Tigers Minor League Wrap 7/20/07

by billfer on July 20, 2007 · 14 comments

in 2007 Season,Minors

Toledo 5 Richmond 8
Andres Torres went 3 for 4. Jack Hannahan had 2 hits. Chris Shelton doubled and walked twice. Ron Chiavacci allowed 4 runs on 9 hits in 5 innings. Eulogio De La Cruz pitched 2 scoreless innings but allowed 3 baserunners.

Erie 4 Bowie 3
Clete Thomas went 3 for 5 to lead the way. Wilkin Ramirez was 0 for 4 with 3 K’s in his AA debut. Dallas Trahern allowed 3 runs on 6 hits, 2 walks, and 2 K’s while inducing 13 ground outs in 7 innings.

Lakeland 3 Tampa 4
Mark Haske and Joel Roa had 2 hits each. Eleazar Aponte allowed 4 runs on 6 hits in 6 innings.

Kane County 5 West Michigan 2
Jeramy Laster homered and Ryan Strieby went 2 for 4. Matt O’Brien allowed 11 hits and 5 runs in 5 innings.

Oneonta 5 Mahoning Valley 1
Chris Carlson homered. Kody Kaiser doubled and singled. Devin Thomas singled and walked. Guillermo Moscoso followed up his no no with a 3 hit, 1 run, 8 K, six inning effort.

GCL Tigers 1 GCL Braves 3
Christopher White singled and walkd. Luis Arlet added a triple. Jay Sborz allowed 2 hits and 2 runs with 3 K’s in 3 1/3 hours.

Minors News

The Tigers announced the signing of 3 players today including 3rd round pick Luke Putkonen. The others are Jonathan Kibler and one Richard Zumaya.

{ 14 comments }

Dave Wagner July 20, 2007 at 11:01 pm

and the Tigers’ nepotic drafting strategy proceeds on schedule

Mike R July 21, 2007 at 1:06 am

Nice. Sign Porcello and Crosby and I’d give the Tigers one of the 5 best drafts.

Tram Fan July 21, 2007 at 1:25 am

Is Richard related to Joel?

If so, details please…..

Thanks.

Dave Wagner July 21, 2007 at 1:28 am

yes, they are brothers. Also drafter by the tigers (but not signed, to my knowledge) are al kaline’s grandson, nate robertson’s brother, and gene lamont’s son. I wish I was kidding.

Dave Wagner July 21, 2007 at 1:29 am

drafted, rather

Matt in Toledo July 21, 2007 at 1:41 am

Dave, don’t forget Gene Roof’s son, Shawn.

Mike R July 21, 2007 at 4:04 am

Gene Lamont’s kid was signed. Robertson’s brother, Kaline’s grandson are going to college. I didn’t know Joel’s brother was going to turn pro. I figured he’d go the college route.

Billfer, where’d you see that Rich Zumaya signed? I haven’t seen anything.

Also, not only was Gene Roof’s son, Shawn taken by us, another of Gene’s kids, Jonathan, was taken by the Red Sox.

billfer July 21, 2007 at 7:37 am

The Zumaya signing was just announced yesterday – it was in the press notes. Wade Lamont and Shawn Roof are both playing for the GCL Tigers right now.

Stephen July 21, 2007 at 7:40 am

And don’t forget Ty’s son Corn playing for Erie.

Mike R July 21, 2007 at 11:52 am

I don’t get why Richard Zumaya would sign with the Tigers. He was a 42nd round pick, correct? If I were Joel, I would’ve told him to just go to school and improve your draft stock. If I remember right, Joel was saying in like May of last year that his brother was touching 90 a couple months before his 17th birthday. So he can throw. I just don’t know why, barring a big signing bonus (which i don’t think he would’ve gotten), he would sign out of high school.

Mike R July 21, 2007 at 11:56 am

Oh, just found it Billfer. Even Joel said he was surprised.

“Joel Zumaya said he offered no negotiating advice but was surprised at the signing.

‘I thought he was going to school,’ he said.

‘Forty-third-rounders don’t sign.’”

colin July 21, 2007 at 2:53 pm

Did we pass on a blue-chip prospect that was gone by round 44 or something? I’m all for being cutthroat when it comes to things like the 25-man, but I see this as more of a sign of a healthy, loyal organization than anything else. Mike Piazza was drafted in the 62nd round by the Los Angeles organization…as a personal favor to his godfather Tommy Lasorda.

Nate July 21, 2007 at 3:09 pm

Colin: I think you’re misconstruing the comments here. No one here is upset he signed; we’re just surprised that he did. With a little college under his belt, he probably could have gone higher in the draft next year, and made more money for himself.

colin July 21, 2007 at 5:44 pm

Roger that Nate, I was talking about the Tigs drafting/filling minor league rosters with family in general. It’s a good thing. Cal Ripken Jr. is another example of a Hall of Fame player that was drafted by his dad’s organization (2nd round, 48th overall pick).

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site