Game 2009.133: Indians at Tigers

PREGAME: It will be Nate Robertson and Fausto Carmona today as the Tigers try to extend their lead to 5 games. The Twins have an off day so there is no need to scoreboard watch.

Carmona has been inconsistent to say the least this season. He got so bad he was bumped al the way down to A ball. Still, he has held the Tigers to 2 runs in each of his 2 starts against them. Carmona has some extreme platoon splits (970 OPS for lefties, 615 OPS for righties) so I’d guess Leyland will tilt the lineup accordingly.

Robertson gets a second turn after pitching well for 4 innings against the Rays. Robertson providing competent innings this month could be a huge boost to the rotation.

As an aside, the Tigers have never been 11 games over .500 this season…

Cleveland vs. Detroit – September 3, 2009 | MLB.com: Gameday

Robertson warms up

Robertson warms up

POSTGAME: At the last minute I decided to head down for this game, even though it was a day game after a night game, and I’m glad I did. A sweep and a 7 of their last 10 is a nice way to head out on the road.

Robertson looks like a new man, or at least like the guy that wore number 29 in 2006. He spun 6 shut out innings today with 4 K’s and he only needed 80 pitches to do it. Whether or not it lasts remains to be seen, but in his 2 starts he’s given the team a lift and with Washburn missing a start because of his knee, and Rick Porcello’s mounting workload, an extra arm could become very valuable this last month of the season.

Zach Miner also was a big part of today’s win, going the last 2.1 innings and only allowing a walk and a hit by pitch. Ni-Miner was the poor man’s Seay-Lyon today. Ni struggled to put away hitters after getting 2 strikes on them, but Miner held firm until the offense could get that extra run.

And the offense needed the extra time. They only mustered 5 hits all afternoon, but one was a homer, and one was a triple with 2 men on. The last one was a leadoff double leading to the walk-off sacrifice fly (the 3rd sac fly for the team in the last 2 days).

• Adam Everett with 3 walks today. That’s the kind of thing that would make me nuts if the Tigers had been the ones issuing them, but kudos to Everett for getting on base 3 times.
  • Aubrey Huff hit his first ball deep to right-center, but that was the extent of the carry-over from his big night on Tuesday.
  • Ryan Raburn had an up and down game, or more specifically a down game that ended up. He fanned with a runner on 3rd and one out in the 7th. And he made a diving attempt that resulted in a double instead of a single when he couldn’t come up with the ball in 8th. But he scored the winning run after leading off the 10th with a double and putting the whole inning in motion.

1. Matt in AA

September 3, 2009 at 10:33 am

At the very least, Leyland said in his postgame last night that Maggs, Polanco, and Laird are off tonight, so he’s stacking lefties with Thomas, Santiago, and Avila. I’m hoping they come up huge like they have on occasion this year.

2. Mark L

September 3, 2009 at 10:39 am

Go Nate. I’m hoping he can relieve Porcello from another start or two so we can save him for the playoffs.
    I had at one time thought Washburn would be our third starter in the playoffs, but now it’s not looking that way. We’re looking at JV, EJ and Porcello. September should give us a competition for the fourth, between Washburn, Galarraga and Nate.

3. KW

September 3, 2009 at 11:10 am

The Wall Street Journal did a very informal study and ranked announcers by their chattiness. Not surprisingly, the annoyingly talkative Vin Scully came in first. Mario landed himself right in the middle of the pack, which is probably a good thing.

Speaking of Mario, did you ever notice that the 7th and 8th innings seem to be pretty Rod-less most of the time? I wonder if he’s on a schedule and has to poop every night at the same time.

• RPS

September 3, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Gotta get that workout in, podnuh.

• Jeff

September 3, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Did you read the caveat that Scully is the only announcer without a partner?

• KW

September 3, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I did read that, but it doesn’t mean he has to talk NONSTOP. Seriously, he never shuts up. Combine that fact with his unaffected, dry delivery and it’s a recipe for insanity.

• Jeff

September 3, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I disagree. I think he leaves more dead air than the vast majority of broadcasters. It’s actually something he’s known for (not that we need others’ opinions).

As for his delivery, I think it’s a perfect mix of modest excitement and a calm delivery. Similar to Harwell. I’d much rather have that than some of the hyperbolizing, sensationalistic announcers of today who seem to want their words, not the game, the focal point. Someone recently had a perfect quote – Scully complements the game instead of competing with it.

