Verlander ROY

1. Chris in Nashville

November 13, 2006 at 4:36 pm

I think this was the right call here. Verlander struggled down the stretch, but he did enough to prove he was the hands-down rookie for the year. If Liriano stayed healthy and kept up the pace he was on, HE would have won hands down. I think Verlander is going to be a stud if he stays healthy, his stuff is just too nasty. I feel bad for Liriano, but I’m glad he’s hurt for next year. The AL Central will be tough enough as it is without having to face him next year.

2. Joey C.

November 13, 2006 at 4:47 pm

Very much deserved. Congrats Justin!

3. John P in CT

November 13, 2006 at 6:17 pm

Good for Justin (clap clap). I can’t say I am glad Liriano is hurt. I want to win, but never like that.

4. Ken from Cincinnati

November 13, 2006 at 8:27 pm

Was Zumaya on the ballot? You could probably make a case that he was more deserving than Verlander. I probably wouldn’t be the one to do it, however.

5. PHT in HK

November 13, 2006 at 9:09 pm

Let’s hope he doesn’t crasy and burn like a lot of other heavily used, young power pitchers.

6. Sam

November 13, 2006 at 11:22 pm

I like his delivery. I think he will have a longer carreer than Zoom-Zoom who has already experience some arm (wrist) problems.

-Sam

7. Chris Y.

November 14, 2006 at 9:20 am

Verlander…Outlander…

Diana Gabaldon couldn’t have written the rookie year Justin had — awesome!

8. Andy in WB

November 15, 2006 at 12:18 am

Hats of to Justin, very deserving of ROY.

Ken, Zumaya was on the Rolaids Relief Man Award, which is pretty amazing in the fact that 10 relief pitchers were on the ballot and Zumaya was the only non-closer to be nominated…..

That in itself speaks volumes of the respect he already has earned.

9. Andy in WB

November 15, 2006 at 12:23 am

I stand Corrected, Joel Zumaya WAS NOT in the running for Rolaids Relief Man Award…..can’t remember where I heard he was, but according to the rolaids web site, he wasn’t. BTW Todd Jones tied for 9th. Francisco Rodriguez won in the AL, Hoffman in the NL.
    Sorry

10. Joey the K

November 15, 2006 at 8:14 pm

Who the heck gave Markakis a first place vote?!

11. Jojo SunDevil

November 16, 2006 at 4:56 pm

No brainer. All those news reporters who were like Liriano this and Papelbon that. Bottom line is Verlander is healthy, helped lead the Tigers out of exile, and has been dominating all season.

This was a total no-brainer, he has been rookie of the year since May.

Congrats, JV!