Todd Jones to the DL?

Hey, what do you know? Another injured Tiger. This time it looks like Todd Jones, who has been bothered by a sore shoulder for 6 weeks, may hit the disabled list. I’d guess that the move would be calling someone up from the minors.

Posted by on July 31, 2008.

Tags:

Categories: 2008 Season, Injuries

1. Wouldn’t the move be bringing in Farnsworth either today or tomorrow?

by Andrew on Jul 31, 2008 at 7:20 am

2. Yeah…pretty sure with Farnsworth and Sardinha coming in and Pudge and Jones going out they would be set.

by Ryan P on Jul 31, 2008 at 8:06 am

3. Why has Jones been bothered by a sore shoulder for SIX WEEKS, and yet he was continuously run out there, putting the team at risk?

by Mark in Chicago on Jul 31, 2008 at 10:07 am

4. It would have been nice to get Hawkins. Gee, if only Dave Dombrowski had been talking to Brian Cashman in the last day or so to try to work out a deal and get Hawkins as a throw-in.

by Jeff on Jul 31, 2008 at 10:31 am

5. Mark

Why has _____ been bothered by a _____ for ___ WEEKS, and yet he was continuously run out there, putting the team at risk?

Know what I’m saying?

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jul 31, 2008 at 10:33 am

6. Funny how everyone complains about TJ yet Mr. Fernando Rodney worries me just as much. Maybe its because I’m biased (I enjoy Todd), but seeing “So this is Relief” on the cover a newspaper didn’t give me that same feeling.

by Christie on Jul 31, 2008 at 10:46 am

7. Since Farnsworth is being mentioned here, I suppose it’s safe to say that I’ve thought about the Pudge-Farnsworth trade, and I think I get it. The part I question is sending Rodriguez to a team the Tigers may end up in direct competiton with for a playoff spot, but maybe this only indicates an acknowledgement on DD’s part that it’s win the division or bust; if the Tigers divisional chances are slim, then their WC chances are close to none.

In my estimation, the driving force behind the trade was that Pudge wasn’t wanted back in 2009. If you think about that a little more, it makes sense that there was no attempt to squeeze more out of Cashman. The Tigers got fair market value for Pudge, filled a need, saved a chunk of change, and started setting the table for 2009 without giving up on 2008.

Again, I’m not exactly happy to see Pudge gone, but I think I get the deal and don’t think the Tigers got hosed.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jul 31, 2008 at 10:48 am

8. Everyone was complaining about Rodney though. That’s why we got Farnsworth.

by Chief Monday on Jul 31, 2008 at 10:57 am

9. any step up over what the Tigers have in the pen has to be considered a good thing..so Farnsworth is one of those step ups…i just hope Brandon Inge at .225 isn’t the long term answer at catcher…along with.200 Shardina but for now the immediate problem has been addressed….. the pen

by judpma on Jul 31, 2008 at 11:33 am

10. Inge has a higher OPS than Pudge. You’re not losing anything at the plate by trading Pudge, except for when you have to play Sardinha.

by Ryan P on Jul 31, 2008 at 11:37 am

11. I still think part of the motivation for the deal was the fact that Farnsworth is less likely to accept arbitration (he already wanted out of Detroit once), which would net the Tigers a draft pick, perhaps two if he pitches well enough. DD & Co. may have feared that Pudge would have accepted arbitration thereby sticking the Tigers with a catcher they don’t want and no additional draft picks.

If Farnsy refuses arb and they get a pick, they can use his money to sign additional bullpen help. Meanwhile, they get him for 2 months.

by Mark in Chicago on Jul 31, 2008 at 11:42 am

12. Jones is actually on the DL from strained vocal cords from yelling at Sloppcrotch last night.

by Coleman on Jul 31, 2008 at 1:45 pm

13. I wonder if this could be a face saving move for the team and Jones. With the addition of Farnsworth, there’s even less reason to keep Jones on the roster. But releasing him would seem pretty cold-hearted. So they keep on the DL through August. In September, when rosters are expanded, they can activate him without having to sacrifice another member of the pen. The only touchy situation would be if we make the playoffs and he gets left off the post-season roster. Awkward! (though chances of this are looking slimmer by the day).

Sore shoulder for the last 6 weeks and this is the first we hear about it? I don’t buy it.

by Ryan in Brooklyn on Jul 31, 2008 at 5:04 pm

14. Here’s a question, and I’d genuinely like an answer…

Who trades away a starting catcher for a pitcher who doesn’t arrive for two days? Eh?

Check this out… If the Farnsworth/Rodriguez deal is announced AFTER the game on Wednesday, Pudge and Farnsworth both get all day Thursday to travel. So Pudge catches Wednesday, Inge on Thursday, and Sardinha doesn’t have to start this week against the weak division rival.

But as it went down, the Tigers lost the services of Rodriguez two games before Farnsworth arrives to bolster the pen.

By the way, Sardinha better work on his bunting skills, because he needs every tool he can find at the plate. There’s no excuse for someone in his position not to do everything in his power to be ready.

by scotsw on Aug 1, 2008 at 9:21 am

15. I would like to thank the pitchers that were on the team in 1992, I hope the new team members remember who buys the tickets and cards. As I have 8 children, 6 boys and 2 girls, in 1992 we lived in Alaska and came to California for a vacation. We bought tickets to the Oakland Tigers game, my youngest son then 6 yrs. old had all the players cards for both teams, hoping to get one signed. During batting practice my youngest went down 5 rows and asked a pitcher if he could sign his card, the player said yes for $5.00. My son came back to his seat and told everyone that that pitcher was a millionaire, and my son cleared snow on walkways for $4.00 hour in Alaska. Since then all my children do not watch baseball and stopped collecting cards. Now my grand kids don’t know anything about the American sport. That pitcher saved me a lot of money since we all moved to the lower forty-eight. I hope that the players now conceder the young kids and their idals and their cards.
    Thanks for your time
    Robert G. Dennis
    Tooele, Utah

by Robert Dennis on Aug 4, 2008 at 6:50 pm

16. The heck?

by Ryan P on Aug 4, 2008 at 6:58 pm

17. Ryan P: “The heck?”

Indeed. How often do you begin a post only to end it truly surprised?

Well, as they say the long-held grudge warms one through the cold of winter.

And yet…it’s been that long, why speak now? Why here? Is this a portent of some nature?

(I do feel bad for the children though…to grow up in Alaska, with no baseball!). The 6 yr old would be 22 now, and preparing himself for the MBA program he has entered, even though he has already landed the 6-figure job at Goldman Sachs…

by Coleman on Aug 4, 2008 at 7:11 pm

18. I’m not certain from reading the post if they stayed and “enjoyed” the game, or left after the autograph mongering. But I think that Detroit series in Oakland would have included this historic game, and to think of them trudging back to the parking lot as the first inning proceeds…

“Oakland Athletics outfielder and perennial base thief Rickey Henderson snatched the 1,000th base of his career in the first inning of the A’s 7-6 win over the Detroit Tigers”

by Coleman on Aug 4, 2008 at 7:20 pm