Game 2011.149: Tigers at White Sox

When you look up and see Dylan Axelrod making his major league debut, you’ve gotta feel pretty good about #12. ¬†Sounds like he should be leading a GnR cover band, not pitching against the hottest team in baseball.

On the other hand, the old Tigers have had problems against first major league start guy, and Brad Penny is likely making his 3rd to last appearance of the season, and likely his 3rd to last appearance in a Tigers uniform.

I’ve got a feeling that we the White Sox have given up, and it will show today.

I’ve gotta run, please help out with the pitching previews and lineups again, friends.

1. SJC in Detroit

September 14, 2011 at 10:42 am

Baseball-Reference Preview
    Three of Brad’s ten wins this year courtesy of White Sox….

2. Andrew in Toronto

September 14, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Line-up today:

Dirks cf, Santiago ss, Young lf, Cabrera 1b, Martinez dh, Guillen 2b, Betemit 3b, Kelly rf, Santos c. Penny p.

3. Andrew in Toronto

September 14, 2011 at 12:18 pm

If we manage to extend this to a 12-game streak, it would be the longest since 1934.

This and other interesting facts at:

4. Vince in MN

September 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm

All streaks have to end sometime, and with Penny pitching today, the Tigers have their best shot at ending their winning streak. Since being demoted to the No. 5 starter (why does he pitch in the 2 slot?) after the Fister pickup, he has fit right in with all our other No. 5 staters previous. Not that it matters as far as getting ito the playoffs of course, but if JL wants to sluff off a game, why doesn’t he run Turner out there instead.

• Vince in MN

September 14, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Ah, I see by the lineup that JL IS sluffing this one off.

• Andrew in Toronto

September 14, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Dare I say that Penny is due?

As far as working Turner in, maybe we can go with a six-man rotation once we clinch, and Leyland can start moving people around to get ready for the playoffs + giving them a bit more rest. Well, the Tigers aren’t in this situation very often, so it’s hard to know what’s optimal.

• Vince in MN

September 14, 2011 at 2:46 pm

The thing with going to a 6-man rotation at this point is that once we get to the playoffs we should, IMO, be going to a 4-man rotation (although I am not countng on it). If that be the case, does the drastic change in the number off off days effect the rhythm of the starters?

Another advantage of going to a 4-man (besides the obvious one of eliminating Penny from the equation) is that we could go with an 11-man staff and carry an extra position player instead. Our bench has been pretty good lately, but are we going to have to carry Santos as the emergency backstop because of Martinez’s inability to catch? If so, that is like giving up one roster spot.

• ouchudied

September 14, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I highly, highly doubt we go to a 5-man rotation in the playoffs. I’d be shocked if we didn’t go to a 4-man rotation.

5. Nickgouge

September 14, 2011 at 1:57 pm

It is certainly an interesting lineup, but as hot as these guys are a Tigers win would not surprise me at all!

6. ouchudied

September 14, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Leave it to Brad to make it look like we were going to get out of that inning unscathed. What a tease.

• ouchudied

September 14, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Also, I wrote this post when it was 2-1 White Sox. Argh.

7. Kevin in Dallas

September 14, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I would think that Turner will get Penny’s next two starts, maybe even one of JVs if we need to to setup the scheduling. I’d like to see if Turner can be a long guy in the playoffs.

• Vince in MN

September 14, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I think they will “protect” Turner and shut him down after the regular season. He was on a strict pitch/innings limit for most of the year as I recall.

• Kevin in Dallas

September 14, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Great point. Any idea what he’s at for the year?

• Vince in MN

September 14, 2011 at 4:09 pm

No, but not long after he arrived at Toledo I remember reading that he was going to be limited to 6 innings. Considering how careful the Tigers have become with young arms in the last few years (remember Porcello getting yanked with under 90 a couple of time THIS YEAR?), I just can’t imagine them making an exception of Turner, especially.

8. Andrew in Toronto

September 14, 2011 at 3:03 pm

It seems to me that Penny is not even the 5th best starter on this time.

The only reason to keep giving him the ball is to rest other pitcher’s arms. Either Turner has pitched too much to join the rotation, or if he does join, just to give extra rest to JV.

When the playoffs come, I’d actually want to think about a 3-man rotation most of the time, if possible.

• ouchudied

September 14, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I agree that a 3-man rotation isn’t out of the question. Verlander would be able to handle this extra workload, and the Scherzer and Fister would only take on 1-2 extra starts, assuming that each series wouldn’t last the full amount of games. Porcello could be used as an emergency spot starter if need be to rest the arms, as well.

However, I don’t see this happening in this day and age of baseball and pitch counts.

• Andrew in Toronto

September 14, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I took a look at last year’s playoffs, and most teams seem to have used a 4-man rotation throughout, with the exception of the Braves who went back to Lowe in Game 4 when they were down 2-1 and facing elimination.

Right now, having won 11 in a row, I feel pretty good about Porcello and Scherzer, so I guess I’m okay with a 4-man.

But obviously, it will depend very much on the situation. If there are extra days of rest or if we are in a tight situation, etc., the situation might change.

• Andrew in Toronto

September 14, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Just read this about Verlander…

“Verlander has not made any starts this season with short rest. In fact, if you are counting on Verlander pitching ALDS Game 1 and then Game 4 should the Tigers face an elimination game then, keep this in mind: Verlander has made 200 major league starts, including the postseason, and never started on short rest.”

