Game 2014.36: Tigers 7, Orioles 5

Early day game, Verlander vs. Gausman, highly recommended. Don’t bring brooms; 9 bats will do.  AL Standings Enjoy it while it lasts… all season.

We seem to be coming to life here lately. A little more chatter, a few more voices. I like it. You know, if you guys ever look at the, um, “stuff” I write and think to yourselves, “I could do that,” well, you’re right. I’m not sayin’. I’m just sayin’. For instance:

Only Tiger Fan in Mississippi May 13, 2014 at 3:45 pm

A good stint in the show for Ray that will motivate him even more while he is in Toledo fine tuning his game to become genuine and tested starter. Small but important steps first.

BTW, I am getting excited about this coming weekend series with the Red Sox. Looks like Little Ricky gets the start for the Sunday ESPN game. Another chance for him to make a statement to the national audience. I also look forward to seeing V-Mart bounce a couple off the left center field wall and Davis running on A.J.

Vince in MN May 13, 2014 at 4:00 pm [edit]

Duane Below pitched a nice game yesterday as Toledo swept 4 from Rochester (the starting pitching was good in all 4 games). It looks like his control has come back, and if all continues to go well maybe he makes the most sense as LH relief help when Coke is replaced. Unfortunately, he isn’t on the 40-man, so a promotion would likely ONLY come in the event of a DFA for Coke, although there are a couple of position players they could consider removing. In fact, none of our minor league relievers who are on the 40-man are doing particularly well, so it looks like whatever fixes are in the works (other than waiting for Hanrahan and Putkonen to heal) for the Tigers current bullpen woes, some kind of roster jiggling is will be needed.

StorminNorman$ May 13, 2014 at 1:21 pm [edit]

some interesting stats cited on Porcello, Cabrera & VMart

1. Only Tiger Fan in Mississippi

May 14, 2014 at 9:56 am

Yes, bring the bats…Last night Rod said the Tigers lead AL in batting and are almost 25 points over the AL average http://www.baseball-reference......rd_batting::17

2. Coleman

May 14, 2014 at 10:43 am

Today’s Sunday Lineup on a Wednesday:
    1. Davis LF
    2. Kinsler 2B
    3. Cabrera 1B
    4. V Martinez DH
    5. JD Martinez RF
    6. Jackson CF
    7. Kelly 3B
    8. Holaday C
    9. Worth SS

Is it just me, or is there less of a difference this season between the B team lineup and the A team lineup than in years past?

May 15, 2014 at 7:51 pm

First we’d have to settle the question of what A and B lineups are. The 2014 Tigers have used 24 lineups in 36 games, none more than 7 times. I don’t think that’s unusual for MLB, and it seems that Jim Leyland had many different lineups happening most seasons, which I recall there being some negative reaction to from time to time.

The 1984 Tigers had 93 different lineups, none for more than 9 games.

3. Coleman

May 14, 2014 at 10:48 am

According to ESPN’s Home Run Tracker, Cabrera’s shot was 401 ft, and the V-Mart shot was…unmeasurable. Anyway the last Tiger to clear the stadium in Baltimore was Mickey Tettleton in 1992.

• Only Tiger Fan in Mississippi

May 14, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Last night during the game on Fox Detroit they showed a small metal marker that identified the spot where Tettleton’s homer bounced. Maybe they need to put a marker in the Orioles dugout that shows how high Buck Showalters’ blood pressure soared in the ninth inning? (Poor guy whom I like!)

May 15, 2014 at 1:34 am

Eutaw Street. Huh. Sounded like Utah.

4. StorminNorman$

May 14, 2014 at 11:21 am

BAL pitching a AAA call-up (Gausman)…so it’s anybody’s guess as to how DET hitters will greet him on a getaway-day

5. Coleman

May 14, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Singles, walks, steals, bunts…who are these Tigers? Nice to see the B.O.O.B.s contributing.

• Coleman

May 14, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Add a sac fly to the list.

• Kevin in Dallas

May 14, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Most in the AL.

