Spring Training 2007 Day 1 wrap-up

by billfer on February 16, 2007 · 10 comments

in 2007 Season,Fan Experience,Former Tigers,Spring Training

PFP

The first day of spring training every year brings pitchers fielding practice. Today was no different, except for the fact that there were 50 media assembled to see if the Tigers pitchers could throw the ball to third base. Now let’s move on.

credit: Roger DeWitt

They wear many hats

That section headline reminds me of a clue that Chuck Woolery would have given on Scrabble back in the day. In this case though it refers to the new hats the Tigers are sporting. Either New Era or the Tigers have added goofy white detailing the the Tigers BP hats. Not really a big fan and I can’t imagine fans clamoring to buy them. I’ll keep an eye on Uniwatch for more information.

Three out of 10 GMs prefer Yankees

MLB.com polled the 30 general managers to get their preseason picks for World Series champs. The Yankees and Red Sox dominated getting 17 of the 30 votes, but 2 GMs picked the Tigers.

“With the pitching staff they have and adding Sheffield makes the Tigers an easy favorite for me,” one manager said.

Added another: “As long as that pitching holds up, they’re the team to beat.”

Maybin braces for a long season
credit Roger DeWitt

Position players continue to arrive

Cameron Maybin has appeared in Lakeland, as have Craig Monroe and Carlos Guillen. Roger DeWitt reports that Craig arrived in a large limo. To quote Rod Allen: “Craig, get down with your bad self.” Mostly I just mention this so I could use the photo and the caption that Maybin is “bracing” for something.

The roundup

Other links of note:

{ 2 trackbacks }

{ 8 comments }

Joey the K February 17, 2007 at 2:10 am

looks like all or most teams have those goofy new spring training hats.

On yahoo sports there is video talking about the 3 most improved teams, guess who is picked as #1? I’ll give you a hint, it starts with Detroit and ends with igers.

Rings February 17, 2007 at 8:40 am

Uniwatch had an article a couple weeks ago about 5-6 teams with the new BP hat. Here’s a link to their away cap: http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/chstuff_1933_60311561
I’ll look for the uniwatch link.
And this is GREAT news for West Michigan regarding LAV. The is the RIF of west side, a 50yr old classic station, one of the original GR broadcasters. It also has one of the strongest signals and will cover the entire western third of the state, from Kzoo to Lansing to Cadillac.
The previous 640AM was terrible, weak signal, they wouldn’t carry the pre- or post-game shows, and they wouldn’t promote it or sell adverts. It was a miserable failure.

Jeff M February 17, 2007 at 8:55 am

Buried in the MLive article:

“There’s a whole lot of difference between (Zumaya) and Matt Anderson,” Jones said. “I like (Zumaya). That’s the difference.”

Kyle J February 17, 2007 at 11:28 am

“As long as that pitching holds up, they’re the team to beat.”

Despite everything that happened last year, it’s still somewhat surreal to see a legitimate baseball expert make that statement about the Tigers. On the other hand, it’s also a little sad to know that the pure joy of last season’s run will be replaced with the pressure associated with being a contender from the get-go.

Eric Jackson February 17, 2007 at 11:49 am

There have been many complaining about a number of New Era hats so far. Probably the most egregious hat is a new Cincinnati Reds hat.

Chris in Nashville February 18, 2007 at 2:44 am

DAMN Grandy looks RIPPED!!!! You are right on that one Bilfer, he must wear a baggy uni, because he def looks like a small guy on the field. And good to see Maybin is already there.

Jakob July 22, 2007 at 3:08 pm

This is exactly what I expected to find out after reading the title Spring Training 2007 Day 1 wrap-up. Thanks for informative article

Pathloyadly October 20, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Hi,
I am, Edward
lots of great posts on here
my site:

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site