Game 2017.93: Tigers at Royals

Well, apparently I jinxed JD last night by celebrating the fact that he was in the lineup. Seriously though, there were some anxious moments when he came out of Monday night’s game, and the trade almost fell through. JD, for his part, is already talking about wanting to come back.  Now that would be an ideal situation.

JD’s replacement looks to be (drumroll)…the long-lost Face of WAR himself, Jim Adduci, who finally makes his triumphant return. Yes, he has dropped off the face chart. But it’s only a matter of time. Warwick Saupold and James McCann, you’d better be looking over your shoulders!

An outfield of Upton, Adduci, Mahtook, and Presley could be quite formidable. OK, I don’t really believe that. But based on what they’ve done so far, who knows?

As a point of random interest, ESPN listed the four longest home runs hit on Monday. Three of them were from home run derby contestants (Charlie Blackmon, 451, Justin Bour, 446, and Giancarlo Stanton, 441). The other was from none other than Mikie Mahtook (445).

Today’s Lineup:

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
  2. Alex Avila, C
  3. Justin Upton, LF
  4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
  5. Nick Castellanos, 3B
  6. Victor Martinez, DH
  7. Jim Adduci, RF
  8. Alex Presley, CF
  9. Jose Iglesias, SS

Pitching: Justin Verlander vs Jason Hammel

OK, Justin, are you really the one who’s going to drop the win streak? I don’t think so.

Nick takes over JD’s spot in the lineup.

1. Bill

July 19, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Don’t look now but the tigers are in a pennant race! A win tonight and they are 4 out. Can we make a trade to get JD back

• Smoking Loon

July 19, 2017 at 7:59 pm

It would probably take a package of three infield prospects, but I’m just guessing.

2. Bill

July 19, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Avila would be talked into giving more than that

• Smoking Loon

July 19, 2017 at 9:36 pm

I don’t know that his trades have been so bad, and the generous contracts handed to Upton and Zimmermann, among others, well… I have a feeling a certain Mr. I may have been an influence there.

JD is damaged goods now. No refund.

3. Smoking Loon

July 19, 2017 at 9:46 pm

I like this Verlander fellow. The Tigers might have something here.

4. Tony de Florida

July 19, 2017 at 9:46 pm

JV pitching a nice game, pitch count very low. Hope the offense can scratch him out a couple more runs.

5. Smoking Loon

July 19, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Alex Avila is coming down to earth, it seems. If there was a window of opportunity for trading him, I think it’s closing.

• Tony de Florida

July 19, 2017 at 10:11 pm

+1 But he’s still OK as a backup catcher. Our real problem is McCann’s inability to hit.

• Smoking Loon

July 19, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Agreed. Avila can stay as long as he likes. The Tigers do have one of the better catching tandems already. McCann, well… he’s a good catcher. Someday he will be the Avila in a duo, I suppose. Or just a good defensive backup.

6. Tony de Florida

July 19, 2017 at 10:03 pm

I’m really sad watching Miggy’s struggles this year. While I think that mentally he’s affected, I also believe physically he’s really hurting and trying to compensate. If I were king of the Tigers, I’d force him on the DL for 10 days and have the best medical people I could find to try to figure it out. I wouldn’t give a crap about bad press, I’d try at least to protect and fix our most valuable asset.

• Smoking Loon

July 19, 2017 at 10:58 pm

I think that opponents have found weaknesses that they will continue to exploit until he adjusts. He’s not adjusting. Even though I ponder the other things just like everyone else and have occasional theories about a remedy, I think the aforementioned is all there is to it. Speculation beyond that just kind of goes in circles.

7. Smoking Loon

July 19, 2017 at 10:29 pm

There goes that improbable rally. Mr. Iglesias does like to chase.

8. Smoking Loon

July 19, 2017 at 10:35 pm

Shoot. Perez owns Verlander. Time for a quick recovery. Stop the bleeding.

9. Tony de Florida

July 19, 2017 at 10:44 pm

JV has pitched another game he deserve to win (or at least a no decision). Come on guys at least get him off the hook!

• Smoking Loon

July 19, 2017 at 11:17 pm

Check out what I was getting ready to say….

The verdict on this one looks like it will be they got outpitched despite good pitching. Oh well.

Now Detroit is 2-25 when they don’t hit a home run.

And I was about to add that I don’t like the way Mahtook is so easily had on pitches up in the strike zone or up out of it. Ha ha ha.

• Tony de Florida

July 19, 2017 at 11:26 pm

It’s OK. Look what is about to happen to my 4-6 prediction for the 10 games. If we hold tonight and win tomorrow, I’m all wet as usual. But, very happy!

• Tony de Florida

July 19, 2017 at 11:35 pm

See what I mean, JWillie blows the save. Snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. That’s why I can not get excited about a pennant race in our division. Only way to the playoffs in the Central is to win it and I still don’t think we can do it.

• Smoking Loon

July 19, 2017 at 11:39 pm

That is the beauty of the negative prediction. When we’re right, we called it. When we’re wrong, we’re happy. Can’t lose.

This was a nice almost come from behind. Back on the horse tomorrow.

10. Tony de Florida

July 19, 2017 at 11:05 pm

Last chance. I’m hoping Casty remembers that Boston released Sandoval and is still auditioning for DD.

11. Tony de Florida

July 19, 2017 at 11:15 pm

Mikie is JD’s replacement!

12. Smoking Loon

July 19, 2017 at 11:31 pm

Way to blow it, F-Rod Wilson. I won’t miss him. He’s not that great.

13. Smoking Loon

July 19, 2017 at 11:49 pm

Speaking of the face chart, I see an unfamiliar guy there all of a sudden, #8 with a bullet.

14. Jud

July 20, 2017 at 12:04 am

Just logged on to look at the box score.. KINS.. Miggy.. AVILA.. VMart.. Casty.. 2/17…typical JV support!….

15. HelpMeMakeitThruThe9th

July 20, 2017 at 1:05 pm

J Ups all or nothing play in left was not a good one…
    Saying that, he has played a pretty good LF this year…
    way better than last year…
    What a disappointing loss…But Brad was very optimistic
    afterwards to I feel better about it…. Maybe Mikie turns
    into another J.D. for the next three years… He certainly
    has been enjoyable to watch this season… All of our 4A
    guys have had a positive contribution for the most part…

16. HelpMeMakeitThruThe9th

July 20, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Where is Aducci in tonights lineup???
    All hell breaking loose in Venezuela…
    Will Miggy touch a ball tonight…
    Another pitchers duel tonight???
    Glad we have Mickie (Mantle) Mahtook..

17. HelpMeMakeitThruThe9th

July 20, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Forgot that Duffy was pitching…Lefty batters out…