Game 2014.91: Tigers at Royals

Detroit at KC

53-37, 1st place, season high 16 games overseason high 7 1/2 games up.

Baseball-Reference preview here.

Justin Verlander v. Bruce Chen this afternoon, 2:10PM EST start.

1. Austin Jackson, CF
2. Ian Kinsler, 2B
3. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
4. Victor Martinez, DH
5. Torii Hunter, RF
6. Nick Castellanos, 3B
7. Alex Avila, C
8. Eugenio Suarez, SS
9. Rajai Davis, LF

1. jud

July 13, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Life is good!!!! My buddy and I were thinking now of attending all four games with the Angels after the break….wait …no!….life is good …..we better stick with plan A going Thurs and Fri…this is the dreaded West Coast Tigers we are talking about!…..maybe this is the year….naw……I am sticking with “life is good today”!

2. 80HD

July 13, 2014 at 1:47 pm

This will be a very meaningful test for Verlander today. He’ll be pitting his evolving mechanical adjustments against a Royals team that has to be desperate for a win against the Tigers.

I think the Royals would do about anything for a win today:
    -To not go into the break on a losing streak.
    -To lose some of the bad taste from having been schooled by the Tigers three games in a row.
    -To help get back a little of the feeling they must have had after the last series in Detroit that maybe they didn’t have to sit at the kids table any more.
    We’ll learn about whether JV still has it in him to plant his foot on the throat of a team that’s down – no matter how desperate.

God forbid but Cabrera doesn’t look right to me. Many balls to right center that landed in the fifth row last year are doubles now. Maybe recovery from his off season surgery is more prolonged. Somethings not right. Love to be wrong.

3. jud

July 13, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Amazing this winning lately with no Victor and very little Miggy. Miggy actually looks like an average ball player this stretch!

• Coleman

July 13, 2014 at 2:59 pm

He’s got warning track power right now (hopefully this reverse-jinxes him).

• jud

July 13, 2014 at 3:25 pm

We watched him with that “warning track power swing” all of Sept and Oct…Hope this isn’t more of a problem than we are lead to believe!

• Coleman

July 13, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I’m just glad he isn’t doing the home run derby.

• Kevin in Dallas

July 13, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Denny Matthews from the Royals’ broadcast thought the sac fly in the 3rd would have been out the previous three games.

He has 5 RBI on only one hit this series. Those are some productive outs.

• Smoking Loon

July 13, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Cabrera is still on pace for 88 XBH and 133 RBI. And 103 R. With the usual no speed and lesser power. Take that, Mike Trout.

• Coleman

July 13, 2014 at 10:22 pm

He’ll get going once the weather warms up

• Smoking Loon

July 13, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Cabrera or Trout?

4. Kevin in Dallas

July 13, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Love to see JV cruising early for once.

5. jud

July 13, 2014 at 4:00 pm

JD Martinez IS the real deal!!!

6. jud

July 13, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I guess the blowpen isn’t dead…they were just hiding!

7. Kevin in Dallas

July 13, 2014 at 4:36 pm

#BullpenFail

JV gets hit hard again. ERA will go up.

8. Coleman

July 13, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Brooms on fire

• StorminNorman$

July 13, 2014 at 5:09 pm

…a humbling reality-check might provide more long-term value for DET than an easy win today and a sweep of KC

• Vince in MN

July 13, 2014 at 8:24 pm

And it was our No. 5 starter going today ;-).

9. jud

July 13, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Bullpen phone: Riiiinnngg
    Bullpen:. Hello?
    Coach:. Were gonna need u 7th inning guys today?
    Bullpen: but coach u haven’t needed us all week!
    Coach: we need u to get 3 guys out!
    Bullpen: in a row?
    Coach : Yes. We know that’s asking alot. It might take 10 minutes!
    Bullpen:…No problem coach. Were on it!
    Coach: Nevermind!!!!

10. jud

July 13, 2014 at 5:21 pm

With the importance of this week…all in all a great week boys!!!!!! Enjoy the All Star break….

11. Vince in MN

July 13, 2014 at 8:37 pm

3 out of 4 is nice, but I don’t make too much of it. The Tigers scored 16 on Thursday and then the offense pretty much went on vacation for the next three games. The fact that we won two out of the next three may have a little bit to do with the ineptitude of KC right now – they’ve been down while we have been up the last three weeks. It’s a long season, lots of games left. Enjoy the current hefty division lead, sure, but anything can happen. And probably will. That’s baseball.

• Smoking Loon

July 13, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I make more out of the 3 than the 4th. Impressive series. The loss, well, the win didn’t blow up. It just slipped away.

