PREGAME: The Tigers return home riding a 7 game winning streak. In fact, no Detroit team has lost since April 30th when the Red Wings dropped a game to the Sharks.
Jeremy Bonderman takes the mound with a little extra rest taken to heal a blister. It sounds like the blister effects him primarily on his 2 seam fastball. If we’re seeing lots of groundballs tonight that means he’s probably feeling okay.
The Tigers will be opposed by lefty Horacio Ramirez. With the southpaw on the mound Omar Infante will get the start in centerfield and Pudge Rodriguez will lead off. Sean Casey, who is 5 for 13 with a homer off Ramirez will get the start at first. Ramirez’s strikeout and walk rates aren’t particularly impressive, but he has kept the ball in the park with only 2 homers in 20.3 innings this year.
Game Time 7:05pm
POSTGAME Seven in a row is good, but 8 is great.
- The bottom of the order came up big going 7 for 10 with 7 RBI. Monroe and Inge took a while to get going, but along with Omar Infante they carried the offense today.
- I watched this game and I still can’t figure out how Bonderman surrendered 5 runs. He had the slider working and was locating his fastball well as evidenced by the 7 K’s and 2 BB’s. Of the 7 hits he allowed 3 were of the infield variety and 2 of them could have been double plays if they hadn’t been hit so weakly.
- Now there is no doubting the Sexson homer. Bonderman tried to sneak in a fastball on the inner part of the plate while ahead in the count. In retrospect it was a bad move, but I understand the thinking. It was reasonable to expect Sexson to be looking for the slider away, and an inside fastball could have frozen him. It didn’t hit and ended up in the seats.
- Bobby Seay was pretty awesome. Fernando Rodney not as much. Thank goodness for the offense.
- Todd Jones actually pitched pretty well, but got some huge help from his corner outfielders who both made web-gem type catches. I’ve ragged on Ordonez for not going after balls before, but I have to commend him on this one. Good thing he made the catch though or the tying run is in scoring position.