Hot Stove Talk, Part 2 (and other stuff)
Catching up on a few notes:
- Looks like Gerald Laird may be bringing the party back to the Big D.
- The Tigers are in talks with the Braves about Martin Prado. Ian Casselberry did a great write up on why Prado would be a tremendous fit a few weeks ago here. Prado is coming off of a down here, but in ’07, ’08, and ’09, his OPS+ figures were 121, 117, 119, respectively. In 2009 he finished 9th in NL MVP voting. Now, Prado is most attractive as a 2B, but note that he didn’t play any games at 2B last year, and statistically, he’s a better LFer than 2B. Considering the dearth of fielders at both positions, I think we can find room for him somewhere.
- A few from the web which I don’t think carry much weight are Jose Reyes and Cole Hamels. Reyes is likely going to see 9 figures in his next contract, and Hamels would require trading away Jacob Turner, and paying Hamels $14M before he demands $20M+ in 2013 as a FA.
- 40 man list is due tonight. Casey Crosby will be #35, I’m certain. After that, the Tigers will have to make a decision on Brandon Douglas, Cody Satterwhite, Matt Hoffman, Jay Voss, Tyler Stohr, Ben Guez and my player of the pregame for Game #17 in 2014 – Gustavo Nunez.
- Spring Training anyone? (schedule)