All Star Game 2009

by billfer on July 14, 2009 · 16 comments

in 2009 Season

With four Tigers on the roster, it only seems fitting that we have a game thread. Plus it gives me a chance to catch-up on some All Star related linking.

Most newsworthy and relevant is the fact that Evan Longoria is out with an infected ring finger. Michael Young will start at third base, but maybe this gets Inge to the game earlier? Chone Figgins was added to the roster in Longoria’s place.

Curtis Granderson is having a grand time and blogging each day at the Stew. Last night Grandy thought the Home Run Derby was a little long and tonight he hopes to schmooze the Pres and set up a meeting with the Secretary of Education.

Justin Verlander is sort of available tonight. According to Beck’s Twitter Verlander is only available if needed.

This also gives me the opportunity to link up some Home Run Derby coverage. I intended to do an open thread for that as well. But I got home a little later than planned and I turned on the television to see Inge getting his complimentary Gatorade and Joe Buck joining the broadcast. Not really what I was hoping for on either account. But I don’t think it’s possible for Inge to have a better outlook on the night. Kurt did come away impressed with Scott Pickens arm though.

Edwin Jackson took on the Army in a Playstation battle. Video is below:

So which Tiger will do the best tonight? Inge? Grandy? Jackson? Verlander? Or are you just hoping nobody gets hurt?

{ 16 comments }

Kathy July 14, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Love the Jackson video. That’s my Tiger!

Steve July 14, 2009 at 10:00 pm

I think no matter how you got there, its an honor and in many ways a fulfillment to what all off these guys strive for. Sure we would all like the money they make, but look at what most of them put into their careers. They are for the most part in excellent shape (that takes time and dedication) and live their lives on the road away from the family. In between all that they are trying to hit a 90+ mph ball or trying to get Puljos and the gang out. Seriously how many of us put that into out jobs?

The guys that aren’t that good get this week off to hang with the family.

Bill >> Great blog, love the group that is assembled here on game night. Where are the numerous and 2:00am posts from Coleman………… ? Dude are you there

Steve

Coleman July 15, 2009 at 2:32 am

I had to stay up just to post this reply at a valid time, so I hope you appreciate it…(actually I’ve been posting from the west coast so it’s not as late as it seems…)

Forty July 14, 2009 at 10:34 pm

What is Maddon thinking? Playing without Inge is like playing with 8 only fielders.

BigMax July 14, 2009 at 10:46 pm

GRANDERSON – I guess he was saving up that triple!

MacD July 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Do I smell an MVP?

stephen July 14, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Inge now 0-For St. Louis.

billfer July 14, 2009 at 11:25 pm

Aw come on. Like Inge said last night, some of those in the Derby would have been base hits :)

Kathy July 14, 2009 at 11:26 pm

oh, well. He made the All Star team, thank god! And Curtis hits his trademark triple, Jackson 1,2,3 outs. Verlander sits on the sidelines and doesn’t have to strain a muscle. Terrific game, I thought.

David G. July 14, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Granderson could have won MVP but so be it, those things are hard to hand out in this game. Crawford’s catch was very good and probably as important as Curtis’ triple. Maybe that will spur Curtis to catch fire the 2nd half.

Jason A. July 14, 2009 at 11:43 pm

Why did the A.L. win again? Think of who they pitched after Halladay: seven absolute studs-

Buehrle
Grienke
E-Jax
King Felix
Papelbon
Nathan
Rivera

After Lincecum, who does the NL put out? Ryan Franklin! Granted, he has the great year and the goatee, but he’s still the dude who couldn’t cut it in Seattle. Then, we see 40-year-old Trevor Hoffman, then Heath Bell (who?) gives up the go-ahead run.

Let’s hope for Games 1 and 2 of the WS at Comerica Park again!

Jerry the Tiger Fan July 15, 2009 at 12:00 am

Well…the AS game worked out great in my eyes. The AL won, two Tigers contributed significantly to the win, and no one got hurt (that I’m aware of). I was really hoping that Verlander would not pitch after throwing 115 pitches on Sunday. That was the most important thing IMO and it was great to see him achored to the dugout (but still enjoying himself). It was great to see Grandy (he’s my Tiger) come through with a HUGE triple and score the go-ahead run. Edwin Jackson looked fantastic with an easy 1-2-3 inning.

Brandon grounded out after a disappointing HR derby appearance and didn’t get a fielding chance in his two innings at third base. Kind of a not-so memorable couple of days for Mr. Inge (at least on the field). I’m sure Brandon enjoyed the experience and it will still be something he will always remember fondly (meeting the President…..I’m assuming, getting selected by the fans as the last AL representative). All in all, a very good couple of days for our Tiger All-Stars.

Chris in Nashville July 15, 2009 at 12:18 am

Ugh, I thought Grandy was going to get the MVP. Great game and great night for the national pastime.

Coleman July 15, 2009 at 2:54 am

Hopefully Brandon’s experience impresses him with this bit of wisdom, which we fans have known for some time: the more he is trying to hit a home run, the less likely the result is a home run.

(Also, he has done best with runners in scoring position or clutch situations, and the HR Derby was a bit short on those; this may actually be the same point as the 1st one though, since he seems to swing for the fences more with bases empty. Also, since he kills lefties, maybe he should have brought in Nate to pitch to him as a rehab exercise…)

Andrew July 15, 2009 at 9:12 am

Coleman, you crack me up! :)

Vegastigers July 16, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Love the video with EJack. So cool to see him playing video games.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site