Game 2014.82: Tigers 8, Rays 1

82pic

81-84

AL82

Erik Bedard vs. Max Scherzer tonight.

Game preview

Detroit Tigers on BBREF or MLB

Tampa Bay Rays on BBREF or MLB

Team comparison: The Rays are stronger in the OF, at 3B, and in the bullpen, but are otherwise overmatched.

DETROIT HITTING RE24/WPAPITCHING RE24/WPA

DETROIT RECENT HITTINGRECENT PITCHING

TAMPA BAY HITTING RE24/WPAPITCHING RE24/WPA

TAMPA BAY RECENT HITTINGRECENT PITCHING

TONIGHT’S LINEUPS: Victor is back.

82lineups

NOTABLE (PREGAME): The Tigers just swept the best team in the AL to finish the first half on one of the season’s highest notes… The emergence of one and the decline of two have combined to yield a fluid situation in the outfield that may yet turn a weakness into a strength… Detroit is rumored to have trade interest in Joaquin Benoit. Given his contract, I find this hard to believe… Ian Krol has been cleared for rehab assignment and is expected to rejoin the team within a week or so.

POSTGAME

82Top5

* Stats, facts, graphics, and assorted coolness courtesy of http://www.baseball-reference.com and http://mlb.mlb.com

1. TIGERS RULE

July 3, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Nice pregame write-up Loon, you have out done yourself.
    What will the next 81 games bring?

• Smoking Loon

July 3, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Thanks. Not sure if you’re kidding or not, but I think I deserve to be kidded. I’m having trouble formatting this the way I want, and I don’t even know if the links work. Work in progress. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

2. Mark

July 3, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I like this start… If they keep this up they will score about 35 runs tonight.

3. jud

July 3, 2014 at 7:37 pm

How would you like to have tickets for this game and happen to walk in a little late…5-1….WHAT!!!!!

4. jud

July 3, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Money means nothing…just more pizza…Sign Benoit, or trade for him. Great clubhouse guy, has done the job asked of him in Detroit. Pay him!!!!

• PHToy in HK

July 3, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Just say no to Long Ball!

• Smoking Loon

July 3, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I agree with the no.

5. Coleman

July 3, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Already 7 Tigers with hits. Rays right now are a AAA team + David Price. How’d that happen?!

6. Coleman

July 3, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Ausmus pulling out all the stops with the ol’ fake Don Kelly pinch-hit trick.

• Smoking Loon

July 3, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Yeah, still wondering what that was about.

• Coleman

July 3, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Someone suggested Castellanos went to the bathroom and was late returning. Makes as much sense as anything. I mean, that must have happened before, right?

• Coleman

July 3, 2014 at 9:41 pm

I think they should at least put Kelly in for defense in the 9th, after getting all ready to bat and all. I mean, why not?

7. StorminNorman$

July 3, 2014 at 9:18 pm

…I could get used to this…

• Smoking Loon

July 3, 2014 at 9:19 pm

You and me both.

8. Coleman

July 3, 2014 at 9:24 pm

8 Tigers with hits, 6 Tigers with multiple hits.

9. StorminNorman$

July 3, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I think Hanigan’s 11 pitch AB just took Scherzer out of a possible CG scenario

• Coleman

July 3, 2014 at 9:38 pm

It looks like Max is really lobbying, unsuccessfully.

• StorminNorman$

July 3, 2014 at 9:39 pm

but another great/efficient outing by Scherzer.

when DET starting pitching and offense play at or near their potential, they are a force

• StorminNorman$

July 3, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Scherzer’s line: 8.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO. Retired the last 13 batters and 23 of the last 24 batters he faced.

10. jud

July 3, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Good to see each of the starting pitchers returning to somewhat normal…Strange how that changed in May and now changed back….Baseball is a strange game!

• Jim EggersUSMC

July 3, 2014 at 10:36 pm

The strange is what makes it fun! Have a happy and safe 4th of July! What’s her name and her love slave are just chillin!

11. Coleman

July 3, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Ha! so that really WAS the explanation: the #7 guy was hitting #2:

Tom Gage tweet: not many decisions for #Tigers Ausmus in 8-1 win – “the only thing I really had to do was put Kelly on deck while Nick was in the bathroom.”

• Jim EggersUSMC

July 4, 2014 at 1:58 am

I must be getting slow in my old age; had to read that one several times before I got it! well played sir!

• Coleman

July 4, 2014 at 2:01 am

I’m just getting old in my old age.

• Coleman

July 4, 2014 at 2:05 am

If you read between the lines, Ausmus was unhappy about the whole thing. He didn’t have to mention it at all, but he chose to throw Nick under the bus–or the stall, if you will. I actually cringed when I read that. Nick is going to take a lot of…um, grief…for that one.

• Smoking Loon

July 4, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Well, clearly, Brad is just upset that he didn’t pinch #hit Kelly for Castellanos in the first place.

Hey, maybe this is where the “pinch” in pinch hit comes from. Way back in 1894 or whenever, when lineup substitutions were unheard of and not allowed (these were the days of the 9-inning save), it was discovered that certain emergencies called for substitute hitters, and so…

12. Vince in MN

July 4, 2014 at 2:30 am

It boggles the mind that this is the same team that was so bad for a 30 game stretch. It’s almost inconcievable that they all could go into a slump simultaneously, but I guess that is what happened. Hopefully they worked out all the kinks now, although the jury is still out on Nathan.