Waiting In The World Series On-Deck Circle

by Coleman on October 21, 2012 · 17 comments

in 2012 Season,Playoffs

Post image for Waiting In The World Series On-Deck Circle

Just a few thoughts while we wait patiently to see if Detroit will have a World Series rematch with St. Louis, or if the Tigers will take on the Giants.

Regardless of who the other half of the World Series matchup is, Detroit will begin the series Wednesday on the road. The blame for that falls on none other than Justin Verlander (although one could make a case for blaming Bud Selig), who laid an egg in his All-Star start and gave home field advantage to the NL team.  I imagine he is in for some good-natured ribbing.

If St. Louis beats SF on Sunday, the 2012 World Series will be the first ever in which two teams with under 90 regular season wins face each other.

**********

And because Wednesday’s game is in the NL park, our ALCS MVP DH will have to find a new gig; Leyland confirms the plan is to play Young in LF in Game 1.  This may cut down on Quintin Berry appearances.  It is worth noting that Q-Berry hit .314 (11-for-35) with a HR and 5 RBI in Interleague play.

Young will get a chance to practice his fielding, um, skills on Sunday and Monday: Jim Leyland, having experienced the 2006 World Series where the Tigers came out flat after having 6 days off, decided to try something different this time around, and is bringing players from the instruction league in for some scrimmage time.  My advice to the scrimmagers:  bunting, lots of bunting (those who remember 2006 will understand).

**********

Speaking of Leyland, Dave Dombrowski has publicly proclaimed:  Jim Leyland is welcome back.

Here is Leyland talking about the Yankee sweep.

Gene Lamont got less love:  Boston seemed uninterested in Lamont this time around in their managerial search (Farrell appears to have the job, although Toronto will have to be compensated).  Lamont says the Red Sox would have been better off if they had gone with him last time around.

And just for fun, let’s review some of the numbers from the Yankee series:

• The Tigers swept the ALCS without ever trailing, joining the 1984 Tigers as the only teams to do so.
  • The Tigers became the first team to win 5 straight postseason games against the Yankees
  • The Tigers are the only team in the AL to be undefeated in posteason series vs the Yankees (3-for-3), and their 10-3 record gives them the best winning percentage of any franchise.
  • Delmon Young became the first player to have the game-winning RBI in all 4 wins of a postseason series.
  • The starting staff finished with a series ERA of 0.66, the 2nd best ever in a best-of-seven series (the 1966 Orioles had 0.61 against the Dodgers).

{ 17 comments }

jud October 21, 2012 at 4:30 am

Good Stuff , Coleman

StorminNorman October 21, 2012 at 10:46 am

a lot of positives taken from the ALDS & ALCS…let’s hope the pitching portion carries over to the WS

KW October 21, 2012 at 12:27 pm
travisfrymanfan October 21, 2012 at 3:34 pm

As usual he is wrong. Injuries can happens at home or in weird forms. Scherzer? Avila hit by Fielder.Alburquerque hit in the bullpen
Being cold is the recipe for injuries.

KW October 21, 2012 at 4:22 pm

“As usual he is wrong.” Glad you’re being objective.

His point is that if someone gets injured during the scrimmages, there’s going to be a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking going on. I love the idea of these guys staying fresh, but do you really want minor leaguers pitching to Cabrera and Fielder? Who knows what kind of command they have. Other injuries, like someone pulling a muscle, would be less of an issue because that could happen during any kind of workout.

Vince in MN October 21, 2012 at 5:41 pm

“Lamont says the Red Sox would have been better off if they had gone with him last time around.”

We were all pulling for you Gene.

Coleman October 21, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I think the Cardinals rematch may not be happening.

Vince in MN October 21, 2012 at 9:49 pm

A Cardinals-Tigers rematch would be fun, but the Giants may actually be less of a challenge to the Tigers. Despite the record difference, I think the Cardinals, especially the offense, is a better team than the Giants.

Smoking Loon October 21, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I think the Giants could present more of a challenge for the Tigers, though I can’t provide good evidence for this. I was hoping for the Cardinals and so-called revenge, but I’ve changed my mind. I don’t know why I would prefer a challenging WS to a sweep of the Cardinals, but I do. I think I’ll compromise and hope for a challenging sweep of the Giants.

Vince in MN October 21, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Big Potato is baked. Please leave him off the WS roster.

PHToy in HK October 22, 2012 at 1:48 am

I prefer my potatoes fried.

PHToy in HK October 22, 2012 at 1:51 am

Either way, it looks like he is on the roster.

Kevin in Dallas October 22, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Valverde has given up 7 ER in the postseason – the rest of the staff – 9.

Remove Valverde’s 7 ER in 2.1 IP, and the Tigers’ postseason ERA is .89 with a 1 WHIP.

Only Tiger Fan in Mississippi October 22, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Hey Coleman, Many thanks for making this post as because of lack of Tiger games, I was getting rusty in my analytical analyzes!!! This will keep me in shape into the WS starts.

Coleman October 22, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Pack for SF guys!

jud October 22, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I think its safe to take off on that plane to Cali

Coleman October 23, 2012 at 12:18 am

Hopefully Verlander is on Wednesday…Barry Zito is The Guy The Tigers Have Problems With.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site