Game 2009.100: Tigers at Rangers

by billfer on July 29, 2009 · 72 comments

in 2009 Season,Game Post

PREGAME: When the Tigers were being swept by the Yankees, they were at least ultra-competitive games that saw the series come down to a 9-5 score. The Tigers have been outscored 12-5 so far in this Rangers series. I think I preferred the ultra-competitive heart wrenching games than the games without heart.

The Tigers will try to muster some offense against Scott Feldman who sports a 3.59 ERA. Feldman’s peripherals are unimpressive. His walk rate is a touch under 3 per 9, but he only fans a batter every other inning. But he has managed to go at least 6 innings in 14 of his last 15 starts.

Justin Verlander takes the hill for Detroit. Verlander is coming off a huge 127 pitch dominant performance against the White Sox. The Tigers look to him once again to pick up a much needed win.

Detroit vs. Texas – July 29, 2009 | MLB.com: Gameday

POSTGAME: Can you believe the Tigers stranded 13 runners tonight?! It’s not nearly as problematic when you plate 13 as well. The Tigers haven’t had a lot of laughers in the last couple months, and the team needed some smiles after looking dead the night before. Early runs, a big cushion, and Verlander pitching nasty meant the drama was pretty limited in this one.

• The Tigers were quite patient early on and made Feldman work, which worked to their advantage. They left the bases loaded in the first, but Feldman threw 38 pitches. Unlike other games though where they’ll let a starter off the hook, they came back in subsequent innings and plated runs.
  • Grandy had homers in his first 2 at-bats.
  • Cabrera had 4 hits and his 2 outs came on great playes from Byrd and Vizquel. He also got hits with guys on base. With it being a blow out they weren’t really “clutch” but hopefully it relaxes him.
  • Ordonez still found himself in a double play situation. This time he roped a liner at the pitcher who caught Guillen off second base.
  • Verlander matched a career high with 13 strike outs. He got in a jam in the 5th inning and what ensued wasn’t really the art of pitching. Fifteen of the last sixteen pitches the threw that inning were fastballs.
  • Texas pitchers threw 195 pitches
  • Jim Leyland had a wonderful opportunity to give Verlander a light outing and Inge a full day off. He did neither bringing Verlander out for the 7th inning despite a 9 run lead, a rested bullpen, and an off day tomorrow. Inge also came in as a defensive replacement. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

{ 72 comments }

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 7:51 pm

The Tigers have most of their big hitters in line-up. Should be a good move if Verlander is unhittable again, then the defense won’t even matter much. Otherwise, it could get ugly.

Right now Texas is 1.5 games behind Boston in the wild-card race and 3 games behind LA in the West. Every game is a huge game for the Rangers.

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 8:04 pm

I like the 8 o’clock start time. Gives me an extra hour to enjoy the outdoors.

I agree with Billfer. I’d rather lose 2-1 gut wrenching games like we did vs Seattle and NY, than lose like we have these last 2 games. I’m not fussy about how we win; any win is nice for me.

Tigercub33 July 29, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Why is Maggs starting – Feldman is a RH. Looks like that option is going to vest…

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 8:25 pm

And Everett is SS, not Santiago…I’m guessing that even though his is RH, LH batters don’t hit him much better than RH batters

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 8:08 pm

GRANDERSON!!

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 8:30 pm

I wouldn’t celebrate…the T-bone Theory says we’re doomed…

jason July 29, 2009 at 8:20 pm

2 walks and rayburn is hacking away at the first pitch

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 8:24 pm

It’s not for nothing he has been called Baby Inge…sometimes he makes easy things difficult and makes the difficult look easy.

Ken in Vegas July 29, 2009 at 8:24 pm

The guys throws 40 pitches in an inning and we only score 1 run. That’s actually hard to do.

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Something else hard to do is pitch more than a couple of innings if you start out with 40 pitches in the first. OK Vegas guy, what kind of odds would you take on this guy still being on the mound in the 5th? I say he is…

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Verlander’s 1st inning was spectacular.

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Hmm, maybe, but it took him 16 pitches and there was a guy he didn’t even strikeout! Hopefully no more of those not striking-out-batter lapses next inning.

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Hmm, I think Andruw “Gold Glove DH” Jones took that “not-striking-out” thing a bit farther than is called for.

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 8:35 pm

There goes Granderson again!! This Feldman guy ought to do stand up comedy. Watching him pitch is making me laugh.

