Game 2017.161: Tigers at Twins

Rain is in the forecast for tomorrow, so Brad might go for the Romine-Go-Round tonight. Or he might not! The suspense is killing me. If he does, Loon has it all planned out for him. But why should he start listening to us now?

Tonight’s Lineup:

1. Alex Presley RF
  2. Dixon Machado 2B
  3. Nick Castellanos 3B
  4. Efren Navarro 1B
  5. James McCann DH
  6. Bryan Holaday C
  7. Andrew Romine LF
  8. JaCoby Jones CF
  9. Jose Iglesias SS

Pitching: Buck Farmer

1. Smoking Loon

September 30, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Say, does anyone figure that the following is *not* 68% of the team that will break camp in 2018?:

Fulmer (how did I forget him the first time around?)
    Zimmermann
    Machado
    Candelario
    Romine
    Castellanos
    Mahtook
    Presley

I do not find this encouraging, somehow. Even if any of them are liable to have better seasons, good ones and maybe even great ones. It’s too much like 2017, because, well, it mostly *is* like 2017.

Who are the other eight guys? Six pitchers and two position players. I get a sinking (V-Mart) sensation (Jones) about the (no difference at all!) latter. And they can’t possibly draw six pitchers out of the current pile of crap, can they? I mean, seriously, Farmer and VerHagen and Hardy and Rondon and Sanchez and Wilson and Bell and Ryan and Ferrell and Saupold cannot be seen again. They really can’t be. Jimenez needs a full, uninterrupted season at Toledo before he can become the next closer of the future flop.

It really does seem like some trades for pitching talent will be required. Castellanos has carried the offense for two months. Maybe he really is a cornerstone. But he, Iglesias, and maybe Kinsler seem to be the only position players other teams would bother inquiring about.

2. Smoking Loon

September 30, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Maybe the Yankees will get to the World Series and get a little drunk as a result. I would then say to them, say, you need a DH. How about a baseball legend, your chance to have your own resurgent Big Papi to plague the Red Sox with for years? We’ll take that bad Jacoby Ellsbury contract off your hands, and maybe a couple prospects as well. Miguel Cabrera will pay for himself, trust us. He’s a very entertaining character, and the New York press will have such a good time with him.

3. Tony de Florida

September 30, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Is it too early for Lettuce to pitch?

• Smoking Loon

September 30, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Farmer needs to stay in the game to ensure a blowout. Although there is probably a backup plan for the same tomorrow.

4. Coleman

September 30, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Ausmus is totally mismanaging this. The three outfield positions first? Those are the easiest. This is the last straw. Fire Ausmus!

• Tony de Florida

September 30, 2017 at 8:59 pm

Sorry to say this is the highlight of this season. If only Brad took the Tiger medical/training staff with him, it would be great.

• Smoking Loon

September 30, 2017 at 10:16 pm

I’m with Coleman! If Ausmus isn’t fired by the end of this series, I’m boycotting the rest of the season.

5. Tony de Florida

September 30, 2017 at 9:25 pm

You know Lettuce doesn’t want any hiccups while he’s catching or his brother won’t let him forget it. On the plus side, with the Tigers pen, not many balls make it to the catcher.

6. Jud

September 30, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Congrats to Lettuce for this amazing feat. He is a good guy, they say he is a good team mate. We applaud you….
    P. S. An extra shout out to the Tigers for actually leading in the 9th so he could do this.

• Tony de Florida

September 30, 2017 at 10:09 pm

7. Smoking Loon

September 30, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Ha! Too funny. Romine records the first and last putouts of the game. How about that?

8. Tony de Florida

September 30, 2017 at 10:17 pm

I guess no matter what happens tomorrow, worse case we get #2 draft choice.

9. Smoking Loon

September 30, 2017 at 10:25 pm

Good for Andrew, good for the Tigers. This kind of win – without the sideshow – is what we’ve longed to see all season. Get the lead, hold the lead.

Was Collins completely unavailable for action, then? Even if he was, I find the following questionable:

Romine not catching the 1st inning (he was all over that idea himself)
    McCann at DH and Castellanos in the field – inane
    Not playing Kinsler and Candelario most of the game or Hicks any of it – inane

I have to say it was a bit surprising that Sano didn’t burn Romine. Courtesy? Good pitch? Sano just can’t hit the off-speed stuff?

• Tony de Florida

September 30, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Loon, if you hit the lottery you would probably complain because there were too many even (or odd) numbers! I predict a very painful 2018 for you as far as the Tigers are concerned. As far as “Fingers” is concerned, I would consider him unavailable forever.

• Smoking Loon

September 30, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Well, Tony, there was nothing in it for me with Collins playing except that it made sense for the whole substitution scheme. We get that you don’t like Collins.

Romine playing all nine positions one way or the other when it was a foregone conclusion isn’t *quite* akin to winning the lottery. And the way Ausmus went about it *was* a bit odd.

2018 cannot possibly be worse than September 2017 for the Tigers or the pain they cause me, I guarantee it. If the 2018 Detroit Tigers finish 34-128, I’ll have to take that back.

• Tony de Florida

October 1, 2017 at 12:38 am

The one thing I didn’t understand is why Brad lost the DH. When Lettuce caught, he moved Holaday to 2B. All he had to do was switch Doc back to he plate and keep McCann as DH. Instead, he had McCann move to catcher, losing the DH.

• Smoking Loon

October 1, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Sure ended up being a messy box score, didn’t it? My plan was cleaner.

I thought it was fun to test my plan against what actually happened. Guess I’ll never understand the reasoning for what I found questionable, but hey, it worked, it happened, and the Tigers even won. That last was the most surprising thing of all.

10. Jud

October 1, 2017 at 12:15 am

With a rain out tomorrow…perfect ending to the 2017 season. A Romine history game, a one game winning streak, and good bye Brad…..I’m good!

• Tony de Florida