• KW

September 3, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Fair enough, but I find Harwell annoying too. I know, I know–Tiger fan heresy. I guess maybe it’s the old-timeyness of their play calling that I’m not into.

For what it’s worth, I also can’t stand listening to Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, Joe Morgan, Jon Miller, Dan Dickerson, or Jim Price. Maybe I’m just a curmudgeon. I do like Rod and Mario a whole bunch, though. I swear!

• Jeff

September 3, 2009 at 4:31 pm

No, nothing wrong with not liking the old-timers. Taste in announcers is about as subjective as it gets. What style you like probably has more to do with who you grew up listening to than anything.

The thing about today’s announcers is they feel a need to fill the air even when there’s nothing of value to say at the moment — that’s what I mean by complementing the game instead of making the broadcast the focal point. I’m all for funny anecdotes, analysis of a guy’s swing, etc. but they don’t even do that so much as constantly giving their opinions on the MVP race, using hyperboles and repeating the score every batter.

I can’t stand any of the Tigers announcers. I don’t live in Detroit so don’t hear them too much, but they almost never provide any in-depth analysis, such as explaining the finer things — a pitch sequence or why a certain pitcher should come in to face so and so. Also, they sugar coat everything. They’ll say “it didn’t work out” instead of being critical of a player or Leyland.

• KW

September 3, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Jeff, I agree with everything you just wrote.

A lot of Tigers fans seem to like Dickerson and Price, but all they do is talk over each other and repeat themselves. Rod and Mario are a good team. Rod provides a lot of good analysis (okay, sometimes it’s bad), is generally funny, and doesn’t talk too much. Mario is a solid play-by-play guy who knows enough about the game. I agree they’re probably too easy on the players and Leyland, but that doesn’t bother me too much.

BTW, not sure where this post is going to show up. It wouldn’t let me reply directly to your last comment.

• Jeff

September 3, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Yeah, I guess it depends what you’re looking for. Most casual fans probably just want a light-hearted, positive atmosphere without too much analysis.

And I just realized that every criticism I just made about the current Tigers announcers is no different from Harwell and Scully, whom I love, so clearly I’m just biased.

4. RPS

September 3, 2009 at 12:04 pm

If Nate looks okay today, what makes more sense? A six-man rotation, or just giving JV, Jax, and Rick a week off each? Or is Washburn’s completely-not-made-up-because-he’s-an-excuses-sort-of-guy leg injury enough to take him out for a while?

• Jeff

September 3, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Neither. I think you want to keep guys throwing every 5-6 days to keep them both fresh and sharp. I’d have those guys throw 50-70 pitches on their regular schedule, and have Robertson and Miner in long relief. I’m not a pitching coach though.

5. Matt

September 3, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Wow, just checked the Tigers Sept. schedule and they only have 2 days off for the entire month.

I guess if we keep winning that could be a good thing but that sounds like a loooong month to me.

6. Keith (Mr. X)

September 3, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Granderson!! HR!

7. Keith (Mr. X)

September 3, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Nate’s new mechanics is getting some very good results so far. He most certainly did reinvent himself. Crusty veterans like him is what this game is all about.

• Jeff

September 3, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Signing $21M contracts, hamstringing their team financially, then getting out of shape, having a bad attitude, and giving their teams two decent starts in a year?

• Keith (Mr. X)

September 3, 2009 at 2:06 pm

He hamstrung our $125 million payroll all by himself? Really?

Bad attitude? How is that? He did everything the team asked him to do. He was pitching poorly and lost his spot in the rotation and he was not happy about it. Should he lie about not being happy? If he was happy, it would be time to pack the bags and retire. Most highly competitive people won’t be happy when they don’t perform well.

About not pitching, well that happens to the best of them. Whether it’s a health issue, injury related, or not being effective, what difference does it make? Nate did what he needed to do to get himself back to where he is. I’ll be happy if he can be a solid contributor to the rotation for the rest of this season and next season.

• Jeff

September 3, 2009 at 2:51 pm

“He hamstrung our $125 million payroll all by himself? Really?”

No, I should have qualified my statement. Not by himself. His contract has certainly had a negative impact on the team’s financial flexibility though.

“Bad attitude? How is that?”

I thought he complained and/or refused a demotion to Toledo. If neither of those are true, I’m wrong and take back my statement. No, I wouldn’t want him to be happy after getting booted from the rotation.

“About not pitching, well that happens to the best of them. Whether it’s a health issue, injury related, or not being effective, what difference does it make?”

