- I had a great time last night hanging out with Brian, Rob, and Brian at Duggan’s last night. We covered a lot of topics including of course the Tigers, other Detroit sports, Detroit sports media, and blogging. It’s something that I’d definitely like to do again later in the season
- Bobby Higginson underwent elbow surgery yesterday and is expected to miss 8-12 weeks. It wouldn’t surprise me if Bobby has played his last game as a Tiger. I could see a situation where in two months the Tigers want to send him on a rehab assignment to Toledo. I can also see Higginson refusing the assignment and end up being cut.
- Tigers Talk has a Q&A with West Michigan Whitecap Brent Dlugach. Dlugach is off to a solid start hitting 280/335/420.
- In other minor league notes, Joel Zumaya pitched 7 2/3 innings of no-hit ball yesterday before being relieved after 123 pitches. He finished with 14 strikeouts, 4 walks, and a hit batsman.
- After a week full of defensive miscues the Tigers have slipped to 5th in the AL in defensive efficiency. The team had been bouncing between 2nd and 3rd for the bulk of the season
- If your a stathead, and if you’re reading this there is a decent chance you might be, Baseball Digest Daily posted an interview with Bill James.
- The Tigers offense got as they were supposed to face Erik Bedard tonight. Bedard has a strained knee and so the Tigers will face Sidney Ponson tonight, and Hayden Penn will make his major league debut on Saturday.
- On a final note, I’d like to wish everybody a safe and happy holiday weekend. I’d also like to salute all those who have died protecting our country and our freedoms.
Also, a heartfelt thank you to any members of the military that may be reading this. I get some hits from various military domains and from middle-eastern timezones, so I imagine there are a few of you. So Thank You and God Bless.