Tigers sign Miguel Cabrera to one year deal

by billfer on January 18, 2008 · 7 comments

in 2008 Season,Contracts

The AP is reporting that the Tigers inked Miguel Cabrera to a 1 year $11.3 million deal.

The team is of course trying to sign him to a long term deal, and I wouldn’t view this as an indication there are any problems on that front. This is a matter of taking care of arbitration business (Dombrowski just doesn’t do arbitration). I’d venture a guess that the two sides are still working on a long term extension.

Bobby Seay is the only arbitration eligible player not yet signed, but I think that gets taken care of quickly.

UPDATE: Bobby Seay’s deal was announced today also. A one year contract, terms undisclosed.

The Tigers payroll has now officially topped the $130 million mark.

{ 7 comments }

Andrew January 18, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Billfer,

Thanks for the positive spin. I just saw the news on the AP wire and thought, “great, we won’t be getting a long term deal.” Glad to hear that a long term deal is still in the works.

Yikes on the payroll! World Series or Bust!

Kyle J January 18, 2008 at 7:58 pm

Meaning the payroll will have almost doubled in three years and nearly tripled in four years.

Steve in Kzoo January 19, 2008 at 6:13 am

I believe that Ilitch even though its(payroll) a lot higher then even he anticipated I believe that he believes in this team. Mr. I will probably keep the payroll up like this as long as we are a good team. For some players it might be WS or bust, but I think in the long haul as long as the Tigers maintain this level of excellence, winning, and playoffs, Mr. I will keep the payroll up and DD will keep on bringing in top of the line prospects and other players(FA and trades). WS in next 1-3 years for sure!!

David G. January 19, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Payroll looks fine to me, but making the playoffs will help. By the time it’s time to pay Cabs, Verlander, Grandy, and (maybe) Zoom, we will have Sheff, Pudge, Rogers, Jones, all off the books.

Mike R January 19, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Payroll to me, too, is a non-issue. Especially since the Tigers are turning profits for 2 consecutive years and the success of Tigerfest means that they’ll likely do it again. Add to that a possible playoff birth and excess funds from that and the payroll should rise. Hoarding profits in sports just makes you a bad owner, in my opinion.

billfer January 19, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Well, I don’t think it is necessarily an issue, but it is noteworthy. Next year could get very interesting with $95 million already committed. What that doesn’t include is Cabrera, arb-ready Verlander and Granderson, a catcher, a closer, and a 5th starter. Luxury tax could be a possibility in 2009.

Jim January 20, 2008 at 1:51 am

hope you guys are ready for little caesers 10$ larges soon :P

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site