No, giving your team almost two full years of nothing (actually, worse than nothing) in a 3-year contract doesn’t happen to the best of them. You don’t think there’s a difference in terms of culpability between a player who gives his team nothing because of injury vs. sucking? If you’re just saying the impact on the team is the same, you’re right (well, kind of – the team can at least replace the injured guy on the roster, rather than watching the ineffective one cost the team games). But in terms of “what the game is all about,” I respect the guy who comes back from injury over the guy who signs a huge contract, is completely incompetent for almost two full years and then comes back.

“I’ll be happy if he can be a solid contributor to the rotation for the rest of this season and next season.”

Me too. Highly unlikely though, at least in terms of his cost.

• billfer

September 3, 2009 at 6:01 pm

He wasn’t happy about pitching out of the pen. It’s unknown whether or not he refused a demotion. That was never made public one way or the other. As for your other points about injury versus pitching bad, the two are often related. Robertson has spent half of this year on the DL so it was really a little more than a year of sucking and half a year of injury.

• Keith (Mr. X)

September 3, 2009 at 9:53 pm

That’s just how it goes with contracts. You sign a player based on past performance, and you can only have expectations. Consistency and staying youthful is every fans dream.

• Jeff

September 3, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Yes Keith, and the players who don’t live up to their contracts deserve to be criticized. And if they’re bad enough (like Robertson), heavily.

I have to say, even though I disagree with almost everything you say, your optimism is really refreshing. You must be a really pleasant person to be around. It’s good to have people like you to balance out some of us surly skeptics.

• Keith (Mr. X)

September 4, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Jeff- thankyou.

• Stephen

September 3, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Mr. X, you’ve got him re-inventing himself eight inning into his comeback after two years of suckitude! That’s pretty darn remarkable! I love your cock-eyed optimism

8. Stephen

September 3, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Wow, Jim Price made a joke about his partner wearing a Speedo in Fla a couple days later. And now Rod makes the same joke about Mario. Now that’s comedy.

9. Keith (Mr. X)

September 3, 2009 at 1:44 pm

and now we have another lefty in our rotation to face the Twins. Nate’s lifetime stats vs Minnesota are decent too.
    He pitches OK in the Metrodome also.

• Keith (Mr. X)

September 3, 2009 at 1:47 pm

At his current rotation spot he would face the Twins on Sept 19th at the Dome and Sept 30th at Home.

10. Mark in Chicago

September 3, 2009 at 1:59 pm

4 very nice innings by Nate, and only 50 pitches.

11. Jerry the Tiger Fan

September 3, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I am shocked that Nate is pitching this well. Shocked. I like it, but I am used to the Nate version.2008 and early this year. So far he’s done well since coming back from Toledo.

12. Keith (Mr. X)

September 3, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Nate the Great!!

• KW

September 3, 2009 at 2:21 pm

He’ll always be Nate the Mediocre to me.

• Jerry the Tiger Fan

September 3, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Nate the Great??!! I don’t think I’ll give him that title just yet……

13. Walter55

September 3, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Nice DP to get out of the inning. Now lets get some runs. As for Nate you have to wonder if they would have removed the mass from his arm months ago if we would have been seeing a different pitcher this whole year.

• Stephen

September 3, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Maybe, but his career ERA is 5 aka a pretty good sign he is, uh, not very good.

• Walter55

September 3, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I am not saying he is going to turn into Verlander or anything like that but he had a stretch of about 4 years of good to decent pitching. But last year and earlier this year he was pitiful and I am just wondering if that mass in his arm had something to do with it.

14. Coleman

September 3, 2009 at 2:18 pm

When Nate has been any good, it’s been when he gets a lot of ground balls from batters…one thing that happened last season was the pitchers started losing faith in getting outs that way with our bad infield defense. Which makes me think: what would have happened to Porcello if his rookie season was with last year’s defense, and not this year’s?

• Stephen

September 3, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Coleman, You’re overthinking this. Robertson just sucked last year. You put eight gold glovers behind him last year and his ERA would have dropped to 5.50

15. Stephen

September 3, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Inge stat of the day: one double in a month.

16. Coleman

September 3, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Carmona vs Robertson: pitcher’s duel.
    Yep, that was pretty predictable…

17. Coleman

September 3, 2009 at 2:22 pm

C’mon Clete, take off from 1st toward the mound, go after Carmona, you know you want to…

18. Jerry the Tiger Fan

September 3, 2009 at 2:32 pm

How is that guys like Pavano and Carmona struggle vs. everyone but us? Damn Shapiro, you couldn’t have left this guy in the minors until after you left town?

