Game 2009.095: White Sox at Tigers

PREGAME: Wouldn’t a doubleheader sweep make for a nice mood lifter heading into the weekend? Tonight’s game will be Eddie Bonine against Bartolo Colon.

Bonine had kind of a rough streak when he was with the team earlier in the year when he allowed homers in 3 straight appearances out of the bullpen. For Toledo he’s only fanning 4.3 per 9 innings, but he’s only walked 11 in 69 innings.

Colon is making his first start since June 7th.  Since then he disappeared for a little while, literally.

Chi White Sox vs. Detroit – July 24, 2009 | MLB.com: Gameday

POSTGAME: Wow, who knew doubleheaders could be so fun? Everything was awful yesterday, but the Tigers have bought themselves at least 2 more days in first place by taking the first 2 games of the series.

Posted by on July 24, 2009.

Categories: 2009 Season, Game Post

1. I’m hoping for 4, maybe 5 reasonable innings out of Bonine tonight. A sweep would be sweet!

by Tbone on Jul 24, 2009 at 4:44 pm

2. this has the feeling of a 10-8 game

by Mark in Chicago on Jul 24, 2009 at 5:13 pm

3. Hey, my friends and I are going to crash Tin Lizzies for the game tomorrow and Sunday. If you happen to be there, don’t be a stranger…I’ll be bearded, drunk and wearing a Tigs hat — basically I’ll look like my avatar.

by Andre in Chi on Jul 24, 2009 at 5:33 pm

4. I would prefer a 10-8 game over a 2-1 game. I’m tired of getting frustrated with the offense. I want the ’07 Tigers w/ Grilli on the hill.

by Sirk on Jul 24, 2009 at 6:58 pm

5. Don’t worry, we won’t be getting a 2-1 game with Bonine and Colon pitching. Our defense won’t be helping Bonine out either . Ordonez is playing in RF and Thames in LF. Should be a high scoring game.

by Keith (Mr. X) on Jul 24, 2009 at 7:07 pm

6. Well, it’s a lower scoring game than I thought already. Bonine gets out of the 1st inning because of some nice defense by Inge. So much for my theory.

by Keith (Mr. X) on Jul 24, 2009 at 7:09 pm

7. HOLY CRAP what a great catch Wise made.

by Keith (Mr. X) on Jul 24, 2009 at 7:11 pm

8. Goodness, that was 3 standing up. What a play.

by Kevin in Dallas on Jul 24, 2009 at 7:12 pm

9. Thome hits a home run

by Greg on Jul 24, 2009 at 7:16 pm

10. Slowest HR trot ever?

by Kevin in Dallas on Jul 24, 2009 at 7:16 pm

11. Guillen! Welcome back!

by Keith (Mr. X) on Jul 24, 2009 at 7:28 pm

12. That’s good to see. Warms the heart.

by Ken in Vegas on Jul 24, 2009 at 7:30 pm

13. Man….the home plate ump cost us two there. If he gives Eddie that 2-2 fastball on the inside corner three pitches before Dye slams one into the seats we get back in the dugout tied at 1. I guess it is a game of inches…….that pitch could’ve easily been called strike 3.

by Jerry the Tiger Fan on Jul 24, 2009 at 7:47 pm

14. C’mon hitters…..we need to score some runs off this doughboy. Lets rip his South Side butt……………

by Jerry the Tiger Fan on Jul 24, 2009 at 7:48 pm

15. How bad is our farm system, when we have to put Eddie Bonine out there…That guy is horrendous..he has never pitched a reasonably good game in his life…they are hitting almost .300 off him at AAA. Colon is not good, but, he was a former cy young winner and against this lineup..I am sure he will look like one again. Final point.. Dusty Ryan has no clue on how to hit a breaking ball, there is no reason for him to be up here playing once every 2 weeks, if they have any regard for him in the future. All young guys struggle w/ breaking pitches, but, Dusty Ryan is almost funny to watch try and hit a hanging breaking ball. It’s sad to have to watch Bonine..we know he sux, there is nobody else in the minors?

by Chris on Jul 24, 2009 at 7:52 pm

16. I don’t think anyone has a farm system that can bring up a guy to throw a 2nd-half of the doubleheader shutout, which it looks like we may have needed tonight.

