Game 2017.145: Tigers at Indians

Since this game is unfashionably early, it seemed like a good time to try sneaking the game post picture pun in again.

Lineups

1. Ian Kinsler 2B
  2. Alex Presley LF
  3. Miguel Cabrera DH
  4. Nick Castellanos RF
  5. Jaimer Candelario 3B
  6. James McCann C
  7. Andrew Romine 1B
  8. JaCoby Jones CF
  9. Jose Iglesias SS

Pitching: Buck Farmer vs Mike Clevinger

1. Jud

September 13, 2017 at 3:51 pm

21 in a row.. 7 against the Tigers… That in itself should be enough to nullify the record….

• Tony de Florida

September 13, 2017 at 4:11 pm

No Jud, It’s still a record but worse than that it’s a preview of our 2018 Roaring Tigers.

• Smoking Loon

September 14, 2017 at 12:30 am

Tony, I don’t think 2018 could be this bad, not even if they swapped in the Lakeland Flying Tigers. I wasn’t paying attention in 2003, so this is the most hapless I’ve ever seen Detroit. By far.

• Smoking Loon

September 14, 2017 at 12:34 am

Jud is right. Definite asterisk in Cleveland’s record.

• Jud

September 14, 2017 at 6:08 am

2. StorminNorman$

September 13, 2017 at 5:10 pm

interesting…and a viable possibility

• Tony de Florida

September 13, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Yes, interesting and certainly possible. I would hope the family would try to comply with Mr. I’s wish that they keep the Tigers. Since Mr. I played minor league ball, I’m sure he held them closer than even the Wings. As we know he only purchased the Wings when he couldn’t buy the Tigers. What bothers me is that if the family keeps the Tigers they will need to show more urgency in approaching the monumental task of rebuild. I’m not sure Big Al is up to the task and Brad certainly is not. If they are serious, they need to make some moves soon.

• Smoking Loon

September 14, 2017 at 12:03 am

All signs point to sell. Sell or not, I hope there’s a thorough housecleaning in store.

3. Smoking Loon

September 14, 2017 at 12:28 am

Not too often the Tigers – or any team – have had endure a run like the current 9-28. Most recent similar stretch for Detroit was ending 2005 with 9-26. Then there was 2003, of course, with good times like 1-17, 9-35, 9-28, and 7-31. That pitching staff was about as good as what’s left of this one. 12 Nate Cornejo’s would trump this one.

9-28. Unless the team is being sold, what accounts for Ausmus still being here? This kind of collapse is usually auto-fire regardless of whether the manager is actually to blame. A gesture of “action.”

4. Smoking Loon

September 14, 2017 at 12:38 am

Good for all the guys who were traded to contenders. I guess Miggy and Victor wanted to stay in Detroit so bad that they took a dive for the season. Kinsler, too?

5. Coleman

September 14, 2017 at 1:08 am

It’s been a while since I’ve bothered to look at the Faces of WAR lineup…I think the last time I was surprised to see Gene Lamont appear on the list for a day, but he was bumped off the next day by I think Arcenio Leon or something.

But this is how bad it is: currently the 5th most valuable player for the Tigers this season is their ex-backup-catcher, Alex Avila.

6. Jud

September 14, 2017 at 6:12 am

Let the battle for the worst team in the AL Central begin with the surging Sux coming to town….. Prediction Miggy and Kinsler, who have both quit, tally 4 hits added together for the series… Maybe 1 rbi…

• Tony de Florida

September 14, 2017 at 11:18 am

Well ladies and gentlemen, you all wanted the Tigers to play meaningful baseball in September and we are here. The Whit Sox are only 2 games behind the Tigers and we start a 4 game series for sole possession of last place. The question is do we want to win or lose this series?

7. StorminNorman$

September 14, 2017 at 8:52 am

“In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity” — Sun Tzu

we shall see what “opportunities” arise out of the ongoing chaos w/DET Tigers… whatever the case, its going to be a long bumpy ride Tiger fans

8. Tony de Florida

September 14, 2017 at 11:53 am

To quote another oriental wise man: “Hope is sunshine which illuminate darkest path.”

However, Tiger’s management should also heed his other wise words: “Words cannot cook rice.”

Both quotes from Charlie Chan.