February 20, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Good point Jim… and with the advent of regional tv contracts (Dbacks just signed a $1B deal) http://hardballtalk.nbcsports......r-tv-deal/
          Between the national and regional networks deals w/MLB a/o MLB teams, they’re going to want to keep the advertising (commercials between innings & pitching changes) space as lucrative as possible.

I think a ‘pitch clock’ would be the most viable way to reign in the between pitch dance that some pitchers and hitters use & abuse…i.e.

If a pitch clock means; I’d never have to see Big Papi step out of the box between EACH pitch to re-adjust both batting gloves (and sometimes his junk), spit into his gloves, clap the hands then slowly step back into the box and then dig in again… I’m all for it.

• Jim EggersUSMC

February 20, 2015 at 5:22 pm

I am glad you understood what I wrote, must have been channeling Sarah Palin……

2. StorminNorman$

February 19, 2015 at 9:49 am

when considering that he’s played injured/hampered for about half of the past two seasons (& the financial investment), i would hope DET won’t allow him to try and rush back before he’s healthy and in good condition

• Smoking Loon

February 19, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Cabrera likes to play and doesn’t like to sit. That will dictate the pace more than anything, I think. If only there was some way to be “prudent” about these things. He can be healthy and in good condition, and then – oops. Not so healthy, playing through pain again. What can you do? To play is to play flat out. At least as soon as the bell rings.

3. Jim EggersUSMC

February 20, 2015 at 5:52 pm

If you would like to see what I was up to on my recent visit to Kauai, check out the “Happy Camper” of Feb. 6th at gardenislandnews.com

4. jud

February 21, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Sorry to have to make this announcement but my streak of 26 consecutive spring training trips ends. As much as I love that trip I just can’t get away those two weeks this year. Maybe next year i can start a new streak and some of you can join me. ……Go Tigers!

• Jim EggersUSMC

February 21, 2015 at 5:14 pm

I am sorry to hear that, was looking forward to your blunt and accurate reports… as far as next year might be able to pull that one off…