by Coleman on Jul 24, 2009 at 7:55 pm

17. Ordonez sucks! What the hell is he doing batting 3rd?

by Sirk on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:04 pm

18. No, I am not looking for a shutout. But, give me a break, every ball is hit like a rocket off this guy and it has always been that way…he fools no one and Dave Dombrowski said today (delusionally) that we had 10 pitchers that could make an impact on the ML level next year, in our farm system. Bonine is ridiculously bad. When you pitch him, you are basically forfeiting the game. I would take anybody..give me the unknown.. over Bonine because w/ Bonine you know 90% of the balls are going to be squared up and crushed, you are just hoping they are at people..it has nothing to do w/ getting ahead or making your pitches…he has no pitches, he just hopes they hit the ball at people.

by Chris on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:04 pm

19. Clete Thomas has no business battiung 3rd either…Jim has no options…I would have Granderson bat 3rd and bat Thomas leadoff and cut Maggs, so, we don’t have to pay him 18 million next year.

by chris on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:11 pm

20. Yep… Still the same frustrating offense. Notice how Cabrera doubles it is with nobody on base & two out. This is how a mostly ineffective hitter can make his numbers look good… Cabrera is fool’s gold.

by Sirk on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:13 pm

21. Granderson isn’t having a particularly good year… not awful, but I don’t see him hitting 3rd.

by Sirk on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:17 pm

22. Sirk,

How can you say that. Cabrera is the only hitter on the team right now. I mean seriously! The team cant hit for crap and Cabrera is doing the best he can even if it is to try and start a two out rally. He isnt ineffective. At the worst he is inconsistent.

by Steve in Det on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:21 pm

23. LOL… they threw a fastball to Ryan..how stupid are the white sox?

by chris on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:23 pm

24. Wow what a great throw, thanks for the help Castro.

I’m not sure why they held Inge at 2nd.

by Coleman on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:23 pm

25. Someone didn’t get the memo…

You can tell how much confidence Leyland had in Dusty, by not bunting the runners to 2nd and 3rd with no out…

by Coleman on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:24 pm

26. To score runs we need guys to knock in the runs and guys to get on base to knock in. Cabrera hasn’t been knocking in the runs, but he’s been one of the few getting on base.

by Coleman on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:27 pm

27. That is true. If Ordonez could have got on base instead of his typical 1-pitch easy-out, then yes Cabrera’s double does a lot more.

by Sirk on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:27 pm

28. No way Polanco is gonna strike out with the runner on 3rd no out at least

by Coleman on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:28 pm

29. I must concede… Eddie Bonine pitched a real good game tonight…His breaking ball seemed to be really strong…since I complained about him and Ryan tonight and good things happened. I will now say that Branson Inge hasn’t hit the ball since last month……….

by Chris on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:37 pm

30. The much-maligned Eddie-Bo has himself a quality start.

by Coleman on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:39 pm

31. You really can’t ask much more from Bonine, he pitched well and kept the Tigers in the game. And he was a little unlucky not getting the call on that close pitch to Dye.

by Tbone on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:42 pm

32. Ordonez having such a dramatic drop-off in production has really killed the offense.

by Sirk on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:43 pm

33. @Chris
    Really?
    The dude’s been injured! No wonder he’s not hitting!
    Both his knees are torn up!
    He should be on the DL, not in the Lineup!
    Yet he’s there because he CHOOSES to be there. For people like me and you, the FANS.
    He cares more about the FANS than he cares about himself!
    Give the guy a break!

by Skip on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:44 pm

34. Well, That at-bat is why Miguel Cabrera is so frustrating..He has all the talent in the world and I am glad he is a Tiger for the next number of years, but, 3-3 ballgame…6th inning and he swings at the first pitch way out of the strike zone..if he improved his pitch selection..then it would truly be scary, what he could accomplish.

