Game 84: Tigers at Athletics

PREGAME One year ago today, a hot shot pitching prospect made his major league debut – and didn’t pitch well. Today, that same pitching prospect is a rookie of the year candidate and has a very real shot at making the All Star game. (speaking of which, what have you done to get Justin Verlander to the All Star game today?)

Justin Verlander will make his second start against the A’s this season. His first effort was solid, but resulted in a loss due to 2 Carlos Guillen errors and 2 Nick Swisher homers.

Verlander will be opposed by Dan Haren who the Tigers missed back in April.

Happy 4th of July to everyone, especially those men and women who work to protect our freedoms and independence.

Game Time 5:05pm

POSTGAME: To quote Jim Price, “Oh those base on balls.” They came back to haunt Fernando Rodney as arche-nemesis Jay Payton did in the Tigers again. To both Payton and Rodney’s credit, the hit that won it came on a pretty good pitch on the outer edge of the plate. The Tigers didn’t lose because of Rodney though. Okay, he helped, but the offense that could barely muster a scoring threat was as much to blame.

Of the Tigers 6 hits, 4 came from back-up players. The only starters to look comfortable at the plate were Carlos Guillen and Chris Shelton. Each gathered a hit, but also contributed in other at-bats as well. Carlos Guillen drew a walk, and Shelton hit a ball well enough to plate a run early in the game. The trouble was it was a one-hop smash right at Bobby Crosby.

The Tigers have another afternoon tilt tomorrow as they look to avoid the sweep.

1. Steve P.

July 4, 2006 at 4:37 pm

I can’t put my finger on it, but I really don’t want Verlander to go to the All-Star game. I just don’t see anything good coming out of it.

Go Tigers.

2. Tony

July 4, 2006 at 7:01 pm

I think the Tigers hitters think the All-Star game has already come. Great job by the pitchers. Rodney, please stop walking everyone, don’t listen to Todd Jones, ok…

3. Kevin

July 4, 2006 at 8:25 pm

The only good I see about Justin Verlander going to the all-star game is that it will help give him serious run for a rookie of the year award.

I to would prefer to see him rest, but I’ve said this about all the players probably 10 times on this blog, so nobody should be surprised.

Also on the all-star front…it was posted earlier that Magglio was next in line for AL outfielders. Well, it sounds like Manny Ramirez may be skipping the all-star game, so Magglio may also be going.

4. Boston Fan in Michigan

July 4, 2006 at 8:30 pm

I have had it up to NYAH with Jay Payton. First he whines and moans his way off the Red Sox, then he decides he wants to spend the rest of his career knocking around the Tigers. WHAT HAVE YOU GOT AGAINST ME JAY PAYTON

5. Mark S.

July 5, 2006 at 10:33 am

Hey
    Anyone know whats up with Maglio? The Free Press Reported that he was on the all star team. But i havn’t seen anything official on MLB.com or Detroittigers.com. What’s the scoop?

6. Dennis

July 5, 2006 at 11:07 am

looks like he’s going, if you can believe both ozzie guillen and terry francona.

Guillen said if any outfielder drops out, he’d add mags.
    Francona said Manny’s not going, but MLB hasn’t/won’t announce it yet.

if francona’s right, and guillen sticks to his word, mags goes.

7. Paul

July 5, 2006 at 11:13 am

The Freep says Mags is in
    Article

8. Steve

July 5, 2006 at 11:46 am

Yo Bostin fan in Michigan What is NYAH. I have not heard this term.

Steve

9. Jeff M

July 5, 2006 at 1:33 pm

What is NYAH.

It doesn’t mean anything. It’s just a crazy NE way of way saying she’s sick of him. 🙂

10. Dave

July 5, 2006 at 1:50 pm

I agree on Verlander.

By that I mean, he’s certainly deserving and I’d love to see him pitch in the All-Star game, BUT, he’s never pitched more than 120 innings in a season and I’d much rather he get some time off so as to minimize the chances of him tiring down the stretch. Every little thing could count.

11. Sam

July 5, 2006 at 2:26 pm

Verlander should stay home and REST!!!!

Vote aginst him, personally, I voted for Pronk (Hafner). That guy is good!

-Sam

12. Kyle J

July 5, 2006 at 2:59 pm

I think we’re overanalyzing things here. On the list of factors that will determine whether the Tigers play well down the stretch, a few of them going to the All-Star game is about #168. It’s fun to have your team’s players in the game. I say vote for Verlander.

That having been said, I think Liriano will get the nod. Both are rookies, and Liriano’s numbers are amazing (even though they’re over a shorter time period).