Game 2011.64: Mariners at Tigers

Well, Brad Penny was a Good Enough Penny;  unfortunately the Tigers ran into Cy Bedard and couldn’t muster any offense.  Jim Leyland said “Tonight felt like one of those games that you just aren’t supposed to win.”  OK, to me it felt like the opposite, but hey, that’s just me.

At least Cleveland lost.  And so did the surging White Sox, beaten by the A’s, who were led by their new phenom Scott Sizemore (3-4, 3 RBI).  And hey, look at that, Cleveland already lost again today.  A share of first is for the taking.

Today’s trivia answer (question below): Chone Figgins, Alcides Escobar, and Mark Ellis.

Tonight Max Scherzer tries to get back on track–he has a 12.51 ERA his last 3 outings.  If he can’t get back on track against the light-hitting Mariners, we may have a problem.  But not to worry.  Jim Leyland studied video of Max and saw…something: “I didn’t know what I was going to see, but I know what I saw. I saw something else, then I saw what I was looking for.”

On the other side of the mound, the Tigers won’t have an easy time getting their bats going again against Michael Pineda. He has a 1.64 ERA in his last 5 starts, and is looking more and more like an All-Star pitcher all of the time.

Today’s trivia question:  Name all of the AL hitters with a lower OPS than Ryan Raburn.

Today’s Player of the Pre-Game:  Casper Wells

Yesterday I named Ryan Raburn player of the Pre-game.  He responded by striking out, then striking out, then striking out, then being lifted for a pinch-hitter.  So today it seemed prudent to name a player not in the actual lineup.

Today’s No-Burn Lineup:

1. Austin Jackson CF
  2. Don Kelly 3B
  3. Brennan Boesch LF
  4. Miguel Cabrera 1B
  5. Victor Martinez DH
  6. Andy Dirks RF
  7. Jhonny Peralta SS
  8. Alex Avila C
  9. Ramon Santiago 2B

Posted by on June 11, 2011.

Categories: 2011 Season, Game Post

1. Leyland: “I didn’t know what I was going to see, but I know what I saw. I saw something else, then I saw what I was looking for.”
    Translation: “I didn’t know what the f… I was looking at, but then Knapp explained it to me.”

by Vince in MN on Jun 11, 2011 at 4:44 pm

2. The clown show returns.

by Mr. X on Jun 11, 2011 at 7:20 pm

3. at least he saw something…I wasn’t sure he could do that much when it comes to pitchers

by jud on Jun 11, 2011 at 7:35 pm

4. The Tigs did more in the first inning than they did in the whole game against this dude the last time

by judpma on Jun 11, 2011 at 7:38 pm

5. I think Leyland should look at some video of Rayburn hitting so he can see something he didn’t see when he was looking at something he didn’t see when he did see it. It only makes sense !!!

by judpma on Jun 11, 2011 at 7:57 pm

6. Sounds like the buffet at a banquet I went to last week.

by Mr. X on Jun 11, 2011 at 8:00 pm

7. I can smell first place. Leyland probably doesn’t know what he’s smelling, though he knows he’s smelling something.

by Kevin in Dallas on Jun 11, 2011 at 8:46 pm

8. ya, but he was smelling for something else when he smelled it.

by judpma on Jun 11, 2011 at 8:57 pm

9. Boesch is on fire!…..ton of good at bats this month it seems

by judpma on Jun 11, 2011 at 9:05 pm

10. same with Martinez…..

by judpma on Jun 11, 2011 at 9:07 pm

11. nice win! Now lets stay in First Place,,,

by judpma on Jun 11, 2011 at 10:06 pm

12. first place.. . . ………….

this can be our season. its early, but the AL central is a wreak at the moment. hold off the hated sox. lets lock this up.

tell the aubrey huffs of the world to just perform after the trade deadline and not in the next season.

how does jacob turner only have 1 win in 11 starts lol. if things keep rolling, id expect him to be a bullpen arm down the stretch (obvious?) .

this offense is strong enough when its rolling. (if our road woes werent so terrible, i had mentioned a few weeks ago about the worst road production in the AL, just imagine) and i guess i trust scherzer more than porcello, but even max can show weakness a lot. the point is, when those guys are on their game, we have a great 3 some. albuquerque is doing his part to help hold down the bullpen.

we get an arm and maybe a bat, this team, its not AL best by any means, but this team right now, and even with added talent can compete in any series. thats all you can really ask for.

ranting for excitement. good to see this looking favorable. we’re looking at an enjoyable summer. (thank dave d and jim not having contracts? dave’s coming back in my opinion, minimum)

by JOE Z on Jun 12, 2011 at 3:54 am

13. Great mileage out of the Leyland quote today. Keep ‘em coming Smokey!

by Vince in MN on Jun 12, 2011 at 9:24 am