Game 128: Tigers at Royals

by billfer on August 22, 2008 · 15 comments

in 2008 Season,Game Post

PREGAME: The Tigers return to Kansas City for a 3 game set. Tonight it will be Justin Verlander trying to reclaim his ace stuff. In his last start he held the Orioles to 2 unearned runs on 4 hits in 6 innings. He hasn’t had back to back quality starts in a month though.

Brian Bannister owns the Tigers, limiting them to 3 runs over his last 3 starts. But he hasn’t had that same success against the rest of the league. His last time out he allowed 10 runs on 10 hits and 3 walks with 3 homers – in one inning.

DET @ KCR, Friday, August 22, 2008 Game Preview – Baseball-Reference.com

Game Time 8:10

POSTGAME
: It’s a win. Justin Verlander was pretty good. He had a rocky first inning, not being able to command any of his pitches. Be he later settled down. The curve ball was really working.

The Tigers didn’t have a ton of hits, but what they did have were hit a long ways. Cabrera picked up another 2 homer game, the second being a monster off a car on top of the waterfalls.

Fernando Rodney wasn’t good, but he got out of it. Usually the fastball command dictates the outing for Rodney, but he had more trouble with the change up. A couple doubles, a walk, and a single with 2 impressive strike outs in between put the tying run on 3rd with 2 outs. A wild pitch with a fortunate bounce, and Rodney remembering to cover homer, led to Dave DeJesus being tagged out easy to end the game.

{ 15 comments }

Chris in Dallas August 22, 2008 at 4:53 pm

I wonder if Posnanski will bust out a Banny Log for this one.

Tony August 22, 2008 at 5:47 pm

MLive is reporting that Nate got demoted to the bullpen, no word as to who takes his place. I don’t know if this is good news for the rotation or bad news for the pen.

Chris in Dallas August 22, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Probably Willis. He’s been ‘mirroring’ Nate’s starts at Toledo.

Rick G August 22, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Everybody must be watching the new Cheetah Girls movie tonight. See you all over at http://www.cheetahgirlsweblog.com!

yak August 22, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Miggy hasn’t given up…yet

Slashpyne August 22, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Who do you want to see come up in the September call-ups?

Jim in Mac August 22, 2008 at 10:05 pm

where are all the regulars at? watching mens diving? I typically do not comment but since I saw around 800 entries for a yankees blog recently I thought I would add some numbers.

Kathy August 22, 2008 at 11:58 pm

Definitely Clevlen, Clete , Ramirez, and I’d even like to see Timo again but that probably won’t happen. I can’t think of all there names, but Hessman and some pitchers. Really anxious to see Clete, ‘ol bug eyes, again.

judpma August 23, 2008 at 3:27 am

well at least Rodney was lights out in the 9th

Chief Monday August 23, 2008 at 5:44 am

Cabrera is the man. 27 HR’s and 99 RBI’s now.

Andrew August 23, 2008 at 10:24 am

Billfer, quick trivia question for you –

Is this the lowest number of posts in a game thread this season? If not, what is?

Slashpyne August 23, 2008 at 11:11 am

Kathy, I agree with your choices, I think Timo should get a call-up to recognize his willingness to stick it out at triple A. I’d like to see Lambert and Bonine, just to see if there is anything there for next year and beyond.
Wow, 11 posts-thats the lowest I ever seen.

billfer August 23, 2008 at 11:50 am

Yeah, this may be the lowest. Fridays are generally lower – barring a dramatic blown game against the White Sox. Plus with apathy sitting in amongst the fan base, and the Olympics, it made for a bad combination for volume.

I see Lambert getting called up. Bonine has an injured shoulder so I’m not expecting him back. For Timo to be called up he’d have to be added to the 40 man roster. I see no value in that since they’ll need the spots to protect players like Dusty Ryan, Chris Lambert, Wilkin Ramirez, James Skelton…

I’d expect Ryan, Lambert, and Clete to be called up for sure. Beyond that i don’t know.

cib August 23, 2008 at 1:28 pm

not sure where to post this but cool column on rod allen – -

Amanda August 23, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Very nice article cib..thanks for sharing

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site