56-44, 1st place, 3.5 games up.
The Tigers again took advantage of the hapless White Sox and cruised to a 6-2 victory. Cruised may not even be descriptive enough. After the fourth batter the game was never in doubt, and other than a really bad outing by Rondon and some bullpen chaos, there was little cause for concern for the Tigers’ faithful. The Phil Coke 1 batter experiment really backfired last night (5 pitches, 2 strikes, 1 hit, no outs), and I have to think that his trade value has plummeted to a handful of ham sandwiches. Oh, and Leyland is not happy with Putkonen/Coke right now.
Justin Verlander pitches this afternoon. That’s all I have to say about that.
A few notes:
- Infante went 1-3 for the White Caps last night. Perez is a capable fill-in and I look forward to seeing him full-time in a few years. But I’m ready for Infante to come back.
- A guy over at ESPN suggests that Castellanos should be the guy to fill the LF hole (you’ll need insider).
- Great article on Fangraphs yesterday about Torii Hunter embracing the #2 spot and a corner OF position.
- I really like the idea of MLB skills competition during the AS game festivities.
- As william pointed out yesterday, we still have 12 games against the White Sox after today.
I’m looking forward to a nice afternoon game. I’ll hold my calls, have lunch at my desk, and chat with Dan and Jim for a few hours.
Lineup to come.