Game 109: White Sox at Tigers

by billfer on August 4, 2007 · 57 comments

in 2007 Season,Game Post

PREGAME: Still looking for that magic to return, the Tigers turn to Jeremy Bonderman who is coming off the worst start of his career. He’ll do battle against Javier Vasquez. The two hooked up in the front end of the doubleheader last go round with Vasquez getting the better of Bonderman.

Game Time 7:05

BTW: I know we’re all frustrated by the recent play. This is clearly evident in the comments. I don’t have a lot of commenting rules, and one of them is no swearing. The filters pick up the biggies, but there are a lot of other instances of swearing without swearing, like f’d up for instance. Or dropping an asterisk into a word to keep it from being a pure swear word. Please refrain from this as I will start deleting these comments from now on.

{ 57 comments }

Stephen August 4, 2007 at 5:07 pm

Yankees everyday lineup when they get Giambi back next week. Damon
D Jeter
B Abreu
A Rodriguez
H Matsui
J Posada
R Cano
Giambi/A Phillips
M Cabrera
I used to think Tigers had a huge advantage in starting pitching but Wang/Clemens/Mussina/Pettite/Hughes over the last 50 games makes it, at the very least, a wash. (I wouldn’t trade our future for their future obviously, but we’re just talking the next 8 weekes) And they still have Rivera who even in his late prime is pretty darn good.
We gotz to beat the Indians.

Dirk August 4, 2007 at 7:25 pm

“We gotz to beat the Indians.”

One step after the other: First let us beat those Whities.
Bondo is really going “deep” in the counts again in this first Inning.

Please, Baseball God, let us win it

Greetz from Germany

btw: How is the correct way to quote? I know it from forums like [quote]….[/quote] ?

Dirk August 4, 2007 at 7:26 pm

oh no, just after sending this post, the damage is already done.

I can’t believe it :-(

Vince in MN August 4, 2007 at 7:30 pm

I really want to like Jeremy Bonderman, I really do.

Chris M August 4, 2007 at 7:32 pm

Why are Hessman and Monroe getting playing time over Raburn. Argh.

Kevin in Austin August 4, 2007 at 7:48 pm

Pitching around Hessman to get to Monroe…

O/U on the pen tonight is 3.5. Who’s taking?

Chris in Nashville August 4, 2007 at 7:50 pm

Thatababe Monroe….he’s close to .400 now in the last 5 games..as Monroe goes, so doesn’t go the Tigers I guess.

Vince in MN August 4, 2007 at 7:52 pm

The strategy of walking Hessman to get to Monroe backfired.

T Smith August 4, 2007 at 7:52 pm

I’ve just been chided by my wife. She says I owe both Monroe and Inge an apology.

Vince in MN August 4, 2007 at 7:55 pm

T Smith:

She may be over-reacting.

Kevin in Austin August 4, 2007 at 7:58 pm

Bonderman has lost it. He looks like he’s 19 again.

Stephen August 4, 2007 at 7:59 pm

Wow, two runs from our #6 through #9 lineup that features, well, four #9 hitters. Lads, we shan’t see that again. That was a miracle up there with the Finn Army on skis holding off the Russian Army in the winter of ’40.

Then, of course, the Russians crushed them when the snow melted.

Stephen August 4, 2007 at 8:07 pm

Alan Alda in Crimes and Misdemeanors: Comedy equals tragedy plus time. I’m beginning to watch this season less with anger and more with an eye toward the sublime absurdity of it all.
I’d jumped off the bandwagon, but the bandwagon is up on blocks with all the wheels heisted. And the steering wheel has just come off in Bonderman’s hands.

Vince in MN August 4, 2007 at 8:08 pm

On the positive side, Bombedagain is only at 67 pitches, so he should be able to go at least two more innings, saving the bullpen.

Stephen August 4, 2007 at 8:13 pm

Ah, Bondo–an apt nickname as the Tigermobile rusts through and we can see the cement speeding by.

Matt in ATL August 4, 2007 at 8:13 pm

I say shorten the season to 100 games!!!

Stephen August 4, 2007 at 8:16 pm

I’m pretty sure the Tigers thought they did.

Matt August 4, 2007 at 8:19 pm

Alan Alda in Crimes and Misdemeanors: Comedy equals tragedy plus time

but at the same time, if it bends it’s funny, if it breaks it’s not funny. the tigers broke sometime a few weeks ago.

Stephen August 4, 2007 at 8:22 pm

Oh Matt, that is one of the great lines in movie history y. I can see him saying the line and Woody rolling his eyes at Mia Farrow. Classic.

