Game 2017.113: Pirates at Tigers

Well, hell of a day to be late on the game post. Because there are important happenings afoot.

Yes, MLB has finally realized they have to do something for the players. Because they work so hard, for peanuts, in anonymity. So this upcoming weekend is player appreciation week.  And as part of this much overdue gesture to finally play attention to the players, there will be a weekend where the players get to play in weird jerseys with their nicknames on them.

And, by some strange coincidence, the fans will be able to pay very large but well merited amounts for these said jerseys, because MLB is thinking about the fans while honoring the players, because they are nice that way.

Loon will finally be able to get his “Sanchie” jersey, which makes me happy inside.

The teams apparently had veto power over the nicknames. I guess that explains why Nick is “Nick.” I guess they vetoed “E-5.”

I would like to take credit for this nickname jersey idea—I mean, our blog was talking up nicknames DAYS ago—but since they already had jerseys made up…probably a coincidence.

Candelario was too late to the party for a nickname jersey. Still, he must still be a mite peeved that Iglesias is Candelito. Total nickname blocking there!

Oh, also I predict Verlander will pitch very well today.

Today’s Lineup:

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
  2. Jim Adduci, RF
  3. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
  4. Nick Castellanos, 3B
  5. Mikie Mahtook, CF
  6. Victor Martinez, DH
  7. John Hicks C
  8. Andrew Romine, LF
  9. Jose Iglesias, SS

Pitching:  Justin Verlander vs Ivan Nova

1. Coleman

August 9, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Hmm. JV might be stitching an “E-5” on the Castellanos jersey deep in the night.

2. Coleman

August 9, 2017 at 9:12 pm

I have watched that a few times. That play is an E maybe 30% of the time. This is interesting.

• Smoking Loon

August 9, 2017 at 9:30 pm

“Very close to being a spectacular play…” Ha ha ha ha.

• Smoking Loon

August 9, 2017 at 11:16 pm

I shouldn’t mock. So far I’ve only seen one angle, not a good one. But what draws my attention now is how Castellanos played it *after* getting eaten up by the ball. Take a look. No urgency. Hit, error, whatever. It did not have to be a double, though. No way.

On the other hand, 5 RBI. It’s The Castellanos Conundrum. Just like the novel by Robert Ludlum, or Coleman, or whoever it was.

Wasn’t it just the play before that Adduci tracked one down pretty nicely?

• Tony de Florida

August 9, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Good observation. My son in law was here and he made the same comment. It’s either a single or an out at 2nd if he had run after the ball.

• Coleman

August 10, 2017 at 12:14 am

I’ve gone back in forth a few times in my head on this. Ausmus did make a bunch of things moot by bringing in Greene, which is a good thing in some ways–it certainly let Nick off the hook, and maybe the official scorer. But on the other hand, I think JV has earned the right to finish off the disputed no-hitter.

3. Smoking Loon

August 9, 2017 at 9:23 pm

Phew! Glad to see that fourth run.

E-5 washed away! The Casty Man can cause he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good.

4. Smoking Loon

August 9, 2017 at 9:36 pm

Hey hey! Let JV get a CG. Coleman The Predictor, yeah man!

5. Coleman

August 9, 2017 at 9:42 pm

I’d trade the 3-run triple for an out or error on that play.

I think they should change the scoring decision after the game; that would generate way more interest than a Sanchie jersey.

6. Doug of Troy

August 9, 2017 at 9:48 pm

If it weren’t for E-5, Verlander could’ve had his 3rd no hitter. Only 5 pitchers accomplished that feat, including Cy Young, Feller, Koufax and Ryan.

• Coleman

August 9, 2017 at 9:53 pm

It’s technically possible that they could change the scoring decision. An incredible long shot, but maybe they’ll consider that E-5 was playing third.

• Smoking Loon

August 9, 2017 at 10:01 pm

It is possible, but the baseball gods do not look favorably upon Tigers no-hitters. Remember Galarraga. And the Alamo.

• Coleman

August 9, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Brad settled the issue. C’mon Brad! What, are you saving his arm for a trade or something? He had a shot at a legitimate disputed no-hitter.

• Tony de Florida

August 9, 2017 at 10:22 pm

My own opinion is that Brad can’t stand JV. He’s let him get shelled in several games long after he should have pulled him which has run his ERA up. Yes, should have gone for the complete game.

• Smoking Loon

August 9, 2017 at 10:42 pm

Doug, Verlander thinks he can pitch until he’s 44, and I don’t doubt him. I think he’ll get his 3rd no-hitter at some point.

7. Smoking Loon

August 9, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Yay! Go Justin. Of course, all the debate about the no-hitter might end right here.

Gak! Gameday lied to me. I suppose it still holds, but…

8. Smoking Loon

August 9, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Greene can pass Avila on the WAR board with this. Maybe.

9. Smoking Loon

August 9, 2017 at 10:12 pm

There goes everything.

• Smoking Loon

August 9, 2017 at 10:16 pm

OK, maybe not everything. Shutout!

10. Coleman

August 9, 2017 at 10:15 pm

I think the fans should be able to vote on the nickname on Brad’s jersey for the weekend.

Seriously, why not bring Justin back out, just for the fun of the sorta no-hitter? To protect Casty’s feelings? And if you are going to, why Greene? It’s 10-0, that’s Saupold Time. Or that Chad Bell guy or whoever.

• Smoking Loon

August 9, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Can’t help but agree. “Greenie” needed the work, though. That, I am sure, was the reasoning for one thing. The other? I’m sure Verlander will be questioned on the matter, and I don’t expect any controversial answer.

• Tony de Florida

August 9, 2017 at 10:34 pm

+1 JV is too much a pro to bad mouth a team mate.

• Smoking Loon

August 9, 2017 at 10:39 pm

He wouldn’t say anything about the E-5 for sure, but I was thinking more of the “what did you think about being removed from the game?” question.

11. Jud

August 9, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Let’s see Candyman plays a little yesterday and today Casty gets 3 hits 5 RBI…. Hmmmmm… Coincidence I think not!!!

12. Tony de Florida

August 9, 2017 at 10:31 pm

As I said, Brad doesn’t like JV.The “hit” would have been in an out with many of the better 3b players. Still, it was smoked so hit is OK. If JV pitches a clean ninth, then it would have been more of a doubt for the official scorer. It’s OK, no-no’s are not supposed to be easy.

13. Smoking Loon

August 9, 2017 at 10:36 pm

It really is too funny, that jersey thing, right after nicknames became a hot topic here. I’ll wear the “Sanchie” right after you guys chip in and buy it for me.

• Coleman

August 9, 2017 at 10:40 pm

Only if you wear it to a game and take a Sanchie Selfie.

• Smoking Loon

August 9, 2017 at 10:53 pm

Oh heck yeah. I’d be obligated. But I’m actually starting to warm up to the Sanchie thing, now that I’ve seen the “official” nicknames. Sanchie isn’t so bad, I guess.

14. Tony de Florida

August 9, 2017 at 11:02 pm

I tire of all the post game “it’s great to be home” comments. Have they noticed they are a sizzling 28-25 at home?

• Smoking Loon

August 9, 2017 at 11:20 pm

Ha ha. They probably mean literal home, not Comerica Park. But 28-25 is pretty sizzling for a 52-61 team.

• Tony de Florida

August 9, 2017 at 11:30 pm

Sad but true.

15. HelpMeMakeitThruThe9th

August 10, 2017 at 11:19 am

Castey just has to knock that bugger down… He has no chance other than blind luck to make a play like that … Verlander’s look on the mound was priceless…Miggy probably whispered …. Now you can’t be surprised are you?