Head west young man

by billfer on June 17, 2008 · 14 comments

in 2008 Season,Injuries

Joel Zumaya’s rehab assignment is finished. He was to throw for the Mud Hens today so he could work in back to back games, but they opted for a bullpen session instead of the noon start. Following the 14 pitch session Zumaya was on his way to the airport to meet the team in San Diego.

Now San Diego is his hometown having grown up in Chula Vista. That means he’ll be home for 3 days with the team not playing the Padres until Friday. Here’s hoping that he avoids any manual labor and calls in professionals if need be.

He won’t be activated of course until the Friday game, which means someone needs to go down. There are 3 bullpen pitchers with options in Freddy Dolsi, Zach Miner, and Casey Fossum (nice sleuthing Eddie) who could be candidates.

{ 14 comments }

Sean C. in Illinois June 17, 2008 at 5:04 pm

Send Fossum and Miner both down, Miner to stretch, and bring Rapada back up.

T Smith June 17, 2008 at 5:07 pm

“…Here’s hoping that he avoids any manual labor and calls in professionals if need be….”

That’s rich.

Sean C. in Illinois June 17, 2008 at 5:08 pm

I thought it was supposed to be “Go west, young man.”

Help me out here, Chris. T Smith?

judpma June 17, 2008 at 5:20 pm

home for three days !!!!!!!!!!…….he only needs one to screw up

Chris in Dallas June 17, 2008 at 5:24 pm
billfer June 17, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Fair use law is biting bloggers in the butt lately. So I don’t want to infringe onanything, hence the veiled reference :)

Sean C. in Illinois June 17, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Aha, Billfer! Looks like I’m the one in trouble. Might not be too late to edit…

Sean C. in Illinois June 17, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Doh! I was only using it for educational purposes. There was no commercial gain. And I’d love to credit the author, but it’s not something I know offhand. What a mess I’ve gotten myself into.

tiff June 17, 2008 at 7:28 pm

he’s apologized for and explained the kegstand pictures a few times already… let’s drop it, I don’t think it’s an issue, it obviously hasn’t affected his rehab as he’s come back sooner than expected and dropped 30 pounds for good measure.

Mike R June 17, 2008 at 8:23 pm

An early twenties athlete with free time on his hands and more money than most of us will see doing keg stands and having a good time. OH WHATEVER WILL WE DO!?!?!?!?!?

rings June 17, 2008 at 10:58 pm

He and Rodney need command to be effective – Rodney of his fastball, and Zoom of his breaking ball.

I have hopes, but limited expectations.

Eddie June 17, 2008 at 11:07 pm

To clarify, Fossum does have an option left, but can’t be sent to the minors without accepting the assignment. The option just means he doesn’t have to clear waivers.

Mith June 18, 2008 at 11:58 am

Amen!

Chris in Dallas June 18, 2008 at 12:04 pm

Yes, I know Zumaya has explained himself and all of that. Not that he needed to. That doesn’t mean I can’t bust balls, though. Those photos are pure comedy gold from where I’m standing.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site