links for 2007-08-07

by billfer on August 7, 2007 · 8 comments

in Links

{ 8 comments }

Matt in Toledo August 7, 2007 at 2:57 pm

Wow, that was the lead-in to the article, and it was based on flawed information. I wonder how he got that in his head.

Steve G. August 7, 2007 at 4:02 pm

Maybe he meant that he should be…and Kyle Sleeth shouldn’t…?

Mike R August 7, 2007 at 4:10 pm

Well he should be on the 40 man roster, but god forbid we drop Kyle Sleeth from it. I mean, we always have a use for a mid-20′s pitcher who’s being mediocre in A-ball.

Matt in Toledo August 7, 2007 at 5:36 pm

Well, there’s no reason or benefit to putting somebody on the 40 man roster before you have to, and in fact you shouldn’t until you’re forced or until they’re ready to be called up. After all, once you’re on the 40 man, your arbitration clock starts ticking.

Mike R August 7, 2007 at 7:07 pm

Oh, I know Matt. It was more just sheer confusion as to why Sleeth is still on there when we were having to clear room on it earlier this year for guys returning from injuries and whatnot.

Matt in Toledo August 7, 2007 at 7:20 pm

My comment about the arbitration clock has bugged me ever since I hit “Submit”, because I’m not sure that’s accurate. I think you may just burn one of your options when you’re put on the 40 man, not necessarily start the arbitration clock.

As for Sleeth, I feel bad for the guy. It must be tough when the best day of your professional career is draft day. Not bad enough to hope he stays on the roster when the roster decisions must be made, but still bad.

Mike R August 8, 2007 at 1:39 am

Definitely. But, Sleeth’s $3.335 Million dollar signing bonus is some compensation to him.

I think the arbitration clock starts when you are put on the active 25 man roster, but I’m just guessing. I haven’t looked it up.

Chris August 8, 2007 at 7:36 am

The Jones/Sheffield question in the talkabout got me curious as to the last time Jones had a 1-2-3 inning, all k’s. The answer? June 11th 2005, for Florida in interleague play against Texas. The ‘victims’ were Teixeira, Blalock and Soriano and it was a one-run lead in the 9th. His only 3 k inning in his current Tiger tenure was July 29th last year against Minnesota, however he also gave up a run on 3 hits that day. As a Tiger, his last 1-2-3 3 k inning was July 1st, 2001 against the Twins (Chad Allen, Torii Hunter and Quinton McCracken)

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site