Game 2017.84: Giants at Tigers

After yesterday’s game the Tigers took the van into the shop. There was an issue with a gasket or something. A groin maybe? Anyway it will be in the shop for at least 10 days. They got a Blaine Hardy loaner to cover.

Today’s matchup is for the rubber game of the series. Can Anibal do it again? and if so, does that actually make him viable trade bait? I’m sure the Giants are wishing they could trade Johnny for some Cuervo about now: his WHIP is a hefty 1.58 over his last 5 starts.

Today’s Lineup:

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
  2. Alex Avila, 1B
  3. Justin Upton, LF
  4. Miguel Cabrera, DH
  5. JD Martinez, RF
  6. Nick Castellanos, 3B
  7. Alex Presley, CF
  8. James McCann, C
  9. Dixon Machado, SS

Pitching: Anibal Sanchez vs Johnny Cueto

1. Tony de Florida

July 6, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Victor’s 4 for 8 in his last 2 games with 4 RBI’s, that’ll teach him! (Although I suspect it may be out because Miggy’s hurting again.)

2. Jim Eggers

July 6, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Tony de: +1 for the bus ride… was thinking an emotional roller coaster too….. GOOD NEWS! I survived our earthquake but it was a fun ride in the old barca lounger!

• Smoking Loon

July 6, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Thanks for the news, Jim. Had no idea (but now I do). You felt the quake that much in Washington?

3. Coleman

July 6, 2017 at 1:21 pm

Johnny Cuervo a last minute scratch. Unluckily, that means we get First Major League Start Guy.

4. Coleman

July 6, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Big day for the Toledo Tigers!

5. Coleman

July 6, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Cy Sanchez. Hmm.

6. Tony de Florida

July 6, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Another nice start for Sanchez, let’s get him the win this time!

• Coleman

July 6, 2017 at 3:43 pm

Anibal has had 7 consecutive starts without a decision, that’s hard to do.

7. Jud

July 6, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Sanchez good again.. Is It bad that am kind of expecting that now.. Something must be seriously wrong with Cueto to miss the Tigers. Usually pitchers try and move up to get them…If A win today, it reverses the trend of losing to every 0 or 1 win pitcher…

8. Coleman

July 6, 2017 at 3:46 pm

McCann ended the 3rd inning on deck, so Brad Ausmus went out to warm up Anibal for the 4th. Can’t think of the last time I saw a manager do that. And Romine was warming up Wilson in the bullpen, then came out to play 3rd.

• Coleman

July 6, 2017 at 3:55 pm

The Tigers had both catchers and the emergency backup catcher in the game at the same time, you don’ see that too often.

• Smoking Loon

July 6, 2017 at 10:32 pm

There’s always Victor, eh? But if something had happened to McCann, I suppose Avila could have moved to C, Romine to 1B, Machado to 3B, and Iglesias come in at SS. Then if Avila got hurt on the next play… Romine is the emergence backup catcher? I forget. Romine at C, Victor to 1B. Then if Romine gets hurt on the next play, I suppose Victor catches. Right?

• Tony de Florida

July 7, 2017 at 12:18 pm

If we have to play Victor in the field, forfeit might be an option.

• Jud

July 7, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Victor can play a little 1st..its not that far to walk over to the bag on a groundball! Plus if he makes the 3rd oubatting he can just wait right there…

9. Tony de Florida

July 6, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Snappy 9 pitch inning for JWillie, game over! Sanchez back on A list.

10. HelpMeMakeitThruThe9th

July 7, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Happy for Sanchez… Goes to Mudsville and
    comes back as his ole self…What a bizarro
    team …. Like a crack addict ….Can’t stop
    watching… Methadone needed…

• Tony de Florida

July 7, 2017 at 12:13 pm

I’m with you! I give Sanchez tons of credit for accepting the trip to Toledo and working on his problem rather than bitch like F-Rod did. I hope he has a continuing great career (even if not with us). Meanwhile I have to go get ready for my 7PM fix.