Bobby Seay scares me a bit, he seems to be a bit run down and I fear he is in a funk. I hope I am wrong

by Chris on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:46 pm

35. This just in from MLBTradeRumors and MLBlogs.com:
    Willingham and Dunn are drawing interest from the Tigers
    Apparently, the Nats are scouting Double A Eerie

by Skip on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:50 pm

36. Dude, I was joking…I was complaining about him because I complained about Bonine and Ryan and good things happened..it was just a superstitious thing. Give me a break. I thought I made that clear in my post. Whatever, don’t get tears on your Inge poster. I could care less if Inge ever hits, his defense makes up for it

by Chris on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:51 pm

37. way to hold ground and work out of a jam Bobby!

by Sirk on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:55 pm

38. Different name, same old Chris.

by Andre in Chi on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm

39. Brandon Lyon is our best reliever.

by Sirk on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:08 pm

40. Well yea I saw that.

Either or would be an improvement. Get Dunn you have yourself a LHB with Power and plays DH. Keep Guillen in the lineup as your LF. Get Willingham you have your LF solid D, and good solid bat. Keep Guillen in as your full time DH.

Scouting AA hmmmm. Figaro, any other possibilities in Erie for Washington?

by Steve in Det on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:12 pm

41. Couldn’t draw it up any better, Guillen up with the sacks jacked in the bottom of the eighth. Oh the drama.

Errr…take that back, we get Rayburn. Oy.

by Mike in CT on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:16 pm

42. Except Ozzie and Uncle Smokey are ruining your script…
    It’s Rescue Raburn time (actually, believe it or not, statistically Everett would be the best bet to get a run in here)

by Coleman on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:19 pm

43. yeah…my bad.

by Mike in CT on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:20 pm

44. And we add to our sad number of strikeouts with a runner on 3rd less than 2 out..it’s been killing us.

by Coleman on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:24 pm

45. Atta boy Clete!

by Mike in CT on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:25 pm

46. Walkin’ Clete plates the go-ahead!

by Coleman on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:27 pm

47. Ha ha!
    Thornton pulled a Zumaya!

by Skip on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:28 pm

48. Rodney time…hold your breath.

Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.

by Mike in CT on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:29 pm

49. Just for a moment forget your excitement and stop and pretend you’re a White Sox fan…that was pretty awful wasn’t it? See, wasn’t that fun!

by Coleman on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:31 pm

50. Zumaya would have given up a 5-run homer on a 101 mph fastball

by Sirk on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:32 pm

51. Alright Chris
    Sorry ’bout that
    Anyway… Inge just popped out…
    I’ll have to give this one to you. His bat has been sputtering.

by Skip on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:32 pm

52. That’s how you win games folks.

by Keith (Mr. X) on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:37 pm

53. Doubleheader sweep!

by Skip on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:38 pm

54. The White Sox are 2+ games down now. We can breath again.

by Keith (Mr. X) on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:38 pm

55. Wow. That was, like, over just a little too fast. Now what am I going to do with my cigarettes?

by T Smith on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:38 pm

56. The AAA starter did the job, the bullpen was awesome (!), and Guillen actually did show up and provide left-handed power.

And we are 2 games are up on the White Sox.

Life is good.

by Coleman on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:39 pm

57. I only had to hold my breath for a minuet & a half… good slam-the-door-shut 9th inning

Tigers win DH!… against the hated Sox!… all is well again in TigerTown

by Sirk on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:39 pm

58. Great to see some big hits from Mags and Guillen.

by Pat in Carolina on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:40 pm

59. Hey…I’m down for anything that takes the bloom of Buerhle-boy.

You can put this one on the board!

by Mike in CT on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:40 pm

60. Life could always be better of course. The telecast could have continued with some post-game commentary from Ozzie….

by Coleman on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:40 pm

61. Maybe, just maybe, Guillen can be the spark that gets this offense going… I was hating on Ordonez, but it was his double that set-up the winning run… Maybe this is the turning point…. just maybe

by Sirk on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:42 pm

62. Folks, I’m going to say it now… This is the turning point. Tiger bats are going to wake up and start winning those well pitched games.

by Sirk on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:45 pm

63. Thank you baseball gods especially after this past week!!.. Maggs…Guillen and Thomas and Bonine and Ryan and Rodney …..who’d a thunk it ???

by jud on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:46 pm

64. Not to mention the Twins’ Magical Misery tour out west continued yesterday with a rare Joe Nathan blown save, here’s hoping for more of the same again tonight.