T Smith August 4, 2007 at 8:32 pm

Couldn’t Monroe just surprise me twice in one game? That’s all I ask.

And Vince in MN:

Yes, she was most definately over-reacting.

Stephen August 4, 2007 at 8:35 pm

T Smith: Monroe will still surprise you. I firmly believe he has a ‘toss the ball to a fan, oops that was only two outs’ play still in his repertoire. He’s just waiting for the right moment.

Michael August 4, 2007 at 8:44 pm

Can we just start a reliever for the 1st inning whenever Bonderman is going to pitch? Seriously…

Ben in Denver August 4, 2007 at 8:53 pm

I like that idea. An opening pitcher gets the first inning, then Bondo comes on in the second. What’s the difference between that and a later reliever? It’s better than playing catch-up from the start. This could revolutionize the game.

ron August 4, 2007 at 8:59 pm

At least Stephan is honest enough to admit he’s off the bandwagon. Could he be looking at the Yankee one to jump on?

Ken from Cincinnati August 4, 2007 at 9:05 pm

Hmm…that is actually a really interesting idea that I had never even thought of. I’m not sure that it will ever catch on, but if it was ever going to happen this is the perfect instance for it. Bonderman is obviously not effective in the first inning. I don’t think you can chalk this up to coincidence.

Michael August 4, 2007 at 9:26 pm

Do I get something for my idea? I should right a book about it and become the next Billy Beane.

Stephen August 4, 2007 at 9:26 pm

Ron: I’ve been a Tigers fans for 25 years, just because i think they may be toast doesn’t mean I’m not still a fan or otherwise i wouldn’t be watching all these games and driving up my blood pressure. I think the Yankees are fascinating in the sense that they were so left for dead and had a insane running of pitching injuries that make ours look tame in comparison. And it’s Torre’s last year and I think he’s a classy guy. I think the culture of that team is intriguing–joyless to a certain degree but also profoundly professional. They are the Evil Empire but compelling story lines abound on that team. Senile owner, retiring manager, disliked A-Rod, the always politic Jeter etc… As a fan of baseball, they’re a compelling team to follow, but don’t mistake that for rooting for them.

Michael August 4, 2007 at 9:26 pm

And by “right” i mean “write”.

Chris August 4, 2007 at 9:31 pm

Yea, They can open the 1st inning of the game pitching Grilli. That way the Tigers offence have another 8 or 9 innings to overcome the deficit…..errr, no. Scratch that idea.

Jeff August 4, 2007 at 9:33 pm

*** An opening pitcher gets the first inning, then Bondo comes on in the second. What’s the difference between that and a later reliever? ***

You’re assuming that the problem is the lit up “1″ in the innings slot on the scoreboard.

It’s more likely that the problem is that it’s the first inning in which Bonderman is pitching.

Stephen August 4, 2007 at 9:34 pm

I love Grilli because he so reliably unreliable. I can set my watch on how inevitably he disappoints.

Chris August 4, 2007 at 9:35 pm

It just seams so unfair. Here we get Burlle And Vasques twice –who clearly are the Chisox best pitchers– while the Yankees get all their other staring pitchers, which are terrible.

Stephen August 4, 2007 at 9:36 pm

Neifi, come home! All is forgiven.

Stephen August 4, 2007 at 9:38 pm

I think it’s unfair that Dombrowski upped his Lunesta dosage before the trading deadline, when he should have been dipping into Neifi’s ADD meds for laser-focus on making a trade.

Stephen August 4, 2007 at 9:40 pm

Today’s poll question: Who would you rather have?
Wilson the shortstop from the Pirates
Wilson the volleyball from the Tom Hanks movie.

Chris August 4, 2007 at 9:41 pm

An 8-run 8th inning would be nice right now……Come on!!!!!

T Smith August 4, 2007 at 9:52 pm

Stephen:

You never cease to entertain. Much needed endorphins if one commits to watch thru all nine innings. (And definately cheaper than my liquor cabinet).

Ken from Cincinnati August 4, 2007 at 9:54 pm

Can we get ONE come from behind victory. Cmon, baby, one time.

Ken from Cincinnati August 4, 2007 at 9:59 pm

I don’t know about you guys, but I would prefer to win here.

Ken from Cincinnati August 4, 2007 at 10:03 pm

Hessman, Monroe, and Inge to start the ninth against Jenks. Just as I had hoped.

T Smith August 4, 2007 at 10:04 pm

Ken in Cinncy:

Hmm. With the bottom three up?

The question is, who does Leyland have on the bench to hit? (Hessman exempted)

T Smith August 4, 2007 at 10:05 pm

Or Hessman included, however you want to look at it.

