PREGAME: The Tigers will try to embark on a new winning streak with Kenny Rogers taking the mound. Rogers has only allowed 3 earned runs over his last 4 starts. He’s still not striking many out, he only has 34 on the season, but he’s cutting down on the walks which were hurting him early in the season and running up his pitch count.
For the Giants it will be lefty Jonathan Sanchez. Sanchez is another guy fanning a batter an inning, and limiting homers to the tune of 6 in 80.1 innings this year with no one taking him yard since May 16th. In his last start he snapped a string of 5 consecutive quality starts when he was touched for 7 runs in 7 innings.
Your lineup for tonight:
- Renteria, SS
- Polanco, 2B
- Guillen, 3B
- Ordonez, RF
- Cabrera, 1B
- Thames, LF
- Rodriguez, C
- Granderson, CF
- Rogers, P
Notice that Pudge is starting for the second game in a row. According to Beck it isn’t the end of the alternating catcher plan, but Leyland thinks Inge is still bothered by the oblique.
Game Time 10:15
POSTGAME: Very nice bounce back win for the boys and combined with a Cleveland loss the Tigers are now tied for 3rd place. Sanchez was some kind of filthy as he fanned 6 in his first time through the lineup. But the Tigers made some adjustments and got to him a little after being no hit for 5 innings.
- Kenny Rogers brought it again tonight going 7 strong yet again and keeping the team inthe game when there was no margin for error.
- Marcus Thames is some kind of wonderful. He got down to his last AB with a full count before crushing a ball to centerfield for a 5 game, 8 hit, homer streak.
- Edgar Renteria gets on base 3 times including his 2000th hit.
- Ryan Raburn comes through with the big pinch hit homer and Jeff Larish gets a pinch hit RBI as well.
- More excellent defense today with diving plays from Brent Clevlen and Marcus Thames and some nice picking by Guillen and Renteria as well.