My fantasy Tigers lineup against a righty:
1. Guillen, 2B. He’s second on the team in OBP. Moving him up in the lineup would mean an additional base runner every two games for Cabrera.
2. Maggs, RF. He’s hitting .321 with a .386 OPS over the past month, and though his power is gone, he can go the other way and make contact when he needs to. I realize that Peralta would be a tremendous fit here (or anywhere for that matter) but let’s not ruin a good thing.
3. Brennan Boesch, LF. I really debated putting Martinez here, but I think that Boesch is still spooked by that Tampa series last year where Cabrera was walked in three straight games to load the bases for Boesch, and Boesch struck out or meekly grounded out in each at bat.
4. Cabrera, 1B. Tough call here, but Cabrera gets the nod over Brutus from Baseball Stars.
5. Martinez, DH. I get the impression that he gets much more respect protecting Cabrera than Boesch would (for now, anyway), and he’s got a .902 OPS with RISP.
6. Peralta, SS. Speaking of RISP, dude is mashing to the tune of .337/.400/.526 with RISP. Where would we be this year without Jhonny Peralta? Not in first place, that’s for sure.
7. Avila, C. I don’t think that Avila is going to hit this half like he did in the first half, but he’ll still be an above average Catcher.
8. Betemit, 3B. Best we can do.
9. Jackson, CF. He’s an excellent defensive outfielder and one day he’ll learn how to take a pitch. That’s just not gonna happen this year.
JV versus Peavy tonight. Peavy’s numbers have been sub-par all year, and even worse as of late. His peripherals are not all that bad, posting a 1.26 WHIP and decent 7 K/9 against a 2.08 BB/9 for the year. He’s 0-3 with a 7.16 ERA and 1.71 WHIP over his last three starts.
JV is actually better on the road than at home, going 6-2 with a 1.98 ERA over 10 road starts this year. He’s in the top 3 in the AL in wins, Ks, ERA, BAA, and H/9.
Historically the Tigers do not hit Peavy, and Cabrera is a meager 2-23 against him for his career. I don’t think that lasts past tonight.
Tonight’s JL doesn’t care what I think lineup:
1. Jackson, CF
2. Boesch, LF
3. Ordonez, RF
4. Cabrera, 1B
5. Martinez, DH
6. Peralta, SS
7. Guillen, 2B
8. Betemit, 3B
9. Avila, C