News and Notes: 12.14.2010 (updated)
- The Cliff Lee race is over, and the Phillies win by a mile. Lee reportedly left $50-$60M on the table to sign with Philly, who now boasts Cole Hamels as their #4 starter. Halladay, Lee, Oswalt, Hamels. Wow. Kudos to Lee, it really wasn’t about the money.
- Word is that the White Sox are entertaining offers for Buehrle.
- What about Max St. Pierre?
- I think this line from the Free Press last week pretty much sums up Zumaya’s career. ’For the fourth straight off-season, Joel Zumaya looms as the Tigers’ “X factor.”‘ We all know how brilliant he can be when he his healthy, but I think it would be silly to pencil him in as a reliable guy for the 2011 pen.
A few things that I found this morning, enough to share, not enough for a new post:
- Posnanski wrote a great article in SI yesterday, with Bill James, discussing the best 4-man rotations of all time. He listed the 15 true no. 1 starters” today, JV is on the list.
- Figaro’s contract was sold to a Japanese team. Meh.
- Laird will be backing up Yadier Molina next year in StL for a cool $1M. Not sad to see him go, and this should not be a surprise to anyone. Good speed for a catcher, he likes to drink beer (can’t fault him for that), not a great ML starter.