Game 2015.140: Tigers at Indians

OK Alfredo, we’re going to give you a little more sauce every scoreless inning you pitch (yes, I know that’s not Alfredo sauce. Don’t be so pedantic).

I seem to get all the Alfredo Simon starts. I’ll try the lucky pasta picture again. It is likely that tonight Simon will throw a shutout. it is also likely he will give up 6 runs in the first 3 innings. A solid, 3-4 run start? Highly unlikely, which is why that is my prediction.

Hmm. That’s actually making me hungry. The picture, not the anticipation of the game.

Reason to watch: Rajai Davis is hot right now. Also I am appreciating the professionalism that Andrew Romine brings to his backup role.

As mentioned in my comments on yesterdays threads multiple inside sources have yet to deny my rumor that Jim Walewander will be the new Tiger manager. Other unnamed sources are also silent.

Today’s Lineup:

1. Rajai Davis, LF
  2. Ian Kinsler, 2B
  3. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
  4. JD Martinez, RF
  5. Victor Martinez, DH
  6. Nick Castellanos, 3B
  7. James McCann, C
  8. Andrew Romine, SS
  9. Anthony Gose, CF

1. jud

September 10, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Here is the jinx..I never watch Tigers Live before a game…today I broke that streak waiting for the Steeler/Pats game….anyway they couldn’t get over how the Tigers Domimate Salazar!!!!….oops wrong approach for a team that can’t dominate anyone..a team thats gone 53 times with 2 or less!…..bad omen…I am out!

2. Kaline fan

September 10, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Lindor with TWELVE sac bunts this year. I’d give credit to Lindor, Francona. How many Tigers have even CLOSE to that? Any Tiger with even TWO?

• Coleman

September 10, 2015 at 8:17 pm

McCann and Iglesias with 4. Whole team has 18.

• Kaline fan

September 10, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Thanks, Coleman. We’re doing better than I thought.
        Don’t have the numbers, but so many times, that translates into EXTRA runs scored.

• Coleman

September 10, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Romine 3rd most with 3. That’s pretty good considering his minimal playing time.

• Kaline fan

September 10, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Coulda used one there from The Romer. Same outs, but McCann would be in scoring pos.

3. Pingback: Game 2015.140: Tigers at Indians | Detroit Tigers

4. Pingback: Game 2015.140: Tigers at Indians | Ruthian Sports

5. Kaline fan

September 10, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Simon = avg 14 pitches/inning. Quality start. 1 swing in 4th, his only real blemish.

6. Coleman

September 10, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Gose got thrown out, but that’s a play where I’d send him every time: 2 outs, fast runner, inexperienced outfielder. Now if it was Castellanos again…yeah I might gripe about that.

7. Kaline fan

September 10, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Agree, Coleman. And now Ausmus playing “Bullpen Roulette” again, with the caliber of b’pen he has, and with possible extra innings looming.
    This probably does not end well…..

8. Kaline fan

September 10, 2015 at 10:19 pm

How predictable ——full count on a hitter like Brantley. Don’t try so friggin’ hard to make a great pitch. If you miss, you’re dead, like what happened. Just pitch him very carefully on 3-2, and allow him his friggin’ walk!!!

9. Tony de Florida

September 10, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Well he had to do something. Wilson had worked himself into a big jam. Although if I’m Hardy and Brantley is next, I would throw Lindor batting practice strikes rather than walk him. Coaching anyone?

• Kaline fan

September 10, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Yes, pitch to Lindor (even tho he’s been a little hot), and not back yourself into a 3-2 with Brantley, and THEN toss him a cupcake, trying to get him out!——That’s a fool’s paradise…

• jud

September 11, 2015 at 12:10 am

the game Hinged on the Walk to Lindor, you are right Tony. I HAVE typed this 20 times this year. #1 UNWRITTEN RULE. You cannot let the best player on the other team beat you. You have to see if someone else can. If this happened the other way, Francona would walk Cabrerra..Of course he is a real manager!. They should have thrown ball four to Brantley and see if he would swing. 50/50 on that.

• Kaline fan

September 11, 2015 at 4:16 am

>>>> They should have thrown ball four to Brantley and see if he would swing. 50/50 on that.
        Exactly what I was saying, jud. You’d think that by now, Ausome-ness would know this, and visit mound, or send J Jones, to relay this info, since Hardy didn’t seem to have his thinking cap on either.
        How many years do you need to catch major league pitchers before you learn how to work battery strategies into your daily management style? (More than 18, I guess)…..

10. jud

September 11, 2015 at 3:24 am

Free Press report by George Sipple says The Firing of Brad Ausmus is a done deal!……..one should never kid around about something like this…Nice guy..but without any experience should never have been put in this position. SOMEDAY he might even become a good manager. If a vote is requirred I vote ⬇

• StorminNorman$

September 11, 2015 at 8:00 am

i agree w/you Jud… but i also read in the freep that DET could consider McClendon and Ozzie Guillen for Ausmus replacement – to which i’d say “no thank you” to McClendon, and though Guillen has some good qualities as a mgr – plus he could jell w/DET’s latin players, but i suspect Ozzie’s ego and mouth will grow tiresome for players, fans and mngmt.

11. jud

September 11, 2015 at 10:56 am

As much as they need a good Latino connection, Ozzie is not the guy. I hope they keep Visquel ( defense has improved a ton) if Gardenhire is the guy!. Mc Clendon might be a good manager BUT he would bring too many negative vibes from his time here. I say start fresh , theres enough ex- experienced people to choose from…Gardenhire, Acta, Black…We screwed up on the two I really wanted already Francona and VanSlyke back two years ago. And we paid for it. Reminds me of an old coaches saying. ” you never know, until you know!”…….

12. jud

September 11, 2015 at 10:58 am

Whoever it is has a lot of work to do!

13. jud

September 11, 2015 at 11:24 am

Let’s see they fired DD by phone…how bout at least sending Brad a text,,….what a last class organization!

• Coleman

September 11, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Supposedly the story was leaked from ownership, and caught Al Avila off guard. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but believable considering how things went with Dombrowski. This is a bad omen.

14. Jim EggersUSMC

September 11, 2015 at 2:39 pm

I say we need to clean house.. Lamont, Jones et al… not sure who should take the helm, I am intrigued by the Van Slyke idea, guess we will just have to “wait until next year” In the interim, anybody except the Yanks or the Cards in the WS would be OK with me!

15. StorminNorman$

September 11, 2015 at 4:11 pm

DET select team stats past 4 yrs and MLB team rankings:

2015 – BA .271 1st, OPS .753 3rd, R 606* 9th /\ ERA 4.76 28th
    2014 – BA .277 1st, OPS .757 2nd, R 757 2nd /\ ERA 4.01 24th
    2013 – BA .283 1st, OPS .780 2nd, R 796 2nd /\ ERA 3.61 9th
    2012 – BA .268 6th, OPS .757 7th, R 726 11th /\ ERA 3.75 9th

*22 games remaining

16. Tony de Florida

September 11, 2015 at 7:33 pm

I’m not sure Ozzie Guillen is even a serious contender, but I think it would be fun. Imagine going from Asmus who shows no emotion to a loose cannon like Ozzie who might even slap someone around when needed. For sure he would not calmly discuss a players ejection after the fact, he would be ejected before the player. Give him 2 years while we rebuild.