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 8:39 pm

I think we can expand the T-bone theory now:

When Granderson hit a leadoff homer, we always lose…unless he hits another one his next time up.

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Feldman is getting out of these innings by the skin of his teeth. This might just turn into a real laugh fest.

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Actually he has a problem. Just see billfer’s pre-game…the guy doesn’t walk many, but also doesn’t strike out many.

Tiger’s: Walks? What’s that?

“He doesn’t walk many” is something you could pretty much say about the guy named Guy Pitching Against the Tigers. So if you aren’t striking out Tigers, in a hitter-friendly park, you better be at least a little bit lucky…

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Tiger’s scoring 4, and the 2nd not even over: excellent
Tiger’s scoring 4, and the 2nd not even over and Verlander on the mound: a near sure-thing
Tiger’s scoring 4, and the 2nd not even over and Verlander on the mound and the next AB results in: “M. Cabrera singled to pitcher”: Priceless

Kevin at the game July 29, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I really like Maggs’ swing on that last lineout.

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 9:09 pm

So now you’re Kevin in Arlington…so hard to keep track of…

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 9:12 pm

If I were writing something fictional which included characters who were baseball players, it would never occur to me to name one of them “Teagarden.”

And even if it did, it would never occur to me to make the Teagarden character be the catcher.

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Thames!!

mcb July 29, 2009 at 9:21 pm

I’m thinkin Arbys…

Kevin at the game July 29, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Is Marcus tipping his hat to someone when he rounds 1st?

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Crap. That pitch hit Laird pretty good. I hope he isn’t hurt. We can’t afford an injury to him. Who is next in the depth carts at catcher? Is Sardinha still in the organization? Is Avila ready for a call up?

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Are you forgetting the Invisible Dusty Ryan, catcher-with-the-stripper-name?

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 9:38 pm

I kind of meant who would be the back-up for Ryan?

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 9:52 pm

That would definitely be Sardinha, unless they think Candy Snow is ready.

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 9:29 pm

On a more philosophical note, it’s odd how certain hitters are ball-magnets; if you hear a Tiger is hit by the pitch, you already know it’s either Polanco, Inge, or Laird, before you even hear the name. They don’t seem to crowd the plate more than anyone else…

And in general, the catcher always leads the team in HBP. (Inge leads the Tigers, but then he was a catcher, wasn’t he?). Is that because they’ve had so many balls ricocheted off so many places that when they see the pitch heading at them they just think, oh whatever, let it nail them, and take their base?

stephen July 29, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Nice production out of our third baseman tonight! I love our third baseman!

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 9:33 pm

You love Baby Inge? This is confusing…

stephen July 29, 2009 at 9:35 pm

I love any 3rd baseman who gets two hits and an rbi!

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Oh dear, I don’t think you know what you’re saying…you mean you’ve loved Inge probably 10+ times this season already?

stephen July 29, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Exactly 18 times to be exact. That leaves about 80 games of sadness. And I’m guessing I’ve loved Inge 150 times in his career. Too bad that he’s played almost 1100 games! That’s a happiness to disappointment level lower than my dating career.

mcb July 29, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Verlander is dealing…

Steve July 29, 2009 at 9:46 pm

MCB, So are the Indians…………. dealing themselves right into the basement. I guess time will tell but if you are a Tribe fan you are puking about almost everything related to your team

Anson July 29, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Hey you guys know what would be awesome?

Out scoring the other team in a series and still losing the series. I just love it when it happens, it’s like they collectively chose to work only once every three days.

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Maybe Texas scoring them runs will solve your problem.

charlie July 29, 2009 at 9:46 pm

on a night when our AAA and AA players would be hitting the ball…maggs is dealing an ofer…you just gotta wonder. personally i think the tigers are giving him just enough at bats to either prove he can still play or that he can’t. i don’t think the option will vest and i don’t think boras can do anything about it.

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 10:03 pm

That Texas rally was a little too exciting to watch. Nice job by Verlander to get out it!

Kevin in Arlington July 29, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Come to Dallas stephen. We’ll get that sorted out in one night.

stephen July 29, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Sounds good, but now I’m doing ok. I’m having an Inge in April year.

Chris in Dallas July 30, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Where were you at? I was in the Lexus Club level. I was almost in the Tigers dugout in the 7th though when JL put Verlander back out there. I was in a strangling mood.

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Laird stretches out a single into a double, then steals 3rd base. That is some good hustle there.

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Then he scored on a sac fly ball to shallow right field. Wow!