19. Tbone

September 3, 2009 at 2:34 pm

This is as good an outing as we’ve ever had from Nate. Can we please score him a run or two?

20. Coleman

September 3, 2009 at 2:36 pm

We aren’t hitting, just a bunch of lazy at bats, and it’s Leyland’s fault. Our 4-9 hitters are:

Cabrera
    Huff
    Avila
    Inge
    Santiago
    Everett

C.H.A.I.S.E…it’s no wonder they are lounging about today…

• Mark in Chicago

September 3, 2009 at 2:47 pm

brilliant observation, Coleman.

• Stephen

September 3, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Coleman, did I see you perform in the Catskills back in 1958?

• Coleman

September 3, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I think you’re confusing me with my Uncle Henny…

21. Tbone

September 3, 2009 at 2:40 pm

It’s a ‘get out of town fast’ special today!

22. T Smith

September 3, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I am generally not an advocate of bringing Miner in to protect a one run game.

23. Scott

September 3, 2009 at 2:50 pm

What is it that makes Carmona fear the great Everett?

24. Andrew

September 3, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Lets do something with this leadoff walk.

25. Jerry the Tiger Fan

September 3, 2009 at 2:53 pm

The White Sox have taken a 1-0 lead at Wrigley on an Alexi Ramirez RBI single.

26. Walter55

September 3, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Washburn is going to miss his next start in TB on Saturday with Galarraga taking his turn. Well hopefully Battlestar is healthy and Washburn can get that way. Now just need a big hit.

27. Keith (Mr. X)

September 3, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Clete baby Clete!

28. Jerry the Tiger Fan

September 3, 2009 at 2:54 pm

CLETE!!!! 2-run triple. Yes!

29. Scott

September 3, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Clete made Wedge look stupid

• Mark in Chicago

September 3, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Wedge took care of that on his own with his last two years of (mis)managing the Indians.

• Jeff

September 3, 2009 at 3:08 pm

What has he done wrong?

30. Walter55

September 3, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Nice one Clete lets get you home too.

31. Coleman

September 3, 2009 at 2:58 pm

At least the non-loungers are coming through

32. Scott

September 3, 2009 at 3:01 pm

I know it’s only a sample size but Nate looks way better than Washburn at this time. I hope the Washburn trade wasn’t a waste, but in the end will it even matter because Nate can be a good backup option/sixth starter? It may actually work out for the best to spell Porcello.

33. Matt

September 3, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Two of the worst pinch-hitting performances I’ve seen in a while.

34. T Smith

September 3, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Rayburn.

35. Coleman

September 3, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Uh oh, it looks like we have Rayburn in left today instead of Raburn

36. dpb

September 3, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Rayburn strikes again.

37. Matt

September 3, 2009 at 3:17 pm

What happened? Gamecast calls it a double, no mention of an error.

38. Mason

September 3, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Cmon Fu!

39. Randolph

September 3, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Cripes…

40. Tbone

September 3, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Oof.

41. Andrew

September 3, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Rats

42. Dylan

September 3, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Rod Allen jinxed him talking about the runners that he has stranded… Ugh.

43. Matt

September 3, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Winning in walk-off fashion is always more fun.

44. Walter55

September 3, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Man this is why you hate to leave guys at 3rd with less than 2 outs. What did happen on the ball to Raburn should he have caught it?

45. jason

September 3, 2009 at 3:26 pm

ugh

46. Coleman

September 3, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Zach Miner looks like a rabbit.

47. Coleman

September 3, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Raburn charged a sinking liner that got by him…should have been a single.

• Matt

September 3, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Thanks for clarifying for those of us stuck “watching” on the internet.

But you spelled his name wrong.
      ;)

48. Matt

September 3, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Why are these clowns getting the green light on 3 ball counts?

49. Sam

September 3, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I’m scratching my head on leading off an inning with Polanco PHing for Avila? I would of used Polanco for Everett?

• Matt

September 3, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Avila has no hits today. Everett’s walked three times, so at least he’s getting on base.

• Jerry the Tiger Fan

September 3, 2009 at 3:46 pm

The Avila hype train has come to a halt. The kid is ice cold after a red-hot start for the Tigers. I still like Avila as the long-term solution for the Tigers at catcher.

