Game 2017.121: Dodgers at Tigers

Well, the Tigers were just swept by the Rangers, so they couldn’t do any worse against the Dogers, right?

Sauchie is on the DL with longballitis—um, i mean hamstring soreness—and the Tigers bring up the other forgotten man, Jacoby Jones (what, no Adduci?).

Today’s Lineup:

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
  2. Mikie Mahtook, CF
  3. Justin Upton, LF
  4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
  5. Nick Castellanos, 3B
  6. Victor Martinez, DH
  7. James McCann, C
  8. Alex Presley, RF
  9. Jose Iglesias, SS

Pitching:  Jordan Zimmermann vs Rich Hill

Rich Hill is a Wolverine alum, so there should be plenty of friends and family and all that there to watch.

1. Tony de Florida

August 18, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Coleman: I told you Brad doesn’t like Adduci. There is a plus to Jones: aside from being a good defensive outfielder he can play a very respectable 3B. Hmm

2. Jud

August 18, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Problem Is Brad likes Jones…… who can’t seem to get his bat to hit the ball….

3. Jud

August 18, 2017 at 7:36 pm

I will never understand the Adducci thing.. All the dead weight on the Tigers and this guy can’t play..?????

4. Jud

August 18, 2017 at 7:39 pm

2-0 Tigs.. So we’re lookin at 9-3 Dodgers… Before too long

• Tony de Florida

August 18, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Right on schedule, 4-2 Dodgers. Zimm is Ok, he’ll get a $6M raise next year.

5. Tony de Florida

August 18, 2017 at 8:17 pm

Oh boy, and now the top of the order.

6. Jud

August 18, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Zim 71 in 4 innings.. Business as usual… Plus make sure you walk that LOH every inning

7. Tony de Florida

August 18, 2017 at 8:52 pm

We’ve blown a couple of chances to make this a game, as usual.

8. Jud

August 19, 2017 at 5:33 am

Time The second biggest reason the Tigers are this bad…
    Kins.. Casty.. MIGGY.. VMart go 5/20 one of their better games.. Strand 13 actually drive in a run or two. On a night where they were needed.. Again… And again the failed.. Almost 8 out if every 10 games they do this.

9. StorminNorman$

August 19, 2017 at 11:07 am

its probably already been contemplated here, but the way Upton is hitting, his age, and DET projected roster for next season, I suspect he will opt-out of his contract for bigger dollars/more years and sign with a team that projects to be more competitive than DET

I suspect DET is in for a couple very challenging years – perhaps they’ll adopt the HOU method …which is unload all large/unproductive contracts and 3-4 years of bottom dwelling – and build through the draft (top 5 draft picks) and low-dollar signings

• Tony de Florida

August 19, 2017 at 12:09 pm

Other that at my age I’m never sure that I’ll get to enjoy the results, I agree. I also have voiced my opinion that J-Up is playing to opt out. I think it may be more about joining a contender than raw dollars. My biggest concern is Miggy because if he is going to remain a .250 hitter, he has a lot of years left. As a fan that would be painful.

10. StorminNorman$

August 19, 2017 at 1:13 pm

$30M per year for the next 4 yrs, then $32M for next two year (’22 & ’23), then a $30M vesting option if he finishes in the top-10 voting for MVP …I agree 100% Tony, that’s a lot of cabbage for a aging/often injured .250-ish hitter

• Jud

August 19, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Be interesting, guys, if there is a list of those making $25+mil…what team is getting any value for their $$$. Scherzer maybe.. Kershaw probably.. But who else?

11. Tony de Florida

August 19, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Our old friend Curtis Granderson will be playing in Comerica today for the LA Dodgers. He was traded for the PTBNL or cash. He’s got to feel like he hit the lottery going from the Mets to the Dodgers. Probably Alex and JWillie feel the same way.

12. Jud

August 19, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Sum up the Tiger bullpen in one statement
    “we walk the leadoff hitter when we enter a game”………. Always

• Jud

August 19, 2017 at 6:50 pm

And they score that guy!