Game 2015.89: Orioles at Tigers

Well, the All Star break has come and gone, and the Tigers unfortunately find themselves in limbo, as they are not so far out of the race that it’s apparent to everyone that they need to sell, but this team simply isn’t going to compete with Kansas City, or much of the other elite AL teams for that matter. There’s a lot of talk about the next 10 days being crucial, and if they win 10 straight I might get excited. But let’s all be honest here.

Krauss on paternity leave, Dixon Machado up for a 2nd stint.

Tonight’s Lineup (career numbers v. Ubaldo Jimenez)

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B (4-for-17, 3 doubles, 3 walks, 3 K’s)
  2. Yoenis Cespedes, LF (3-for-7, HR, 2 walks, K)
  3. Victor Martinez, DH (8-for-24, double, 3 HR, walk, 4 K’s)
  4. J.D. Martinez, RF (0-for-4, walk, K)
  5. Nick Castellanos, 3B (0-for-2, K)
  6. Alex Avila, 1B (5-for-23, double, HR, 8 walks, 8 K’s)
  7. James McCann, C
  8. Jose Iglesias, SS
  9. Anthony Gose, CF (0-for-3, walk, K)

1. Coleman

July 17, 2015 at 6:44 pm

The next two weeks should be interesting. After that, perhaps not as much.

2. Jud

July 17, 2015 at 7:07 pm

The Great push to buying or selling!…despite the bullpen problems …..if Sanchez, JV, Greene,Simon do not join Price in pitching well….nothing else will matter!

3. Jud

July 17, 2015 at 7:11 pm

In the few times the Tigers have had any luck against Jiminez..they stay off his crap. He throws very few strikes in a game..every game!!!..if its swing swing swing he well handle them….easily…

4. Jud

July 17, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Tigers manufacture a run…rare occurance..HBatter..steal..key hit !!!

Ausmus +1 in case he had anything to do with it….

5. Kaline fan

July 17, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Beautiful rob of Davis by JD!

6. Kaline fan

July 17, 2015 at 8:32 pm

(M)Iggy!

7. jud

July 17, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Iggy…atta babyyyy!

8. Kaline fan

July 17, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Great to see JD keeping his 1st half momentum. Good D, good O!
    He must be tied for A.L. HR lead now?

9. Kaline fan

July 17, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Kinsler doesn’t make too many of those E’s at 2nd. After bad hop, had to rush his throw, and almost got the force anyway.
    Luckily, Tigers got out of inn w/o serious damage.

10. jud

July 17, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Castellanos lack of range at 3b …is almost scary.

• Kaline fan

July 17, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Agree. Does he stop ANYthing??
      And replacement Romine snags one that probably would have skipped by Nick.

• Coleman

July 17, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Watch some replays, balls at 3rd and especially tag plays. He is afraid of the ball and afraid of runners.

• jud

July 17, 2015 at 10:55 pm

Watch that play he dives on which is right at him basically..then Cespedes wants to throw at the runner heading towards third and Casty is nowhere near the bag….

• Coleman

July 18, 2015 at 12:17 am

He’s that kid in little league who’s hoping they don’t hit it to him.

• jud

July 18, 2015 at 12:39 am

I have never seen a major league player dive as much as he does and never even come close to getting the ball in his glove.

• Kaline fan

July 18, 2015 at 3:25 am

I was thinking the same thing tonite. And that perfect throw from Cespedes had the runner coming into 3rd dead-to-rights, except that Nick was out of position. That was horrible! Afraid of runners? I don’t know, but sure looked bad.
                I start to wonder why this guy was touted so highly….

11. Kaline fan

July 17, 2015 at 10:06 pm

With my team up by 4 in the 9th, and our closer on the mound, why do I find myself clutching the edge of my seat on every pitch? It’s weird….
    Anyway, good start tonite.

12. jud

July 17, 2015 at 11:15 pm

I took my +1 away from Ausmus tonight for pitching Soria at all tonight. I don’t care if he’s “rusty” Brad!..

• Kaline fan

July 18, 2015 at 3:20 am

Yeah, all this “one-guy closer” BS has always been a bit lame to me; I don’t really buy into it. If you’ve got a reliever who you know is good for say, 25-30 pitches every outing, and he gets a 1-2-3 8th on 12 tosses, then he’s my man to close out the 9th (game).
      Feliz looked smooth tonite, confident, Why not stick with him for 3 more outs, or at least until he shows some sign of faltering?