Game 2009.065: Tigers at Cardinals

PREGAME: I figure we’re one bad game away before I have to post this backwards again. Hopefully the team will fare a little better. Did you know that through 64 games the 2008 team outscored the 2009 team 09 version has only outscored the 08 version by 7 runs?

Edwin Jackson is the man tonight and hopefully he can work deep into the game with Verlander leaving early yesterday and Porcello on the mound tomorrow.

Todd Wellemeyer hasn’t had a quality start since May 22nd. That doesn’t mean a lot given the Tigers recent struggles against struggling pitchers. Who knows, maybe tonight’s new look lineup will be the one to get it done:

1. Granderson
  2. Polanco
  3. Cabrera
  4. Thames
  5. Ordonez
  6. Inge
  7. Laird
  8. Everett
  9. Jackson

Detroit vs. St. Louis – June 17, 2009 | MLB.com: Gameday

POSTGAME: Another day, another loss. I guess the difference is this wasn’t an awful game. Edwin Jackson was fine, 3 runs in 6 innings wiht 7 K’s, just not great. He hurt his cause with an error on a pickoff throw and Magglio Ordonez butchered what might have been caught and at the least should have been a double.

Curtis Granderson and Miguel Cabrera hit, but again that was it. The Tigers had some good at-bats early on, forcing Wellemeyer to throw a boat  load of pitches in the 1st and in the 3rd, but the big inning continues to elude them instead settling for solo homers and other 1 run innings.

And then there was Joel Zumaya who had another tough outing. He didn’t get hammered and he mixed in a number of curves. But he also couldn’t find the strike zone and he walked in the Tigers 13th run of the season. Nine of those have come in the month of June (the Tigers had 20 in 2008).

Posted by on June 17, 2009.

Categories: 2009 Season, Game Post

1. I like this lineup configuration.

by Greg on Jun 17, 2009 at 7:01 pm

2. Look guys, a lineup that makes sense.

by Ryan P. on Jun 17, 2009 at 7:04 pm

3. First 64 games

2009 – 306RS /289RA

2008 – 299RS/ 329 RA

So actually 2009 outscored 2008 so far.

I’m calling a W tonight.

by David on Jun 17, 2009 at 7:11 pm

4. we are not the only team with pitching problems. the blue jays 5 starters and one of their best relievers are all on the DL.

by charlie on Jun 17, 2009 at 7:25 pm

5. And they still have about the same record as us in a much tougher division.

by Matt on Jun 17, 2009 at 7:30 pm

6. I know we have some good, some mediocre and some not so good players on the roster. Obviously there is something missing. In hockey it would be that gritty been a captain on an other team guy. A leader with skills and a can do attitude, maybe won a championship type.
    I kind of feel we need a veteran older guy that has this. I don’t have anyone in mind but I was just thinking what can be done here to get the guys going. What brings this altogether?. I don’t feel we are way off but off enough to get a decent lead in our division and beat or hang with some of the better teams outside of our division. Im not a fire Jim Leyland guy either but what do we need to do? Is it coaching?, a leader that is not here? What will get our guys to get it going and mash it out the rest of the season. Coming off a day off and seeing that game last night…. Laying an Egg (or worse) and looking pathetic doing it really got me thinking WHAT ITS IT?.

Ok I feel better now, lets go get 8 runs for EJ and start it up.

by Steve on Jun 17, 2009 at 7:57 pm

7. wellemeyer up to 27 pitches already…i would like to see more of this patience at the plate

by charlie on Jun 17, 2009 at 8:28 pm

8. Why is Maggs still in the lineup? Don’t we have anyone who could possibly do better? come on.

by Neal on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:04 pm

9. Call me crazy, I’d rather see Inge up here than Ordonez

by Coleman on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:04 pm

10. “Ordonez” – from the Spanish for “Weak groundball to second”.

by Dave111 on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:05 pm

11. This lineup is a good first step. Does Leyland read DTW?…

by Kevin in Dallas on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:07 pm

12. Now that’s funny

by Steve on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:11 pm

13. Ordonez is doing ok at getting on base and horribly at hitting in runs. He should be batting 2nd or 7th. Inge is being wasted, too far down in the order.

