The first day of spring training every year brings pitchers fielding practice. Today was no different, except for the fact that there were 50 media assembled to see if the Tigers pitchers could throw the ball to third base. Now let’s move on.
credit: Roger DeWitt
They wear many hats
That section headline reminds me of a clue that Chuck Woolery would have given on Scrabble back in the day. In this case though it refers to the new hats the Tigers are sporting. Either New Era or the Tigers have added goofy white detailing the the Tigers BP hats. Not really a big fan and I can’t imagine fans clamoring to buy them. I’ll keep an eye on Uniwatch for more information.
Three out of 10 GMs prefer Yankees
MLB.com polled the 30 general managers to get their preseason picks for World Series champs. The Yankees and Red Sox dominated getting 17 of the 30 votes, but 2 GMs picked the Tigers.
“With the pitching staff they have and adding Sheffield makes the Tigers an easy favorite for me,” one manager said.
Added another: “As long as that pitching holds up, they’re the team to beat.”
Maybin braces for a long season
credit Roger DeWitt
Position players continue to arrive
Cameron Maybin has appeared in Lakeland, as have Craig Monroe and Carlos Guillen. Roger DeWitt reports that Craig arrived in a large limo. To quote Rod Allen: “Craig, get down with your bad self.” Mostly I just mention this so I could use the photo and the caption that Maybin is “bracing” for something.
Other links of note:
- Leyland tells pitchers that he pretty much knows who’ll be breaking camp
- Verlander climbing the wall.
- The Hardball Times ranks the Tigers organization 7th in MLB. The highest ranking so far.
- “I am a meat hunter. If it fits in a skillet, I kill it. I eat everything I kill”. I miss Jamie Walker already.
- Grand Rapids lost the affiliate that carried Tigers game last year, but today it was announced that WLAV will pipe the games to the area.