The divisional standings don’t concern me until September. But the way the Tigers play their AL Central rivals matters from Day 1, and the way they handled the Royals this time around reinforces my good feeling about the team. By the way. I remind y’all that 27 of the Tigers’ final 30 games are in the AL Central.

I look ahead to the upcoming series with the Angels – in Anaheim – as a huge one. Might not count in the standings as any more than the usual single W’s and L’s, but as a test of the team – huge. To my mind.

12. Smoking Loon

July 13, 2014 at 9:57 pm

7 no-decisions for Sanchez in 16 starts. If you look ‘em over, you might come to the conclusion that 11-2 would be a more just W-L for him (and might have made him an All-Star). But the Tigers are only 9-7 in Anibal starts. I don’t like that idea.

13. Smoking Loon

July 13, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Hey everybody – and kudos to Stormin’ Norman for the alert:

For the first time since 1936, the Detroit Tigers have 4 players with 50+ RBI at the break. Correct me if I’m wrong. I’ve learned that it’s not impossible to miss something scanning up and down those tables.

• Coleman

July 13, 2014 at 11:45 pm

And JD would be there if he’d started playing about a week sooner.

• Smoking Loon

July 14, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Good point. He’s on fire.

• Coleman

July 13, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Of course it’s helpful to remember when you watch ESPN and hear about all the “first half” records and whatnot that it isn’t really the first half. Some teams have already played 96 games, which is 15 past the halfway point. The ’84 Tigers only had one guy with 50+ (Chet Lemon? Huh?), but their “first half” was only 84 games.

• Smoking Loon

July 14, 2014 at 8:12 pm

What was remarkable to me in doing the research on 4+ 50+ RBI was just that break change thing. For the Tigers (I didn’t look overall) anyway, you’d think in the 15-20 years the All-Star break has been a good deal later than halfway, there would have been more action. But there was less. I’m also surprised I had to go sooooooo far back. In 1936, at a truer halfway point, Goslin, Simmons, Owen, and Gehringer were up to something that wouldn’t be approached for another 78 years. Pretty cool.

Great as they were, I’m doubting that the ’84 Tigers had 4 guys at +50 even after 91. They were long on team, short on eye-popping individual stats.

• Coleman

July 14, 2014 at 10:24 pm

The ’84 guys had 3 guys at +50 after 91: Lemon 52, Parrish 51, Gibson 51.

• Smoking Loon

July 14, 2014 at 10:42 pm

I shouldn’t have gotten you started before I mentioned that the ’14 Tigers had 4 guys at 89 games…

• Coleman

July 14, 2014 at 10:45 pm

The ’68 Tigers only had 4 guys over 30 at the break.

• Smoking Loon

July 14, 2014 at 10:45 pm

… and 3 guys at 87.

• Smoking Loon

July 14, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Are you serious about the ’68 team? Well, I guess the pitching was pretty insane that year. Who needed runs.

• Coleman

July 14, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Yeah, those ’68 guys were slackers: in fact they only finished the season 3 guys over 65 RBI. 65!! They did manage to win 103 games and a WS though.

• Smoking Loon

July 15, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Struck out a bunch and hit .235, but led the AL in R, HR, SLG, and OPS (at – get this – .692!). Not much of a hitting bench except for Gates Brown, either. Also, Al Kaline missed all of June, and Jim Northrup – good season overall – wasn’t exactly J.D. filling in.

14. jud

July 14, 2014 at 10:13 pm

I was surprised at the Home Run Derby how many guys wanted Phil Coke to pitch to them….haha!

15. Coleman

July 14, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Puig pulled an Inge.

16. Kevin in Dallas

July 15, 2014 at 11:33 pm

I’ll admit, I got sucked in. I just love baseball.

Max with the W, hopefully the home field advantage means something…

17. Jim EggersUSMC

July 16, 2014 at 12:41 am

Was watching Intentional Talk on MLB today and they had Miggy, Max, VMart and Ian up there together . It was hilarious, they asked them about Fielder’s nude and Miggy said the had seen that for two years and that was plenty. Happy ball players means more fun in the second half,and now home field too

• Coleman

July 16, 2014 at 11:59 am

In other “happy ball player” news, Justin Verlander, devastated by his sub-par 2014 season, consoled himself by spending All-Star day on a beach in Mexico with Kate Upton.

• Jim EggersUSMC

July 16, 2014 at 2:13 pm

That HAS to be better than seeing Fielder nude, I assume….

18. jud

July 16, 2014 at 1:19 am

The Tigers did us proud at the All Star game boys…maybe that means a game 7 in Motown end of October, brought to you my Miggy and Max!!!