Game 2011.87: Tigers at Angels

by Kevin in Dallas on July 5, 2011 · 23 comments

in 2011 Season,Game Post

Post image for Game 2011.87: Tigers at Angels

That’s five series in a row now where the Tigers have lost the opening game, and unless they win today, that will be four out of five series losses.  Not a good start to the 2nd half of the season.

JV looks to continue his dominance tonight.  I’d post the numbers, but you’ve likely already seen them.  In case you haven’t, 8 in a row would be big time.

He’ll be opposed by the formidable Dan Haren.  Actually, formidable might be downplaying it. Haren is 8-5 with a 2.85 ERA and a 1.02 WHIP.  He was roughed up for 6 ER in 4+ against the Mets 3 starts ago, but 14 of his 17 starts have been quality, and he has 6 starts where he’s allowed 1 or less runs and pitched at least 7 innings.  Now quality doesn’t necessarily get it done against JV, but we’ll need JV to really be JV tonight.

Kelly Gets the Nod at Third Tonight:

1. Jackson, CF
2. Boesch, LF
3. Ordonez, RF
4. Cabrera, 1B
5. Martinez, DH
6. Peralta, SS
7. Avila, C
8. Raburn, 2B
9. Kelly, 3B

In my mind, this is a really, really big game for the Tigers.  A JV loss could turn a bad two week slide into an avalanche.  So JV is my pick to click tonight.  He’s gonna be filthy.

{ 23 comments }

Mr. X July 5, 2011 at 10:00 pm

In my mind, this game is no greater than or less than any of the next 5 games. A win here would be nice, but I can’t expect Verlander to dominate like he has every single game lately. We have 4 games at KC coming, so we should be going into the All-Star break on a high note. I think we’ll retake 1st place before going into the break.

and right now Cleveland is losing 8-0 to the Yanks!

Kevin in Dallas July 5, 2011 at 10:58 pm

It’s hard to argue with you Mr. X, you nailed the May to June frenzy. But I’ll stand by my comment until proven wrong, and then I’ll conveniently forget it and make some other ridiculous statement rooted in fiction and knowledge garnered from Topps baseball cards and free previews of Baseball Prospectus articles. And then I’ll forget that one and focus on TSE’s latest irrational logic.

Coleman July 5, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I don’t see us doing much damage against Haren, considering how Cy Pinero just shut us down. Justin may need the shutout to keep his win streak going.

Coleman July 5, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Actually, lineup correction: Cabrera is DH, Martinez at 1B

Coleman July 5, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I wish the Tigers had a good 3B coach like that

Kevin in Dallas July 5, 2011 at 10:59 pm
Coleman July 5, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Bases loaded, nobody out…Verlander had them just where he wanted them

Kevin in Dallas July 5, 2011 at 11:54 pm

I missed it. What happened?

Coleman July 6, 2011 at 12:03 am

Single, single + error, walk, K, infield fly, fly out to CF

Coleman July 6, 2011 at 12:04 am

Still, we look destined to be shut out

Kevin in Dallas July 6, 2011 at 12:12 am

Sorry, I meant Leyland. Why did he get tossed?

Coleman July 6, 2011 at 12:20 am

Because Joe West is the umpire? I have no idea. He was jawing from the dugout, I have to guess about ball-strike calls. Unless he was ejected for putting Raburn in the starting lineup.

Coleman July 6, 2011 at 12:22 am

Breaking news, after a 2nd consecutive dismal offensive showing, hitting coach Lloyd McClendon has been fired. Haha, just kidding.

Mark at the game July 6, 2011 at 12:34 am

JV had some nice words for Joe West on the way out.

Brenden July 6, 2011 at 12:38 am

So….how long before we start hearing “Fire Leyland” chants at home games?

Mr. X July 6, 2011 at 12:44 am

Probably never. We’re just 1.5 games out of 1st.

Mr. X July 6, 2011 at 1:03 am

Most people that go to Tigers games, go to root for the Tigers and enjoy themselves. They are loyal fans. Back in the day, agitators would get their butt’s kicked at the old Tiger Stadium. The bleacher crowd there didn’t put up with insolent fans. At Comerica, most of the adults know not to start “fire anyone” chants, especially for someone as well liked as Leyland. Many fans here love the guy. Leyland’s career with the Tigers goes back 48 years. There is no way he gets fired. When he leaves the Tigers, it will be on good terms. You can count on that.

Mr. X July 6, 2011 at 12:43 am

Haren owned us. That’s just the breaks.

Kevin in Dallas July 6, 2011 at 12:44 am

Mad props to Haren. Not much we could do.

Coleman July 6, 2011 at 12:50 am

Tough way for JV to lose his win streak

judpma July 6, 2011 at 2:36 am

got home from the ballpark in Anaheim and I just had to type this…. the ball Maggs played into the winning run was brutal. It was a rocket base hit that ( Miggy would have caught) but whistled by Martinez….it was about 20 feet to Maggs left….Raburn was in the cutoff position to go home near the first base line. as the runner approached third…. Maggs Had the ball…..AND FOR SOME REASON he threw to second base….no cut off it bounced once or twice…everyone was kind of stunned as Aybar hesitated at third but the third base coach read it all the way and Aybar scored easily….WTF…was Maggs doing????

judpma July 6, 2011 at 4:07 am

oops it was Kendricks not Aybar..I now remember that because he was out at first on the GB to Peralta..but called safe…..this call eventually led to the Mumbles ejection….in fact Mumbles ejection and JV’s ripping of the ump upon leaving the game were the only life the Tigers showed during the entire game…..

Coleman July 6, 2011 at 4:35 am

According to ESPN, whatever that’s worth, Verlander was ejected. Yes, after he was removed from the game. What was up with the umps tonight?

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site