Here is a compilation of Ernie Harwell related articles, videos, and information about ceremonies and remembrances. The above picture was taken by current Tigers broadcaster and former radio partner of Harwell, Dan Dickerson shortly after the news filtered out last night.
The funeral and memorial will be a private affair. However, there will be a public viewing taking place at Comerica Park on Thursday May 6th. The viewing begins at 7 a.m. at Gate A. It will last as long as it takes and complimentary parking is available in Lots 1, 2, and 3.
To further the endowment of the Ernie Harwell Collection at the Detroit Public Library and to fund partial college scholarships, please send memorial donations to the Ernie Harwell Foundation c/o S. Gary Spicer, 16845 Kercheval Ave., Grosse Pointe, MI 48230.
The team will wear uniform patches for the remainder of the season and a flag will be raised at Comerica Park prior to the May 10th game against the New York Yankees.
In light of the news of Ernie Harwell’s passing, MLB Network will re-air Harwell’s interview on “Studio 42 with Bob Costas” tomorrow, Wednesday, May 5 at 4:00 p.m. ET/3:00 p.m. CT.
Below is an audio clip of Dan Dickerson and Jim Price both announcing, and coming to terms with the news during the first inning of last night’s game. It was painful, poignant, and touching. Dan and Jim had to experience their grief over the air, live. A terrific job by both.
- Ernie’s Comerica Park farewell
- Vin Scully remembers Ernie
- Jim Leyland’s post game media session
- A compilation of clips as broadcasters remember Harwell
- Paul Carey on WDFN
- Detroit Tiger Tales: Ernie Harwell Passes Away at 92
- Bless you Boys: Tigers icon Ernie Harwell passes away
- Detroit News: Baseball reacts to Harwell’s death
- MLB.com: Harwell’s passing felt in Tigers clubhouse
- MLB.com: Harwell’s passing hits broadcasters hard
- MLB.com: Tributes flow about beloved Harwell
- Fox Sports Detroit: Ernie Harwell Tribute
- Big League Stew: Ernie Harwell, owner of Motown’s sweetest voice
- Hardball Talk: Ernie Harwell 1918-2010
- Joe Posnanski: Ernie
- Jon Paul Morosi: Tigers legend installed love of baseball
- Ian Casselberry: This is our last goodbye
- Curtis Granderson: Remembering the good times with Ernie
- NYMag: Ernie Harwell died yesterday