Gabe July 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm

If Granderson hits a homerun here, I plan on referring to him as “One Man Arby’s” from here on out.

RPS July 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Prediction: This will be Magglio’s last game as a Tiger. The more I think about it, the more I think the only conceivable reason for him to be playing tonight and not be removed yet is a desperate hope that he hits two homers and can be traded for scraps (or like a million of salary relief) instead of released outright.

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Everyday people keep thinking and saying that. If he’s released he could still play for another team and get the playing time he needs to get the option years kicked in. The Tigers would still have to pay his contract and be at risk of being hit with a grievance from the players union. In the future, other players may be very reluctant in signing with the Tigers also. I think it’s just a bad move all around for the Tigers to release him.

billfer July 29, 2009 at 10:23 pm

I hope Jim takes out Verlander at this point. No need to put him back out there with a big lead, a well rested pen, and an off day tomorrow.

Kevin in Arlington July 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm

So effortless for Miggy at times.

Steve July 29, 2009 at 10:27 pm

16 hits, wow that is awesome

Jeff Molby July 29, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Geez, Miguel. He lofts one that doesn’t even make it into the first row and he’s admiring it so much that it lands well before he makes it to first base. C’mon man.. pretend you’ve done it before.

jason July 29, 2009 at 10:30 pm

i was thinking the same thing

Jud July 29, 2009 at 10:37 pm

actually he was in shock that he got an extra base hit with runners on! He couldn’t get over it

Anson July 29, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Can they please put Grilli out there just so we can beat the crap out of him?

Mike in CT July 29, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Amazing…12 runs tonight (so far) matches the output from the last five games (2-3 in that span).

Let’s hope this carries into Cleveland, but I fear Carl Pavano pitches well enough Sunday to sucker some team into signing him for 2010.

Jud July 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm

does this round of 13 runs pretty much assure that Jackson will get 1 in support on Friday?????

Jeff Molby July 29, 2009 at 10:40 pm

lol JV throwing 110+ and an injured Inge as defensive replacement…

I guess JL really wants to win this one.

Coleman July 29, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Especially since the idea was to rest Inge by giving him a day off before an off-day…does this mean they don’t get an off-day now?

Actually I think the reason for the move is obvious. A hyper Inge is bugging the crap out of Leyland in the dugout.

Mark in Chicago July 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Why did Verlander stay in for 115 pitches? It’s 13-4 and you need 9 outs. And JV is coming off a 127-pitch outing. There isn’t ANYBODY at the back end of the bullpen you can use, especially with an off day tomorrow?

I don’t get that at all, Jimmuh…

Mark in Chicago July 29, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Sox lost to Minny, 3-2. Hawk nearly wet himself as the Sox put runners on 2nd and 3rd against Nathan in the 9th, but Kotsay lined the first pitch to RF for the final out.

Greg July 29, 2009 at 11:27 pm

Thank you. I said the same thing about his last start. There’s going to come a time in September or October when we need Verlander to be strong late in the game, and he won’t have it.

billfer July 29, 2009 at 11:34 pm

I understood it in his last start. Tonight was senseless.

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 10:45 pm

The Tigers have scored in every inning so far. Sure is nice to break out of that team hitting slump.

13 k’s for Verlander. This has turned into a game to remember.

Jud July 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm

hopefully this offensive on-slaught will continue into the Cleveland reservation where the good Indians are fleeing the reservation everyday now!

jason July 29, 2009 at 10:56 pm

they blew it and didn’t score in the 8th. first inning they failed to score

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Granderson lead-off the game with a HR.

Ron July 29, 2009 at 11:02 pm

It’s a little ambiguous, but he means that the 8th was the first inning that they failed to score a run. No AL team has scored at least one run all nine innings this year, and I believe the last time was the Yankees in ’06. Oh well.

Jud July 29, 2009 at 10:59 pm

as good as Laird played tonight maybe he should get a day off once in awhile. Ryan did fine last night

Jud July 29, 2009 at 11:16 pm

well every win is a good win!

Keith (Mr. X) July 29, 2009 at 11:41 pm

In the meantime, the White Sox got swept by Minnesota and have lost 6 of their last 7 games. Next they have a 4 game series vs the Yankees, then 3 games vs the Angels. They won’t be getting any sympathy cards from me.

Keith (Mr. X) July 30, 2009 at 1:58 am

I figured out that it was the “Bizarro World” Tigers that we were watching. Feldman pitching is what really made it like the Seinfeld episode.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site