by Coleman on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:46 pm

65. Willingham would be a nice pickup, and wouldn’t cost as much as Dunn in the way of prospects.

by Mark in Chicago on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:47 pm

66. Joe Nathan blew a save? That’s incredible, that guy is unhittable.

by Mark in Chicago on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:51 pm

67. What a turnaround after a disastrous week. Guillen and Ordonez almost made me think it was 2006 again. A gutsy win in the nightcap!

by Tbone on Jul 24, 2009 at 10:03 pm

68. Yep, a walk, a HBP, a fly out, a single up the middle, and a “single” that skidded under Nathan’s leg, rolled to 2nd, and richoceted off the bag.

by Coleman on Jul 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm

69. I was busy this evening and when I get home I find I missed a more exciting game than the first game – didn’t catch one pitch. It looks like the entire lineup chipped in one way or another. Bonine with 83 pitches in 6 innngs – efficient. Even a 1-2-3 ninth with 2 Ks by Rodney (OMG!!!). Tomorrow’s pitching matchup favors us too. The offense has to keep on keepin’ on.

by Vince in MN on Jul 24, 2009 at 10:29 pm

70. I seem to recall Todd Jones having a few outings like that. Rare for Nathan though because he Ks a lot of hitters.

by Vince in MN on Jul 24, 2009 at 10:35 pm

71. Not sure what the plan is tomorrow but that’s a possibility. Sunday can’t happen since I’m picking up the old lady at the airport.

by Mark in Chicago on Jul 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm

72. I watched both games and can’t really say which one I enjoyed more. Pretty sweet day for tiger fans!

by Kathy on Jul 24, 2009 at 11:15 pm

73. All is well in Tiger town again….this is nice!

by Robo-Tiger on Jul 24, 2009 at 11:19 pm

74. The White Sox are coming to town,
    Tiger fans are wearing a frown,
    Things get a little better,
    We sweep the double header,
    now that frown is upside down.

by Keith (Mr. X) on Jul 25, 2009 at 12:06 am

75. Phew! That was pretty sweet. E-Jax and Porcello going Sat/Sun? I’m feeling a sweep with extreme prejudice. You can put it on the booooaaaaard….YES!

by Chris in Dallas on Jul 25, 2009 at 12:07 am

76. That’s what sets Tiger fans apart; when the boys do something praiseworthy, we not only give praise, but poetry. Almost renews my suspicions that Mr. X is Sean the AWOL Smoking Loon.

by Coleman on Jul 25, 2009 at 12:55 am

77. As far as Billfer’s postgame comments go, apparently Guillen may be the lefty bat–and only that. Apparently he is effectively no longer a switch hitter; when he bats right he can’t hit and it hurts. It’s obviously no secret considering Ozzie’s moves.

I didn’t like Raburn as PH because he tends to strike out in those situations. I may be the only living human who would have liked Everett or Laird there (there are guys who can’t hit but can get sac flies. Check the stats. If we had needed a hit, sure, Raburn’s way better).

I realize you generally don’t want to use your backup catcher though, but we do have Inge for real emergencies.

by Coleman on Jul 25, 2009 at 1:14 am

78. But where would Willingham fit into the lineup? He’s not a third place hitter. Plus, the Nats will ask for too much.

by Ryan on Jul 25, 2009 at 1:17 am

79. Oh almost forgot. Joe Maurer hit 2 HR– and the Twins lost…the Magical Misery Tour continues. A real TGIF kinda day all-around.

by Coleman on Jul 25, 2009 at 1:23 am

80. Tigers/Rangers Mon night?

by Kevin in Dallas on Jul 25, 2009 at 3:00 am

81. So I was at a county fair yesterday with my 4 year old son. We were both sporting our Tigers hats and a “gentleman” made a comment to my son about how his team was going to get beat by his White Sox & how great the White Sox were because Buehrle threw a perfect game the night before.

I said to him that it was great for Beuhrle that he threw a perfect game the night before, but even better for us Tigers fans was that he wouldn’t be pitching today. I reminded him that the Tigers had Verlander on the mound & I was pretty confident of getting the win that afternoon.

He shut up after that.

Only a White Sox fan would talk smack to a 4 year old.

by Andrew on Jul 25, 2009 at 9:26 am