Game 2013.25: Twins at Tigers

One pitch, one hit, one Prince, and the Tigers are 14-10 and atop the division by a half game over the Royals going into this game. They’ve won 4 straight for the second time this season. Now it’s Verlander vs. Worley, also for the second time this year, and this time it’s in Detroit.  In complete game weather, if you catch my drift. Though there is that JV right thumb blister to worry about.

Quote of the day: ”Our bullpen is still complicated,” Leyland said. “It’s a whole lot less complicated because [closer Jose] Valverde is back at the end. That makes it less complicated. However, we have a lot of one-inning guys. That makes a big difference. I’m looking at that.”

I’m guessing that it’s just about time to get Ramon Santiago a bit of playing time and some at bats. He hasn’t had a plate appearance since April 20 against the Angels. I say he gets the start at SS tonight. Correct me if I’m wrong.

POST-GAME: Tigers 6, Twins 1. A smooth win on the surface, seemingly all Tigers, but I know Detroit’s bullpen makes you as nervous as it does me, even with a 5-run lead. Or a 10-run lead.

Game-changer and game-winner: Tigers 5th. Although Detroit had just made it 4-1, Jackson getting thrown out at 3B entirely unnecessarily in the middle of a rally is the sort of thing that a game can turn on. Fortunately, Cabrera safe on the fielder’s choice preserved a man on, and the next Fielder’s choice was lined into the RF seats for 2 runs and the nail in the coffin.

PLAYER OF THE GAME: Justin Verlander, Prince Fielder

HONORABLE MENTION: Victor Martinez, Miguel Cabrera, Andy Dirks

NOT SO GOOD: Vance Worley

Posted by on April 29, 2013.

Categories: 2013 Season, Game Post

1. The saga continues:

by Vince in MN on Apr 30, 2013 at 9:39 am

2. Effectively dealt for “cash considerations”:

In other words Casper Wells was handed off from one jet to another while a suitcase of money changed hands.

by The Strategy Expert on Apr 30, 2013 at 12:18 pm

3. Josh Hamilton = Jason Kubel = Delmon Young

by Kevin in Dallas on Apr 30, 2013 at 3:05 pm

4. Tonight’s No-Ramon Lineup:
    1 Jackson, CF
    2 Hunter, RF
    3 Cabrera, 3B
    4 Fielder, 1B
    5 Martinez, DH
    6 Dirks, LF
    7 Peralta, SS
    8 Avila, C
    9 Infante, 2B

by Coleman on Apr 30, 2013 at 3:12 pm

5. Wow, that’s a surprise. Verlander is pitching and there are no bench guys in the lineup. That hasn’t happened since the opener.

by Vince in MN on Apr 30, 2013 at 4:11 pm

6. This is the lineup Smokey should be rolling out every game …… until someone proves that they need to be sat out. As far as I’m concerned ….. with all the off days so far this month ….. there is no reason to sit any of the regulars yet. You field the best lineup you can ….. to give you the best chance to win the game.

by TIGERS RULE on Apr 30, 2013 at 5:19 pm

7. I tend to agree. I can’t see fatigue as a factor after 24 games with lots of days off sprinkled in – wait til the weather warms up. Given that we are basically platooning at LF and C, which is fine by me, only Santiago and Kelly are the true reserves. I would just as soon they never got a start except in the case of injury or illness (and this is going to happen). For sure they need to get some ABs but use them sparingly and not at the same time or only late in games when their hitting deficiencies won’t have an impact on the result. Kelly has more versatility, but of late I am not sure what function Santiago serves as he has virtually disappeared. I suppose he can be classified as “use only in case of emergency”, but then you could argue that that roster spot could be put to better use. But maybe they just haven’t been able to come up with a better solution.

by Vince in MN on Apr 30, 2013 at 6:17 pm

8. I read somewhere that Avila has been pulling, so going to left with that HR is perhaps a good sign?

by Vince in MN on Apr 30, 2013 at 7:46 pm

9. I take that back. I think he just ran into one.

by Vince in MN on Apr 30, 2013 at 8:23 pm

10. Kaboom!!

by Vince in MN on Apr 30, 2013 at 8:42 pm

11. Sasquatch sighting.

by Coleman on Apr 30, 2013 at 8:47 pm

12. Apparently Uncle Geno forgot to forward the message to Mr. Brookens that you don’t send Victor.

by Coleman on Apr 30, 2013 at 8:48 pm

13. Brookens still doesn’t recognize VMart perhaps.

by Vince in MN on Apr 30, 2013 at 9:15 pm

14. Raburn with 2 more HR tonight. Now hitting .320.

by Vince in MN on Apr 30, 2013 at 9:18 pm

15. Apparently Cleveland has a very clever hitting coach who has convinced him it is September.

by Coleman on Apr 30, 2013 at 9:31 pm

16. Is it me or did it look like Vmart pulled up a bit gimpy at 1st base after he was “Lamonted” in the game?

by tbran on Apr 30, 2013 at 9:36 pm

17. Correction: “Lamonted” earlier in the game?

by tbran on Apr 30, 2013 at 9:37 pm

18. the CLE hitting coach was the first thing that crossed my mind when i saw Raburn’s night/stats

by StorminNorman on Apr 30, 2013 at 9:38 pm

19. Yeah like I was saying the other week, he has a lot of power for a small guy. You can’t hit home runs by accident if you are only 185 pounds, it takes a genuine and talent and skill.

by The Strategy Expert on Apr 30, 2013 at 9:47 pm

20. Leyland being Captain Hook with AlAl there. Excellent.

by Vince in MN on Apr 30, 2013 at 9:58 pm

21. Predictions for tomorrow?? Fearing the dreaded “getaway day” slumber that we seem to fall victim to at the end of many of our homestands. I’m thinking it will be one of those days where we struggle to score two or three runs. Sanchez will have to be as sharp as he was last Friday if that is the case. I would love to see us put the hammer down and sweep back to back series. That would get me feeling good about things heading into this six game trip to HOU and WASH.

by Jerry The Tiger Fan on Apr 30, 2013 at 11:05 pm

22. In case anyone is wondering, if Rayburn was still with the Tigers he would not be doing what he is doing….

by jud on May 1, 2013 at 12:23 am

23. A fellow by the name of Ty Van Burkleo… some 25-30 years in Professional BB ( incluing playing in Japan) and I am willing to bet my brand new Jackie R, Newk and Campy bobblehead that none of us have ever heard of him! Heck, he even coached for the M’s 3-4 years ago, and I had no clue about that.

by Jim Eggers USMC Rifle Expert1971 on May 1, 2013 at 12:46 am

24. You are Correct, Sir!

by Jim Eggers USMC Rifle Expert1971 on May 1, 2013 at 12:47 am