DTW News and Notes 3-15-12

21 days away…

Jacob Turner has been shut down for a week with shoulder problems. I think “tendinitis” is code for “confidence reparation.”  I don’t think he’s gonna be the 5th starter to start the season.

Octavio Dotel is playing for this 13th team in 13 years, an ML record.  ESPN ran an amusing article on it a few days ago. Dotel comes across as an easy-going guy. I guess you have to be when you’ve played with 601 different teammates.  Did you know that his career K/9 is 10.9?

Ever wonder how those huge tiger statutes stay so clean?  Here they are getting refurbished.

Old Milt Wilcox has successfully moved on to his twilight career, and it may be better than his first one.

1. Kevin in Dallas

March 15, 2012 at 6:45 pm

2. Damus Fucious

March 16, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Pro starter Tendonitis should not be confused with confidence reparation. Losing 5 MPH off your fast pitch, plus six inches off your breaking ball, is not a result of lacking confidence.
    It may be a lack of proper warmups – improper exercises – deficient diet – overwork….etc.

3. Kevin in Dallas

March 19, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Cabby took on off of the face today. Looks like he’ll be okay.

4. StorminNorman$

March 20, 2012 at 11:04 am

RE: Cabby’s grounder to the grill:

fundamentally sound, yes, he knocked it down and kept the ball in front of him

as for his reaction/reflexes to the bad hop… i’ve seen better…

i know its spring training and he’s a big boy, but the effects of that ‘bad hop’ could linger a bit… psychologically speaking

5. Coleman

March 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm

And it broke his face…looks like he will be out at least a week

6. Pingback: FEATURED ARTICLE: DTW News and Notes 3-15-12 | Detroit Tigers Dugout Online | Detroit Tigers Blog

7. Vince in MN

March 25, 2012 at 8:43 pm

We need to jump start the dialogue on the site. I suggest a Brandon Inge thread!

• Vince in MN

March 25, 2012 at 9:06 pm

“People think I can’t do things, and every time we acquire someone else, I use it as motivation: I’m better than what they think. After a while, it’s like, ‘Man, how many times do I have to prove myself to you?’ ”
      -Inge, recently telling CBSSports.com how he is motivated by critics who doubt him.

Answer: Once would be nice. We’re still waiting.

• Andrew in Toronto

March 25, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Inge is now hitting .171 in spring training. I think this has to be the end of the line for him now.

• Vince in MN

March 26, 2012 at 12:27 pm

The final cuts won’t come until next Monday, so I guess his magic number is 7 (days) now.

• Coleman

March 26, 2012 at 2:53 pm

You won’t be laughing once he puts up his 30 HRs this season:

“So I asked Inge where he will be in a year.
      “One year from right now?” he asked. “I don’t know. Somewhere after I just hit 30 bombs.”

• Vince in MN

March 26, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Another 0 fer 3 for Binge today (even in ST teams continue to pitch to him like he is Babe Ruth I guess). Also note that that was from the DH spot wth Raburn and Ciriaco(!) in the field. Probably this went unnoticed by the Motor City Bomber.

The man is delusional. It wouldn’t be so bad if he had ever learned to keep his mouth shut and remain invisible when things aren’t going well (which has been the great majority of his career), but I don’t think he can help himself. The magic number is now 6.

8. Vince in MN

March 25, 2012 at 8:54 pm

The Tigers are projected to be one of the top offenses in MLB this year We should be the best, but we have a manager that….. never mind. Check out the chart: