Game 2017.63: Diamondbacks at Tigers

I’m excited to see how Buck Farmer does tonight, so I’m going with the lucky pun game post photo again.

Today’s Lineup:

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
  2. Alex Avila, C
  3. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
  4. Victor Martinez, DH
  5. JD Martinez, RF
  6. Justin Upton, LF
  7. Nick Castellanos, 3B
  8. Alex Presley, CF
  9. Jose Iglesias, SS

Pitching: Buck Farmer vs Zack Greinke

1. Tony de Florida

June 13, 2017 at 7:14 pm

Before we get back to the heat of either a pennant race or a dismal season (both are possible so far), I’d like to go on one of my rants. Wait, don’t click off yet!

Before we get too involved, I do want to say how much I enjoy this blog. It’s a place where we can vent, give our opinions and occasionally (as I have proved perhaps too many times) make jackasses of ourselves. Because of my age and physical condition I don’t have a lot of mobility and the blog gives me a chance to have a conversation with folks who I have never met. StorminNorman$, Grandpa Jud, Ole Miss, Jim (Marine with a crush), Smokin Loon and many others, like they were old friends. While we may not always agree, we all want the best for our Tigers.

But none of this is possible without Coleman who every day posts the lineups and keeps it going. I know I could not keep up with that much for an entire season including spring training and post season.

So my thanks to all you guys that keep this going, but especially Coleman, you make the Tiger season much more entertaining and meaningful.

• Coleman

June 13, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Thank You, Kind Sir!

• Smoking Loon

June 13, 2017 at 8:04 pm

We like you, too, Tony.

• StorminNorman$

June 14, 2017 at 4:34 pm

well stated Tony… I always look forward to your insight

…and yes, thanks to Coleman and Kevin for making it possible

2. HelpMeMakeitThruThe9th

June 13, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Tigers flashing some leather early…Good luck Buck..
    You are going to need it bro…
    Tigers 1st rounder from U. of FL pitched well in a
    closer’s role today to get his team to the World Series.

3. Coleman

June 13, 2017 at 7:59 pm

One would have to say, this is not starting well.

• Smoking Loon

June 13, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Dispiriting. But hey, we get another look at Mr. Bell and/or Mr. Saupold.

4. Smoking Loon

June 13, 2017 at 8:18 pm

Down 6-0 to Greinke. That’s pretty grim.

5. Tony de Florida

June 13, 2017 at 9:22 pm

Looks better now, except we still have to get by the ball pen (ours, not theirs),

6. Coleman

June 13, 2017 at 9:23 pm

JD, redeeming the Martinez name. This offense will be sad without him.

7. Tony de Florida

June 13, 2017 at 9:40 pm

OK Bell did a great job but based how he finished his last inning, he should have never started the 7th.

8. Tony de Florida

June 13, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Frankie, you must be joking!

9. Tony de Florida

June 13, 2017 at 9:46 pm

I happily will eat my words. Very nice job by F-Rod!

10. Tony de Florida

June 13, 2017 at 9:52 pm

That wild prediction Loon made is starting to look better.

11. Smoking Loon

June 13, 2017 at 11:17 pm

I’m impressed that the Tigers made a game of it.

12. jud

June 13, 2017 at 11:27 pm

I didnt watch..Grienke has owned the Tigers for years..but I didnt expect 7-6..Loon commented Tigers made a game of it..I said that a lot in 2009..and we will say that a lot if the sell sell sell goes thru……

• Tony de Florida

June 13, 2017 at 11:49 pm

Frankly, I would have preferred a 10 run 1st and a 10-7 win but coming back from 6 runs did make the game more enjoyable until our pen took over in the late innings.

• Smoking Loon

June 14, 2017 at 12:07 am

I went away early down 6-0, and when I came back it was 6-6! I was stunned. Then the bullpen kept dodging bullets and the bats had some chances. But the loss was no surprise and no real heartbreak. My optimism is gone. Somehow there just isn’t enough gas in the tank with this team. Can’t point a finger at anyone in particular, can’t fault the various moves made over the course of the season.

Guess I’ll concentrate on Miggy Watch. I think he’s coming around, I really do.

13. Jim Eggers

June 14, 2017 at 3:28 am

Some days it is all I can do to just read the blog, knowing the score and having glanced at the box score. I see the ebb and flow of the game from the comments and it is a pleasure. I think Tony hit the nail on the head, it’s a great group of young (or not so) men who keep this going. But, I must correct Tony on a minor point. It is not a Crush, it’s real and it is spectacular!

14. HelpMeMakeitThruThe9th

June 14, 2017 at 10:43 am

Article about Frankie being a little beech…
    Complaining about his role and throwing the
    coaches under the bus…Has he had this tendency
    during his career to be a jackwagon?
    Not what you want from any player on the team let
    alone a veteran on a team that gave him a chance
    when no one else wanted him…Article at the Bless you Boys site…

• Smoking Loon

June 14, 2017 at 8:55 pm

That was my first reaction to his comments. Then I saw it in a more positive light.

15. HelpMeMakeitThruThe9th

June 14, 2017 at 12:49 pm

I would send FRod packing…Can’t be tolerated…

• StorminNorman$

June 14, 2017 at 4:11 pm

here is the referenced article re: KRod complaining… and I agree “HelpMe…”, either a) waive him or b) show him his stat sheet for the year, sit him down and explain in no uncertain terms that he’s not been pitching much because he’s been awful, and he’ll pitch when and if the Mgr wants him to pitch – and if he doesn’t improve dramatically, the team will DFA him and provide him with an opportunity to pitch all he wants…but for some other team (if anyone else would even have him)

As I’ve stated before, based on his performance this year, he’s lucky to be on a MLB roster

• Tony de Florida

June 14, 2017 at 4:32 pm

+1 But Norman doesn’t this highlight a fundamental problem with the Tiger’s management? There doesn’t seem to be any discipline at all. Whether we talk about lackadaisical play, not running out ground balls, running a stop sign at 3rd base, or more recently smacking your most expensive player in the face with your helmet because you were lifted for a pinch runner. All are leadership issues.

16. StorminNorman$

June 14, 2017 at 6:18 pm

I agree Tony on all your points… and I suspect Ausmus wants to be a players’ manager, and typically that management style works well if: a) you have good player leadership to keep the team “in line” and focused, and b) you’re winning