Game 2009.085: Indians at Tigers

by billfer on July 10, 2009 · 54 comments

in 2009 Season,Game Post

PREGAME: Talk about some tough pitching match-ups. The Tigers just got done facing Zach Greinke and now they welcome in Cliff Lee. Lee was knocked around by the White Sox two starts back, but that is really on the only blemish in his last 5 games. He has 85 K’s and 31 walks in 120 innnings. The last time the Tigers faced Lee he was outdueled by Justin Verlander.

Tonight Lee will face the Tigers other ace, Edwin Jackson. Jackson has been effective lately, but not as dominant as he was earlier in the season. Jackson has walked 4 batters in 3 of his last 5 starts.

Cleveland vs. Detroit – July 10, 2009 | MLB.com: Gameday

HEADS UP: I’m going to be watching part of this game from the FS Detroit truck. I’ll have some updates on Twitter (@billfer)

{ 54 comments }

Matt July 10, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Prediction: E-Jax FINALLY gets some run support tonight.

Davtigerfan July 10, 2009 at 1:20 pm

I hope so, it would be nice to see him get a win before All-Star break. I would love to see a sweep and end the first half on a good note. Maybe it could lead to a hot start to the second half, which is at the Yankees!

ian July 10, 2009 at 3:04 pm

im confused…id it Lee or Pavano?mlb.com and tiger website have Pavano in their preview writeups

Jerry the Tiger Fan July 10, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Not really related to the Tiger/Indian series this weekend (it kind of is if you think about it), but if you ever needed a reason to dislike Ken “The Hawk” Harrelson (and really who does like this guy that is not a Chisox fan?), read this blurb from the twincities.com. Harrelson is interviewed about the upcoming Twins/WhiteSox series this weekend and basically dismisses our Tigers as a player in the AL Central race.
Link: http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_12798258.

Keith (Mr. X) July 10, 2009 at 4:11 pm

I don’t see Chicago even being .500 team at the end of the year. They have a really tough 2nd half schedule. 54 of their remaining games are against .500+ teams. About half of those games are vs NY, Boston, TB, and LA.

The Twins might be tough to hold off. Only 39 of their remaining games are against .500+ teams, but the majority of their games are away from the Metrodome.

The Tigers have 46 remaining games vs .500+ teams, and we have a home field advantage in the majority of those games.

KC plays 61 games vs .500+ teams and most of their games are on the road.

Cleveland has 56 games vs .500+ clubs.

Ryan P. July 10, 2009 at 3:13 pm
Andre in Chi July 10, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Tasteful.

Ryan P. July 10, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Well deserved.

Andre in Chi July 10, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Not my job to police this site, but you make us look like douches with comments like that. Not to mention disrespecting the family involved in the accident. However, its a free country. Or is it?

Ryan P. July 10, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Sorry if it offended you. Billfer can delete it; I can’t. Won’t bother you anymore.

Later guys. Go Tigers.

Andre in Chi July 10, 2009 at 3:44 pm

You don’t bother me, and in general I’m all for hating on Hawk, just not like that. I half-way hoped he’d keel over after all of his “Hell-yeahs” the other night when ‘Paulie’ belted 3 HR :) In the end its just a game, kinda.

Vince in MN July 10, 2009 at 5:33 pm

The Tigers need to get to Lee early and get him out of there. He’s their best pitcher; after that the falloff is pretty dramatic and the bullpen is pretty bad. Jackson has to bring his A-game though because the Indians offense is potent – no free passes please.

Dylan July 10, 2009 at 7:21 pm

I loved that home-away graphic because we have played so many more games on the road this year. Gives me hope that we could avoid the second half slump that has plagued us time and time again…

Anyone have data on how many home/away games we had played at the break over the last few years?

Keith (Mr. X) July 10, 2009 at 7:49 pm

The bottom half of Cleveland’s line-up is rather weak. Their 8th and 9th hitters are at the Mendoza line.

Keith (Mr. X) July 10, 2009 at 7:54 pm

What is Garko doing in RF diving for that ball. Man, that looked horrible. What is he doing if RF anyway?

Keith (Mr. X) July 10, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Josh Anderson with some clutch hitting. The bottom of our line-up comes threw once again.

jud July 10, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Jackson’s on cruise control right now

Joel in Seattle July 10, 2009 at 8:46 pm

So, looks like I missed something. Where’s Granderson?

jud July 10, 2009 at 8:48 pm

daY OFF for Grandy until Andeson got hit in the elbow last time up so He’s out of there ..was playing center..

Joel in Seattle July 10, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Really? The guy is 28, and it’s 3 days before the All-Star Break. I know he’s playing in the ASG, but that’s just plain weird.