by Coleman on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:14 pm

14. Now that would have been useful last inning

by Coleman on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:23 pm

15. Dave What is Everett English for?

by Steve on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:26 pm

16. I think Everett is English for “little-headed Polanco”

by Coleman on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:36 pm

17. Who would win between the Cardinals and a giant Granderson?

The good news is that this means Inge hits one soon…

by Coleman on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:39 pm

18. “Everet” – from the English for “Howdy Doody is my big brother”

by Dave111 on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:43 pm

19. What’s the Spanish for misplayed fly ball?

by Coleman on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:50 pm

20. Maggs got his power back!

by ouchudied on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:55 pm

21. That would be “canseco.”

by Dave111 on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:55 pm

22. Someone remind me the last Tiger to hit 3 HR in same game. Could be Grandy’s night.

by Jeff on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:56 pm

23. This weak ground ball can be a powerful weapon when used correctly

by Coleman on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:57 pm

24. How about the last leadoff hitter with 3 HR in a game? Rickey Henderson?

by Coleman on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:03 pm

25. Picked

by Steve on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:09 pm

26. Now that’s some brilliant strategery…not just the SB attempt, I mean the let-your-pitcher-whiff-then-replace-him-once-he-takes-the-mound-strategery…

by Coleman on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:15 pm

27. I do NOT understand taking Ejax out at this point.

Sure, you want to put a bat in but the heart of the order is coming up next inning and our bullpen? Not so good….

by Matt on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:18 pm

28. I agree, sine Ed-Jack was going strong…yet I admit I would have thought Leyland a genius if Raburn hit it 5 feet further

by Coleman on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm

29. Agreed, but it’s not going to matter because Zumaya will give up two runs.

by Matt on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:25 pm

30. maybe try robertson again…just in case everyone is wrong and he really, really hasn’t lost it….whatever “it” may be

by charlie on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:25 pm

31. Geez that was totally a swing. Come on blue!

by Joey in Portland OR on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:39 pm

32. lolwhyisthisteamsobad

by Ryan P. on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:40 pm

33. Probably a swing, but the point is Zumaya can’t throw a strike. Lame.

by ouchudied on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:43 pm

34. Becauseourbattersrepeatedlyfouloutandourmanagermakesstupiddecisons.

by Matt on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:52 pm

35. And again an Inge hit wasted with bases empty…and what’s with Pujols clowning around with Inge on 1st…is he the new Sean Casey or something?

by Coleman on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:52 pm

36. This whole three run business is starting to piss me off.

by ouchudied on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:52 pm

37. oh boy. the wheels have fallen off the wagon

by jason on Jun 17, 2009 at 11:12 pm

38. What the crap Zumaya? All of the walks all of a sudden by this staff, it looks like 2008! I thought we fired Hernandez! And the offense? They are finally getting a few more knocks, but not with men on. And I have yet to see any movement on the roster. Galarraga should not be in this rotation, and Willis needs to be gone….After Illitch’s little message, I thought there would be movement….I guess not…

by Brenden on Jun 17, 2009 at 11:17 pm

39. “Curtis Granderson and Miguel Cabrera hit, but again that was it.”

No, that wasn’t it.

Inge had two hits; they didn’t mean anything because Leyland had him batting 6th, which left him with no RBI opportunities.

by Coleman on Jun 17, 2009 at 11:37 pm

40. I know what you mean. Honestly, the Tigers are missing Magglio/Polanco/Guillen. They’re all missing in action or on the shelf. But I’m inclined to think the solution offensively is in the clubhouse, not elsewhere. (Except they may need a starting pitcher).

by scotsw on Jun 18, 2009 at 9:39 am

41. I think that veteran guy that the other players listened to, by many accounts, used to be Guillen…in which case more than his bat is on the DL…

by Coleman on Jun 18, 2009 at 11:03 am

42. Again why Polanco and Ordonez are batting ahead of him in the lineup is ludicrous.

LOok OoOo

We all know their track record, but now it doesn’t mean a darn if it isn’t getting the job done. You want to bunch your good…scratch that….productive hitters together.

One possible way is to clump all the .800 OPS(and above) hitters together

Right now assuming we have the DH here is ONE way it could be done (and also assuming Don Kelly is semi hot)

CF Granderson
    LF Kelly
    1st Cabrera
    3rd Inge
    DH Thames
    SS Santiago
    RF Ordonez
    2nd Polanco
    C Laird

On a side note check out Ryan Raburn’s situational splits

*bottom of the page

assuming there are runners on base, he KILLS the ball, compared to when they aren’t . wow

Mid 600sOPS to nearly 900

Ordonez as you can guess is somewhat opposite of that, but still bad in each category. Cabrera is hitting terrible in June.

by David on Jun 18, 2009 at 12:24 pm

43. We currently have a 4-game losing streak. If we lose tonight, we’ll get swept by the Cards then it will make that a 5-game losing streak.

BTW- visit my baseball blog at http://evansbaseballblog.blogspot.com/

by slimmduude on Jun 18, 2009 at 2:12 pm

44. Thanks for the insight. Sounds like you know your stuff. :D

by David on Jun 18, 2009 at 3:58 pm

45. Definitely some deep analysis there.

by Ryan P. on Jun 18, 2009 at 5:01 pm

46. You know it! :)

I plan on visiting Evan’s baseball blog @ blogspot any and every time I need to learn how to count.

ah ah ah

———–

by David on Jun 18, 2009 at 7:18 pm

47. delete the excess periods in the following link ;)

by David on Jun 18, 2009 at 7:19 pm