Game 2013.81: Tigers at Blue Jays

by Smoking Loon on June 30, 2013 · 31 comments

in 2013 Season,Game Post

Post image for Game 2013.81: Tigers at Blue Jays

43-37, 1st place tie with Cleveland.

The Detroit Tigers first went to 6 games over .500 on May 3 with a dramatic win over the Houston Astros. And here we are at 6 games over .500 again. Hmmm. Quite a few teams would be happy to say that. Hmmm. Tigers. Aren’t they that team with Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder and Justin Verlander? Hmmm.

A Monday day game seems a bit odd, but that’s what they’re doing in Toronto today. For that reason I won’t be able to post the starting lineup. Sorry.

{ 31 comments }

Vince in MN July 1, 2013 at 7:57 am

Why the Sanchez picture if Alvarez is pitching?

Coleman July 1, 2013 at 10:12 am

Wishful thinking?

Smoking Loon July 2, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Vince:

A. Laziness.
B. It’s really Sanchez’s slot. I’m keeping it warm.
C. Superstition.

Mostly laziness.

Smoking Loon July 2, 2013 at 6:51 pm

And also wishful thinking.

Coleman July 1, 2013 at 10:16 am

Today’s Knuckleheaded Starting Lineup:
1. Jackson CF
2. Hunter RF
3. Cabrera 3B
4. Fielder 1B
5. Martinez DH
6. Peralta SS
7. Infante 2B
8. Dirks LF
9. Pena C
You’ll notice that Infante has been bumped up another spot in the lineup, with Dirks dropped back to 8th.

Coleman July 1, 2013 at 11:11 am

Ah, Infante 12-for-25 against Dickey. I’d have moved him all the way down to 5th.

ken ervin July 1, 2013 at 10:48 am

If it were not for Houston, what would the Tigers record be?

ken ervin July 1, 2013 at 10:48 am

If it were not for Houston, what would the Tigers record be?

Coleman July 1, 2013 at 11:10 am

We’d only be 38-36. By the way, we had 6 games against Houston this season; Cleveland gets 7 (and still has 4 left).

Jerry the Tiger Fan July 1, 2013 at 2:16 pm

We had 7 too. We went 6-1 versus the ‘Stros. Swept them in 4 in HOU, then took 2 of 3 in DET. Of course I attended the only game that we lost to HOU this year. Doubt that CLE does any better than 6-1 versus HOU. They aren’t as bad as they started. They will win at least 60 this year after many thought they would struggle to win 50 back in mid-May when they were really struggling. We played HOU at the right time this year, that is for sure.

Coleman July 1, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I must have blocked out the one we lost.

TIGERS RULE July 1, 2013 at 1:35 pm

A free swinging team like ours is going to have a very tough time with Dickey. This is not the time for us to have to deal with a pitcher like him, especially with our bats being in hibernation recently.

Coleman July 1, 2013 at 2:20 pm

They should all watch Infante, he makes it look easy.

Jerry the Tiger Fan July 1, 2013 at 1:54 pm

This team is unwatchable since the BOS series ended. I think I need to take some time away from watching the Tigers for awhile. My blood pressure and frustration level is thru the roof with these guys. Another chance to score runs in the 3rd goes a glimmering. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I keep expecting different (read: better) results with this lineup and so I think I may be going insane.

JimEggersUSMC July 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I am with you, I was excited to be able to watch them play live on the big TV, but I think I will go mow the lawn before the temp hits 100 here today.

mcb July 1, 2013 at 2:07 pm

The difference in the AL central will be Francona. Jim Leyland has lost the ability to motivate this team.

JimEggersUSMC July 1, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I read Tito’s book this winter and realized he really knows how to manage and his wins in Boston were not the flukes /career years I had thought they were. You are right, this Tigers team is sleepwalking and is flat as a pancake. Now I really am going out to the yard and do some yard work, you know like Reyes did.

TIGERS RULE July 1, 2013 at 2:33 pm

This game is absolute torture for me in more ways than one …… because I live in Toronto!

Kevin in Dallas July 1, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Baseball certainly is a talking sport.

The malaise has settled in over me as well. But DTW gives me good reason to stay tuned in every night.

We’ll get through this. The 7-9th inning thing is just a freak circumstance that will correct itself. I mean, it has to. Right? Please?

Coleman July 1, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Leyland, aware that Infante kills Dickey (+1), takes the bold move of moving him from 8th in the order down to 7th (I think that’s what people mean by “meh”).

Coleman July 1, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Infante so far: 2 singles and a double, left on base 3 times.

Coleman July 1, 2013 at 3:35 pm

At least Omar showed up today. I say bat him 5th tomorrow.

Kevin in Dallas July 1, 2013 at 3:48 pm

2nd place.

Coleman July 1, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Joe Maddon on Miguel Cabrera: “I just wish he wouldn’t cry so much.”

Vince in MN July 1, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Leyland on Today’s game:

“It is what it is,” Leyland said. “We’re in a little funk right now. We gotta get ourselves out of it. You gotta roll with that punch and try to do something about it. Hey, we play again tomorrow. We got a good pitcher. They’ve got a good pitcher. We’ll see. Hopefully we’ll break out and score some runs.”

Brenden July 1, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Looks like the Alvarez experiment is over. Hopefully Sanchez is ready to come back?

Vince in MN July 1, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I think Alvarez has some upside, but he is young and is probably a year or so away. He’ll be a good trade chip at the deadline when DD can use him to pick up an over-priced rental to get us into the playoffs.

StorminNorman$ July 1, 2013 at 10:58 pm

the solution to all DET’s offensive struggles of late…
The Freep is reporting “Tigers bringing Alex Avila back up from Toledo”
;)

Vince in MN July 2, 2013 at 3:34 am

Avila is to the Tigers offense as yeast is to beer. Let the fermentation begin

Or something.

Coleman July 2, 2013 at 11:00 am

The Tiger offense is “a cold one.”

Kevin in Dallas July 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Porcello suspended for 6 games for throwing at Zobrist.

Considering Maddon’s comments, that TB took the series, and Porcello’s suspension, I’m pretty sure that Rodney is dominating Cabrera right now in this little playground battle. Dominating.

And this infuriates me. Man these guys need to win a game.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site