T Smith July 10, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Granderson has been slumping and Lee is a lefty. So it’s really not that weird.

jud July 10, 2009 at 9:11 pm

this game used to be in the bag……I disagree with putting in Zumaya move totally..just to go on record

great pitching change getting Zoom out of there…just to go on record again

T Smith July 10, 2009 at 9:12 pm

I would have let Jackson start this inning. He had 15 more pithces in him. It’s just not the right move. One walk by Zumaya and I pull him.

jud July 10, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I think Zumaya hurt his “Guitar hero” thumb so they aren’t taking any chances he might be on the Video game DL for the all star week

jud July 10, 2009 at 9:16 pm

let the real game begin………….

Coleman July 10, 2009 at 9:18 pm

It’s nice to see that the new guy (Ed-Jack) never got the memo that Shoppach is supposed to kill us…

T Smith July 10, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Also, Seay shouldn’t be pitching against Martinez. Who’s in charge here?

jri July 10, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Did Zoom get hurt, or did Leyland finally get sick of him throwing balls?

Dylan July 10, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Zoom has a cut on his finger. They showed a great shot on STO down here in Cleveland.

jud July 10, 2009 at 9:24 pm

not to worry XBox360 is flying in a specialist to check him out

billfer July 10, 2009 at 9:26 pm

You should have seen the shot they had on FS Detroit :)

Vince in MN July 10, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Possible silver lining to this story.

jud July 10, 2009 at 9:21 pm

WTF……hey Bobby how bout a strike or two

jri July 10, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Thanks. I was hoping they finally got sick of him throwing strikes.

Vince in MN July 10, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Is Ni the only guy that can come in and throw strikes?

jri July 10, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Err, balls.

jud July 10, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Bobbi way to redeem your self ,,,,,,and get Zooms walk out also….Great two outs

jud July 10, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Country Strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vince in MN July 10, 2009 at 9:35 pm

I like Marcus Thames. And Clete Thomas takes another AB away from “Vesting Option” Ordonez.

Dylan July 10, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Rodney in a no save situation… oh dear…

Vince in MN July 10, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Asking for trouble.

jud July 10, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Unbelievable

however great win for Jackson…..Good to see him get a win in this game!

sky July 10, 2009 at 9:53 pm

why, no matter what this year’s records show, am I always afraid to death when Rodney has to end a game like this? why does he justify my fear so often? is it me or anyone else suspect he has some issues in his head that affect his late game control?

Keith (Mr. X) July 10, 2009 at 9:54 pm

What an easy win. The Indians didn’t have much going for the entire game.

Meanwhile, the Twins and White Sox are battling it out with each other. It couldn’t be any better for the Tigers right now.

Chris July 10, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Jackson is our ace. He has been extremely consistent all season. Has he had an outing where he didn’t give the Tigers a chance to win?

Ryan July 10, 2009 at 11:51 pm

What a true ace. He’s going to be a stud for years to come, as long as he doesn’t pull a Carmona on us.

Eric Cioe July 11, 2009 at 1:52 am

Guys, guys, Jackson is great, but let’s not confuse ourselves and try and say that he’s better than Verlander, because he isn’t.

Vince in MN July 11, 2009 at 2:11 am

Statistically speaking, after an equal number of starts Jackson leads in all categories with the exception of Ks. Jackson has allowed 12 fewer earned runs than V, accounting for his ERA of a run less.

David July 11, 2009 at 7:10 am

Jackson has been more consistently very good. Verlander has been more dominant (ie literally un-hitable – at times) and has had several blowups.

Coleman July 11, 2009 at 4:52 am

Actually I expect Verlander to emerge as the Ace (well maybe they both are, but Verlander is the Ace of Spades*)…and I think it will partly be spurred on by the performance of Ed-Jack and the murmurings of questions of acehood.

I don’t think Verlander wears unquestioned acehood well.

*Random Motorhead reference

Coleman July 11, 2009 at 5:02 am

I have to update my post, since I was looking at Ed-Jack’s Baseball Reference page and noticed he rates as second closest in similarity to…Dick Pole. I think in an acehoood tie you’ve got to give the nod to the one with Dick Pole similarity…well, OK, Verlander scores Jack Morris on his similarity list so maybe that’s worth an extra point also…this acehood thing is complicated…

Coach Jim July 11, 2009 at 10:35 am

Complicated…and unnecessary. Just appreciate how well they are both pitching.

MCM July 11, 2009 at 11:40 am

Watched the game from a sports bar at Cedar Point – Cleveland commentators were ripping on Miguel Cabrera after he made that awesome dive to his right then throw over to Jackson for the out…they were saying they couldn’t believe he got to that ball, calling him a mediocre first baseman. Unfortunately he couldn’t hold that low throw from Inge later in the game – that just gave the commentators more fodder for their theory that Cab is merely mediocre at first.

I was imagining Rod and Mario pointing out how much Cab has improved since he started at first and that he’s only gonna get better in time.

mcb July 11, 2009 at 3:15 pm

@ MCM

That’s exactly what they said…I believe a future gold glove possibility was mentioned.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site