Stephen August 4, 2007 at 10:05 pm

Thanks T.
Ken: I agree, but short of victory i have to quote from Readers Digest–where i crib all my best ideas–that ‘laughter is the best medicine.’ Although with the way the Tigers are playing the RD column ‘Humor in Uniform’ may be more applicable.

Chris August 4, 2007 at 10:10 pm

The miserable slump continues. It doesn’t seam that the Tigers are going to win another game this year.

Stephen August 4, 2007 at 10:12 pm

Hey, remember when someone on this blog was suggesting we could trade Hessman for bullpen help? Now that’s comedy!

Ken from Cincinnati August 4, 2007 at 10:12 pm

Stephen: So throwing your beer at the dry wall isn’t the best medicine? Oops. I’ll have to try this laughter thing out. Although it will probably be maniacal laughter as opposed to a pleasant chuckle.

Stephen August 4, 2007 at 10:16 pm

Ken, I was that way until the trading deadline. Now I’m moving through the stages of grief. But believe me, i’ve chucked many a beer and uttered many a curse, and angered many a girlfriend with my reaction to Tigers losses. Hang in there buddy.

ron August 4, 2007 at 10:29 pm

Stephan; I know you live in N.Y. and daily inundated by Yankee news. You can’t help soaking it in somewhat. I knew you were a true blue Tiger fan. I just wanted to read your response. Thanx.

Jim August 4, 2007 at 11:06 pm

Just came back…not good…although did watch 3 fans escorted out of the upper deck behind home. Cops and everything. CWS and DET fans were getting rowdy up there!

Btw, I hate to do it but some of his decisions to play some of these guys is starting to wear on me. Mesa, then Neifi, Grilli and Monroe.

T Smith August 4, 2007 at 11:14 pm

ron:

A quick disclaimer:

I will also add that I live in NY and have to endure the media fanfare and obnoxious Yankees/Mets fans daily. I find little solace or comfort anywhere, especially in dark times (which is why you’ll find me often at this site). I have to show my face every Monday morning at work with some clever quip ready on the tongue (especially lately) — yet I do so with resilence and have never dreamed of defecting — despite how awful the Tigers are playing. On the fiip side, there is no one to high-five or share the joy when the Tigers are getting it done. Living in NY as a Tiger fan is a supreme testiment to loyality. Until last year’s ALDS, most NYers didn’t even know there was a baseball team called the Detroit Tigers….

I know you’re a NYer as well, and you can probably relate; but count me in as “true-blue” Tiger fan, despite my various posts that many readers may mistakenly receive with undercurrents of fair-weathered tendencies.

Stephen August 4, 2007 at 11:20 pm

When the Tigers rally–ok, i’ve now had a cocktail so I’m feeling optimistic–us NYC fans may all need to get together and watch a playoff game.
Keep hope alive!

T Smith August 5, 2007 at 12:29 am

I’m in.

Kurt August 5, 2007 at 1:25 am

Stephen was quite entertaining tonight.

But Stephen, you’ll take no offense to this, I’d rather the Tigers win and you be dry!

Stephen August 5, 2007 at 1:33 am

I hear you brother, my kingdom for solidly played game.

Jojo Sun Devil August 5, 2007 at 2:44 am

I used to go to W Sox games and root for the Tigers. W Sox fans are all a bunch of sissies, our fans will rip them apart.

Bill A \ Kal.MI August 5, 2007 at 10:18 am

this is just a slump, IMHO — “FWIW”.

but breaking out means we need to start HITTING

7 to 5 loss, -hmmmmmpf. where’s our other 5 runs?

That having been said what the heck happened in the first inning? Lemme see here 7 minus 4 = 3….. yeah yeah I know 5 to 3 ain’t no Tiger ball game!!

but we are getting this onto the pitching and on purpose.

what I see here is pitching problems accross the board

now to me, lookin’ at the problem as accross the board I’m lookn’ deepeer. we got good arms as anyone. I think we gotta take a look at coaching. cuz that is common accross the board — starters & relievers

I still think the concept of Starting Pitchers & Bullpen is obsolete and became obsolete when then lowered the mound and installed the Designated Hitter. I’d be most interested to see a manager try a straight rotation: each pitcher pitches to the opposing line up one time through the order, & then next man up

Starters & Bullpen become “Pitching Staff”

Bill A \ Kal.MI August 5, 2007 at 10:23 am

Coaching does,/b> does make a difference

our radio and tv announcers have reviewed for us several times the difference in HITTING that Mike Henschel has amde for the Tigers

it is dramatic

now we need the same kind of action for pitching and we ain’t getting it. this goes up to the big office.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site