Game 2017.115: Twins at Tigers

Well, a slow day in my head, so let’s just check in with what

The Donkey, Don Kelly, has been up to.

Today’s Lineup:

Pitching:  Sanchie vs Gibsy

1. Coleman

August 11, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Mikie the Masher.

2. Tony de Florida

August 11, 2017 at 8:33 pm

That’s #2. Good thing we don’t have a hitter’s park.

3. Tony de Florida

August 11, 2017 at 8:37 pm

I hope Big Al is paying attention. In 2018 Sanchez can cost us $16Mil if he plays or $5Mil if he doesn’t. Which would you pick?

• Smoking Loon

August 11, 2017 at 10:38 pm

It’s a real dilemma, what with the investment in the Sanchie jersey.

4. Coleman

August 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Some more legendary Tiger baserunning.

5. Jud

August 11, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Kins.. Casty.. Miggy.. VMart.. Their usual 3/16, helping make those $$$

6. Tony de Florida

August 11, 2017 at 10:16 pm

It’s hard to choose which part of Casty’s game is better, his fielding or base running. And I still can’t understand why Lettuce starts in RF instead of Aducci.

• Smoking Loon

August 11, 2017 at 10:47 pm

Why stop there? Average hitter with overrated power, poor OBP with higher than average K and lower than average BB. Does not profile well at any position without some major defense. Can he catch, maybe? I’m pretty sure he can’t pitch unless that’s a knuckle curve he’s been throwing to 1B, in which case maybe he can. Also due for an arbitration raise.

7. Coleman

August 11, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Nick might take the coveted Kinsler Award –he’s made 9 outs on the bases this season. Cabrera and Kinsler are dropping out of reach with only 5. Especially Cabrera, since he’s never on base these days.

• Smoking Loon

August 11, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Probably works the same for Kinsler, also not spending much time on base. Just enough time to fall asleep there.

8. Tony de Florida

August 11, 2017 at 10:24 pm

I thought Sanchez’s start was disappointing but it has turned out to be the high point of the Tiger pitching tonight. Maybe JoeJ can end the inning.

9. Smoking Loon

August 11, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Jimenez puts out the fire after the house has burnt down! Can’t have everything.

10. Smoking Loon

August 11, 2017 at 11:07 pm

The good news is that the Tigers are still undefeated this season when outscoring the opponent.

(I have to drag that one out every once in a while.)

Seriously, if the Tigers had scored 5 runs each and every game this season – let’s just split the 16 games where the opponent also scored 5 – they would be 63-52. By similar calculations they would be 50-65 if they always scored 4 runs, and 76-39 if they always scored 6 runs.

The aforementioned 63-52 sounds good, but let’s look at a team or two with a pitching staff. The Cleveland Indians would be 75-37 if they always scored 5 runs. The Los Angeles Dodgers would 95-19.*

*Working with day-old stats in these instances.

11. Smoking Loon

August 11, 2017 at 11:18 pm

Although there is still time to make up 11 games and it is still more than just mathematically possible for the Tigers to finish .500, that time is running out and I am seeing nothing too encouraging. I’m calling 73-89 right now.

The dream of a 100-win 2017 is still alive, however. Even for the Tigers, I mean.

• Smoking Loon

August 12, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Oops. I was a day late with that joke. Unless I’m counting on both 47 wins in a row *and* a Game 163 for the division title.

12. Smoking Loon

August 11, 2017 at 11:32 pm

43 of the 62 runs allowed by Mr. Anibal this season have been on home runs. Only 5 of the 21 HR allowed have been solo home runs.

Please retire after the season. Or pitch for a division rival.

13. Jud

August 12, 2017 at 9:24 am

Let’s see the worst rated baserunner in the entire MLB makes two more base running mistakes. I guess that’s how you become the leagues worst baserunner. After the game. Brad did you talk to him… “No”, “what was I supposed to say!!!!” … Hmmmmm.

• Smoking Loon

August 12, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Yes, but what *was* he supposed to say? “You’re fired”?

• Tony de Florida

August 12, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Jud, for once I agree with Brad. What can he say? But I would think that 3 years into his tenure, the team would have fundamentals down. That of course can be laid squarely on the coaching staff and lack of discipline. By default, that is the managements fault. There is never any penalty for players that do what they want, Miggy and others included. And so far, I see no sense of direction from Chris or the GM.