6. jud

May 14, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Funny the Holaday playing one day a week gets more done than Avila playing 5 days a week

May 15, 2014 at 1:41 am

Avila leads the league in runners caught stealing.

May 15, 2014 at 1:42 am

Avila started both vital rallies in the first two games of the O’s series.

May 15, 2014 at 1:45 am

Plus, he got his dad a job with the team. He’s just an all-around good citizen.

7. jud

May 14, 2014 at 1:58 pm

This ability to score once in awhile with the 3 run homer but more often manufacturing runs various ways is GREAT!…and way more fun!

8. Coleman

May 14, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Maybe that was a mistake, Verlander throwing at Cruz last inning…

9. StorminNorman$

May 14, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Ron Burgundy: Boy, that escalated quickly… I mean, that really got out of hand fast.

10. Coleman

May 14, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Thanks Raj, we needed that.

11. jud

May 14, 2014 at 2:52 pm

We finally get JV some runs and……never mind!

12. jud

May 14, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Hey Joba..how about we start facing the minimum instead of the maximum!

13. jud

May 14, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Wow! Who woulda thunk it!!..lets head to Boston boys!!!

14. Vince in MN

May 14, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I had to work today and missed the game, which must have been unnecessarily exciting from the looks of the box score. Just a few observations/questions, so help me out here.
    1. Did Ausmus stick with JV too long or was it just one bad inning – 6 hits and 3 BBs make me think he didn’t have his best today.
    2. How about more starts for both Holaday and Worth and more days off for Castellanos while we are at it.
    3. Is AAAA J-Mart reaching he end of his rope? Collins heating up in Toledo .306/.342/.583/.912 last ten games. 5-6 looking like a black hole with…
    4. Jackson in one of his regular slumps, or his he just unlucky lately.
    5. Nice job by the bullpen with the exception of Joba who lately is pitching like he did when he was with the Yankees.
    6. 7 runs with only 1 XBH. 5 for 9 RISP, 3 SB no CS – impressive.

May 15, 2014 at 1:32 am

It was unnecessarily exciting. It will soon be forgotten, though, hidden by the scores, what a tense series this was, every game much closer than scores indicate.

JV didn’t have his best. I’m starting to wonder if he ever has his best. But it was just one really bad inning – the 5th was surreal – and Ausmus doesn’t factor into it. The pitch behind Cruz was a weird incident that made the rest of the game feel weird, and not in a good way. You could feel the pendulum going the other way at that moment.

More starts for everyone!

J-Mart is unimpressive. AAAA power, apparently. I’d love to see Collins again, but later.

Jackson might be hitting OK, but it’s clear that he is not battling well, and yes he is in a slump.

Joba might want to try doing the opposite of everything his instincts are telling him. He’s Coke-ing me out. Meanwhile, I’ve begun work on a shrine to Alburquerque here at home.

No groans about the Sunday Lineup today. Hmmm. No complaints about the V-Mart delayed steal, either. Hmmm.

• Vince in MN

May 15, 2014 at 8:40 am

Thanks.

May 15, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I meant to say that Jackson might be hitting OK, but that he’s not BATTING well. Not “battling.” He’s battling just fine. I guess that’s the problem.

15. jud

May 14, 2014 at 5:35 pm

JV was doing fine…he got in one of his fastball crazy moods but only at 90-91 mph and got tagged. Except for Cruz who hit a breaking ball off his shoe tops for a 3 run jack. Otherwise he was ok…

Say maybe the new A lineup has Worth and Holaday in it…..too bad their great game today will get them put back on the bench tomorrow…right Smokey???

16. Only Tiger Fan in Mississippi

May 14, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Tigers have the lowest number of runners LOB in the AL.

May 15, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Good news/bad news, maybe, just slightly. The OBP is on the low side on account of few BB. I think the extra bases being taken in various ways (double steal well executed yesterday, woohoo!) are contributing strongly to runners getting in to score. On the other hand (you saw it coming)… Tigers are getting erased from the bases from time to time as well, to our and their chagrin, so that knocks down the LOB as well.

