links for 2007-09-26

Posted by on September 26, 2007.

Categories: Links

1. Ugh. If Sheffield does hang them up that makes Bonds to Detroit a DISTINCT possibility.

I don’t know if I can root for a team like that. It took a lot to come around on Sheffield.

by Mike R on Sep 26, 2007 at 4:04 pm

2. If Sheff doesn’t come back, we are really, really going to need to get another bat this off-season. Although, I for one, would like to see Granderson moved to the No. 3 hole even if Sheffield does come back – assuming we can acquire a passable lead off replacement (can you say Edgar Renteria?)

by Scott on Sep 26, 2007 at 4:30 pm

3. Oh man, the possibility of Gary Sheffield walking away from $28 million: ZERO. There’s more potential of me DH’ing next year for the Tigers and I batted .200 in 1980. This is just late season talking to hear himself talk. There is no chance, no chance, no chance.
    Did i say there’s no chance?

by Stephen on Sep 26, 2007 at 4:57 pm

4. Sheff walking away from 28m is the best laugh I’ve had all week.

by Stephen on Sep 26, 2007 at 4:59 pm

5. [wiping tears of laughter from my eyes. ribs hurting from chuckling]

by Stephen on Sep 26, 2007 at 5:02 pm

6. I am not too worried about Sheff walking. It would be a issue if he comes to Spring Training and the shoulder is still an issue. Tough to grab a hitter at that point.

On Granderson – Not a #3 hitter at this time. He has had real issues in clutch situations this year and a manager could go at him late in games with a lefty. I say Grandy would good at #6 behind Guillen, if we find another lead off candidate.

BA Top 20 – Not looking good for the Tigers since they have a lot of older players playing in leagues that are meant for teens and 20-21 year olds. That is hurting them on these lists and it does show the lack of Top ceiling prospects in the system now. This has been the orginizations MO for years, but it has looked OK so far with guys like Larish and Hollimon advancing and becoming prospects. I saw on that list 5 years ago for the NY Penn list, that Granderson was #10. The only guy better then him on there, was Hanley Ramirez. Funny how they work out in the end I guess. Just wished the Tigers had better young players that played well.

by Michael M. on Sep 26, 2007 at 5:50 pm

7. If Sheff doesn’t come back, we are really, really going to need to get another bat this off-season. Although, I for one, would like to see Granderson moved to the No. 3 hole even if Sheffield does come back – assuming we can acquire a passable lead off replacement (can you say Edgar Renteria?)

Oh god. Just what we need. Another early 30′s SS on the downside of his career that has injury problems and terrible defensive range. No thanks. At all.

Well, “clutch” stats tend to vary a lot from year to year. Just look at Craig Monroe’s year-by-year numbers in “clutch” situations.

These “best in X-League” lists seem to be incredibly arbitrary. I’ve heard they are based 95% on tools and 5% on actual production — which is a far cry from what Baseball America does for it’s Top 100 and Top 10 for each organization.

I’m not sold on Larish and Hollimon being much of prospects. Even though they’ve got okay-to-good numbers, they’re both already 25 years old. Eventually you start to turn from “prospect” to “career minor leaguer”.

The real problem isn’t good young players, it’s good young position players. Most of the bulk of our good young players are pitchers — Miller, Jurrjens, Porcello, Furbush, Eulogio De La Cruz, and so on and so on. I’ve been saying for a while that our system is thin as a whole and really middle of the road at best compared to the other MLB clubs.

by Mike R on Sep 26, 2007 at 8:22 pm

8. Re: lack of minor league PP depth: Well, thankfully we don’t have that many position holes to fill. As always, it’s cheaper for the Tigers work some FA/trade options for a position player than fill a spot on the staff.

by Chris Y. on Sep 26, 2007 at 10:11 pm

9. But the lack of player position prospects is a big problem once our aging lineup, you know, starts to suck. Magglio is only going to get worse, Inge is… well Inge, if Pudge comes back it’s feasible to think that he very well could be worse then he was this year, and so on and so on.

by Mike R on Sep 26, 2007 at 11:36 pm

10. >I say Grandy would good at #6 behind Guillen, if we find another lead off candidate.

Presumably, you’d be wanting more than a candidate (lots of them out there).

Lead-off hitters seem only outranked by middle relievers on most team’s wish lists. In other words, you’re talking rare commodities.

by Bobber on Sep 27, 2007 at 4:48 pm