It’s in a Sports Illustrated column saying that if he gets to 25 wins that would be very special in these days of 5-man rotations, and might help his MVP chances…

Link

• Jeff Molby

September 14, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Here’s are the basic choices: http://screencast.com/t/GJtnxqlYGJ2A

I’d prefer the straight 3-man rotation, but I don’t see them being that aggressive, so I’m hoping they go with something like my 3-man+ rotation. It gives an extra start to both your #1 and your #2 at the expense of two starts from your #4, while only forcing your #1 to pitch on short rest once.

9. Brenden

September 14, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I’m ready for Penny to be gone….he has been terrible as of late….

10. Vince in MN

September 14, 2011 at 3:31 pm

This is my 1st round playoff roster:
    Pitchers (11): SP: Verlander, Fister, Scherzer, Porcello. RP: Valverde, Benoit, Coke, Schlereth, Al-Al, Below, Perry (?)
    Infield (6): Cabrera, Santiago, Peralta, Betemit, Inge, Kelly
    Outfield (5): Jackson, Young, Dirks, Ordonez, Raburn
    Catcher: Avila
    DH: Martinez

That leaves one roster spot open. I don’t want Penny. I don’t think they will carry Turner over. That leaves Pauley (eek) or Marte (?) as the 12th pitcher possibility. I lean toward the extra position player as much by process of elimination as anything. Santos, Rhymes, Worth and Guillen are what is left.

• Kevin in Dallas

September 14, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I’d rather have Pauley than Perry.

• ouchudied

September 14, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Agree. Also, Smoky will make sure Guillen is on the playoff roster because he is a vet.

• Andrew in Toronto

September 14, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I’d give some thought to Marte over both Pauley and Perry. Let’s see how things go over the next couple weeks.

• Vince in MN

September 14, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I guess it boils down to which one you want to throw to the wolves in the case of a blowout. JL has seemed inclined to use Perry as a ROOGY lately, but I don’t see that as an option with a short staff. I am ambivalent about both of them.

11. Vince in MN

September 14, 2011 at 3:55 pm

You are getting very sleepy.

12. Andrew in Toronto

September 14, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Time for another clutch V-Mart blast!

• Andrew in Toronto

September 14, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Or maybe not….

13. Brenden

September 14, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Looks like the streak ends today, they are not getting the clutch hits that they need. Oh well, it’s been fun!

• Andrew in Toronto

September 14, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Oh yeah?

14. Tom in Minneapolis

September 14, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Avila!!!!

15. StorminNorman$

September 14, 2011 at 4:38 pm

unfreaking believable!

16. Vince in MN

September 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm

The defensive alignment will be interesting in the last of the ninth. Who plays 3B – Santiago or Raburn?

17. Brenden

September 14, 2011 at 4:44 pm

What the!?!?!? Go Tigers!!!

18. Vince in MN

September 14, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Post-All Star Raburn before today: 107 PA : .324 /.361 /.539 /.900 with 11 XB hits. Exactly why isn’t he playing every day? I know he got knocked (deservedly) in the first half, but he is at it again this 2nd half.

19. Vince in MN

September 14, 2011 at 5:03 pm

These guys are making Leyland look like a genius today. Incredible. Get the Potato warmed up.

20. Andrew in Toronto

September 14, 2011 at 5:17 pm

What a great win!

What a great run!

35-5 to end the season is still possible, for those of you who remember 84! :-)

• StorminNorman$

September 14, 2011 at 5:23 pm

yes that would mirror the ’84 season (start)

• Vince in MN

September 14, 2011 at 5:36 pm

They have 13 games left. Thay would have to win them all to finish 35-4. They would also have a 25 game winning streak at that point.

• Scott

September 14, 2011 at 5:45 pm

ok, wait…..let’s calm down here……. :-)

• Vince in MN

September 14, 2011 at 6:05 pm

36 if you count the 2 playoffs and World Series. Then going into next season…..

21. Vince in MN

September 14, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Well, you can’t get much more dramatic than that!

22. Tom in Minneapolis

September 14, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Well, they won their 12th straight. But it took them 10 innings to do it.

23. JOE Z

September 14, 2011 at 5:20 pm

what a bunch of sickos. awesome comeback

24. StorminNorman$

September 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Astonishing!!! What a run!!! …today’s amazing comeback victory should make the plane ride to OAK much more enjoyable.

25. ouchudied

September 14, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Ridiculous.

I leave work at the end of the 8th and they are down 3. And then I get to see Guillen hit the game winner back through the box.

Amazing.

26. Scott

September 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm

man, we gotta sit back and enjoy this run….when was the last time a Tiger team won 12 straight? I don’t know. And the way they did it today…….reminds me of the ’68 team that did it just like this all season long….gives me a warm’n’fuzzy inside…….. :-p

• Andrew in Toronto

September 14, 2011 at 5:40 pm

• Scott

September 14, 2011 at 5:43 pm

yeah, just talked to my dad; still lives in Detroit….he’s 86. That’s what he told me: 1934. and I just noticed in the standings the Tigers have caught the RSox…….we’re ahead by a half-game on them right now……. :-)

• Andrew in Toronto

September 14, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Look out Yankees!

• Andrew in Toronto

September 14, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Oops, I just posted the wrong link somehow. Here’s the right one for streak info.

27. StorminNorman$

September 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm

“confidence” is such a key fuel in turning a ‘good’ team into a ‘great’ team; and i have to believe the Tiger’s ‘confidence tank’ is pretty close to being topped off after today.

as long as the Tigers can stay healthy, anything is possible once the playoffs start

28. Andrew in Toronto

September 14, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Good article today at si.com about the Tiger’s great run… not just this winning streak, but 29-11 over their past 40 games:

29. Andrew in Toronto

September 14, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Cleveland is getting wiped out by Texas tonight. If that holds up, then clinching tomorrow is possible. We’d just need a Tigers win and another Cleveland loss.