17. Jim EggersUSMC

May 14, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Research : What have you got on M. Hessman? :Leading the IL in Home runs… 4A HRs or is he for real??

May 15, 2014 at 1:16 am

Jim, Hessman is a AAA legend, but he can’t help the Tigers now or later. The exchange of anyone – anyone – on the 25-man for Hessman would be a clear loss. The Tigers strike out less than any other team. Let’s keep it that way.

• Vince in MN

May 15, 2014 at 8:49 am

Absolutely. Hessman has had his cup of coffee and now has found his niche. Besides, Toledoans need a reason to go to the ballpark too. No roster changes, with the exception of Phil Coke, while the team is winning; wait for the next crisis – one will come.

• Jim EggersUSMC

May 15, 2014 at 1:22 pm

That’s what I figured.. M’s had a guy like that… Carlos Peguero… believe he went to Japan..

Hey! Did you guys see Floyd get fired up and tossed yesterday?

• Jim EggersUSMC

May 15, 2014 at 1:33 pm

OOOPS! Carlos is alive and well, toiling in Omaha… I always get that city and Osaka confused… Research, then post, genius!

• Jim EggersUSMC

May 15, 2014 at 3:11 pm

I am officially bored! waiting for a buddy to come by and fix the neighbor’s fence, after another neighbor crashed his car into it! What a night! I have determined that when I attend the Tigers vs. M’s game on May 30th, I will see Max vs. Iwakuma, an excellent match up. I will take my laptop and have a post-game post at some point that evening/early am as I party my way around the greater Seattle area.

• Coleman

May 15, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Nothing worse than an off day during a winning streak.

May 15, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Au contraire, mein froind. I consider it a day of rest myself. I’ve watched 31 games and listened to 5 others. Also… well, I won’t mention the GPL standings. Don’t want to jinx myself.

May 15, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Jim, you should write a game article that day, We could post it up top and you would be world-famous. Or more world-famous.

Osaka, Omaha, I can see that. Actually, there might be a subliminal connection. Wasn’t one of the ships bombed at Pearl Harbor….?

May 15, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Speaking of Toledo, I wish I had time to watch more of their games. Minor league baseball on TV is kinda cool. It’s like the reality TV of baseball. Well, I mean, with coolness that the former lacks.

18. Jim EggersUSMC

May 16, 2014 at 12:58 am

Smokin’- 3 things: 1) I don’t want to mess with the trio of outstanding posters we have now,b) I will be at the Tacoma Salt Lake City game Thursday night the 29th… grew up on AAA ball, and it is still my favorite…. waiting right now for a game to end on CBS sports network between Isotopes and Grizzlies ( SF v. LA Farms), 3c) I have been to Osaka, but not Omaha, go figure…

19. crafts

May 16, 2014 at 2:28 am

Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this website. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very hard to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and visual appeal. I must say you have done a very good job with this. Additionally, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Internet explorer. Outstanding Blog!

20. Pingback: here

21. rapid Fire xbox 360 controller tutorial

May 27, 2014 at 5:48 am

I for all time emailed this web site post page to all my friends, because
    if like to read it after that my friends will too.

22. video

June 1, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Very good blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m
    a little lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform like
    Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there
    that I’m completely confused .. Any ideas? Kudos!

23. Article

June 2, 2014 at 11:33 am

gps tracker iphone

24. gamerdna.com

June 6, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Anyone that bets against America is not qualified being President with the United States of America.
    The game also has a web-based option where users can compete inside their own cars, equal cars,
    bet with a race or compete in the ‘Pro League’.

Dog’s Playing Poker has far more personality in both the way the characters look and how they
    play. A native’s expenses can be calculated in the 12th house of horoscope.

If you discover a legitimate one, the handicappers who work there is going to be experts who understand not only the teams, but in addition the complicated mathematics behind sports
    gambling. If you put the work in, you will probably find some edges betting props.

25. www.vinfriends.com