• Keith (Mr. X)

September 3, 2009 at 4:07 pm

That’s because we’re hyping Nate Robertson now. Anyway, everyone knew Avila wasn’t going to hit .400. .308 avg with a 1.027 OPS is pretty darn good for someone who is “ice cold”.

• Jeff

September 3, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Agreed, especially vs. a RHP. Or was Sipp on the mound and they put in Perez after Polanco was announced?

• Sam

September 3, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Jeff,

You are probably right about bringing in Perez after Polanco was announced.

-Sam

50. Coleman

September 3, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Actually I spelled his name correctly, since he wasn’t Rayburn until after the play…

And I’m 3-for-3 now with my Zach Miner good luck charm…like Mario says superstition and baseball literally go hand-in-hand…

• Matt

September 3, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Agree to disagree.

When he struck out with a guy on 3rd and less than two outs, he transformed into Rayburn in my book.

51. KW

September 3, 2009 at 3:46 pm

This ump sucks.

52. Andrew

September 3, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Attaboy Laird!

53. Coleman

September 3, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Laser Laird!!
    There’s another reason to PH for Avila…

54. KW

September 3, 2009 at 3:48 pm

GER BEAR WITH THE CANNON. Did you see how fast he got rid of that ball to nail the runner? Simply amazing.

55. Tbone

September 3, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Lets win this thing right now.

I call Grandy…

56. Coleman

September 3, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Matt, that’s a little tough, since we could end up, using that criteria, with a lineup containing Granderssen, Caberra, Ordonyetz, Temms, and Everest.

• Matt

September 3, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Yeah, I’m certainly rough on the guy in that situation. But he was brought in to pinch hit. While I realize you can’t hit a sac fly on cue every time, I expect him to put the bat on ball and at least make contact. Because we sure as hell ain’t bringing him into the game for his defense.

But yeah you’re probably right. No one is immune to striking out in a key situation.

• Coleman

September 3, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Strikeouts this season with runner on 3rd less than 2 out:

Cabrera 5
        Everett 5
        Ordonez 4
        Granderson 4
        Raburn 4

57. Andrew

September 3, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Extra innings time . . .

58. Vince

September 3, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Seriously? How many times does clete strike out looking to end an inning?

59. Tbone

September 3, 2009 at 3:58 pm

So much for getting out of town early. Damn you Rayburn. Damn you Foo.

60. Tbone

September 3, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Okay – let’s win this thing right here.

I call Raburn!

61. Coleman

September 3, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Raburn!

He sheds the Scarlett ‘Y’

62. Keith (Mr. X)

September 3, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Magglio!!!!

63. Coleman

September 3, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Man, must avoid the GIDP beast….

64. Randolph

September 3, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Let’s go Polanco, put the bat on the ball into the outfield.

65. Randolph

September 3, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Great to see the win after the bullpen blew the game.

66. Keith (Mr. X)

September 3, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Game over!!! Nate is Great, but Miner is Finer.

Sweep!

• Chris

September 3, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Ni… Well, next time we’ll see.

67. Jud

September 3, 2009 at 4:20 pm

funny that Rayburn screws up in the field and Raburn follows it up with a big hit again…its almost like two different guys…….And how about Nate today……Wow 5 game lead…..a 15 and 14 means the Twinkies need to go 21-9 just to tie……

• Mark in Chicago

September 3, 2009 at 5:05 pm

we still have to play the twins 7 times, including 3 in that godforesaken dome. that could be the great equalizer. a 5-2 or 6-1 twins run erases that 5 game lead in a hurry.

• Andre in Chi

September 3, 2009 at 6:03 pm

As worried as we are about playing the Twins, I’m guessing the Twins are just as worried about us winning games with Rayburn leading off. And yes, I realize I’m a day late on that.

68. Kathy

September 3, 2009 at 4:51 pm

I listened to the game on the radio today. Dan and Jim were great….a nice change from Mario and they stuck to the game. Felt like I was right there. Terrific ending.

• Andrew

September 3, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Radio is the way to go. Watch it on tv with the sound muted and the radio broadcast turned up :)

69. Brenden

September 3, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Sweep!

70. LindaLou

September 3, 2009 at 8:43 pm

I was without internet access this afternoon so am just now reading the comments. If I didn’t know better, I would guess that you people are following a last place Bad News Bears team and not the first place Detroit Tigers. They’re not going to win them all and the players are not always going to be perfect. Baseball is a game of failure. Let’s get behind the team and quitcherbitchin!

Great image but NSFW caption: http://s812.photobucket.com/al.....edia_share