Game 2017.139: Royals at Tigers

Jose Iglesias out on paternity leave, so Dixon finally gets a start.

Today’s Lineup:

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
  2. Alex Presley RF
  3. Nick Castellanos DH
  4. John Hicks 1B
  5. Jaime Candelario 3B
  6. Mikie Mahtook LF
  7. James McCann C
  8. JaCoby Jones CF
  9. Dixon Machado SS

Pitching: Matthew Boyd vs Jason Hammel

1. Tony de Florida

September 6, 2017 at 8:44 pm

I don’t know if it’s a case of the blind squirrel, but I’m delighted Ian hit one out. He had a hit last night also. If he keeps it up, Brad will finally bench him.

2. Tony de Florida

September 6, 2017 at 9:43 pm

Looks like Boyd’s best start in a long time will be squandered. The Aussie couldn’t get an out. Too bad, but encouraging for Boyd.

3. Tony de Florida

September 6, 2017 at 9:51 pm

I know Presley is hitting .300 but I am really getting concerned about his play in RF. He really looks overmatched on hit balls and his arm is super weak. Tigers always value hitting over defense but I wonder how many runs he’s cost us playing RF. He doesn’t get errors as such, he just doesn’t get to a lot of hit balls and runners always seem to take the extra base on him. Maybe Casty will be a defensive upgrade.

• Coleman

September 7, 2017 at 12:14 am

I think Casty might actually become a defensive upgrade. On the other hand, the Parsely is one of the best base runners on the team, and Nick is a horror show. Except when he is getting triples, which makes me question my shaky grip on reality.

4. Jud

September 7, 2017 at 7:12 am

Tigers are officially out of the AL Central race….
    Gee already!…

Glad Kinsler can still hit an occasional home run. He has been 4/34 according to the Free Press between home runs.

5. Jud

September 7, 2017 at 7:14 am

Is Jimenez really Rondon in disguise… Who might be Zumaya also in disguise… Hmmmmm!

• Tony de Florida

September 7, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Jud, I don’t think so. There haven’t been any whispers about his lack of effort or other problems. It could just be he’s not ready for prime time. Since this is a lost season it doesn’t hurt us to find out. It good that he is getting pounded regularly since it may ultimately prove useful in getting his act together. He is young and not a lost cause. Probably should go to winter ball to work out the kinks. Remember Koufax was pretty ordinary his first few years.

• Jud

September 7, 2017 at 5:21 pm

I am all for pitching the kid. No question about it. Same with playing all these youngsters. It’s the only way to find out. I am 100% behind this rebuild..
        I have more of a problem with Kinsler VMart, Miggy numbers than I do with Jiminez getting pounder in his first year. He looks like he has good stuff, it’s just that he is a thrower not a pitcher, yet. He leaves too many pitches in everyone’s happy zone.

• Tony de Florida

September 7, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Amen, Jiminez could become a pitcher. Ian and Miggy have been great but playing them doesn’t prove anything this season. There is no value to the Tigers if they get hot over the last 3 weeks. Better that they rest up and Miggy gets medical help to prepare him for 2018.

6. Tony de Florida

September 7, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Maybin another HR in the 9th to give the Astros a 5-3 win in Seattle. Good thing we were deep in outfielders or I would have felt bad about that trade.

7. StorminNorman$