Joel Zumaya to the 60-day DL, maybe forever?

(picture from www.freep.com)

I’m not sure that this is news to anyone, but don’t expect Zumaya to pitch anytime soon, or this season, or perhaps never again.

As unsurprising as this news is, it’s still difficult to swallow because I don’t think any of us will forget the magic he brought in 2006 nor what he meant to that WS run. ┬áRIP, Joel Zumaya right arm.

Posted by on April 18, 2011.

Categories: 2011 Season, Injuries, Players, Roster Management

1. Yes, if it becomes true it will be a very sad tragedy as the more I learned about the person Joel Zumaya, the more I was impressed on his love of and respect for the game. Inasmuch, I hope that this prediction doesn’t come true and that we see him work his way back onto the mound.

by Only Tiger Fan in Mississippi on Apr 18, 2011 at 9:09 pm

2. I hope he comes back too, It was electric when he came in. It will most likely not be with the Tigers. His contract is up and it seems unlikely that the sign him unless he gives them something to sign with a recovery or prognosis.

Steve

by Steve on Apr 18, 2011 at 9:23 pm

3. Judging from that picture he has taken off a lot of weight.

by Coleman on Apr 18, 2011 at 9:25 pm

4. I recall reading an article about how Joel and his Mom drove together from California to Lakeland for Spring Training (in 2007 or 2008?). The article did a great job on capturing Joel’s excitement and devotion for another year of baseball. Again, I hope he will be back.

by Only Tiger Fan in Mississippi on Apr 18, 2011 at 9:47 pm

5. As far as I have heard, there is no structural problems. If it is only some scar tissue broken loose…….he should be able to come back after maybe minor surgery, rehab, strengthening…..and hopefully we can be treated to the thrill and electricity of that 100+ fastball.

by TORONTO TIGER on Apr 18, 2011 at 10:11 pm

6. This kid was/is a tremendous talent, and a really great guy. His “kid next door” attitude was very refreshing. (we injured himself just before the world series playing air guitar! Everything he did/does, he gives it 120%!!) I remember watching in awe as the radar gun pops up 101, 102, even 104–and consistently. Unfortunately, he had a very violent motion. It worked–one of the hardest throwing pitchers ever to play the game–but possible at a horrible, career shortening cost.

Let’s hope for the best, for the Tigers, for Joes, for tiger fans. There may still be a great career ahead of him, but, even if not, God I loved to watch that kid throw the fastball! Congratulations, Joel, and we all wish you the best.

by Doug Hargett` on Apr 19, 2011 at 2:07 am

7. Joel and Grandy used to room together in ’06. Remember that? They had a small apartment in Detroit. Grandy used to complain it was too small. I remember all the young ladies used to hang around the BP. They just loved him and so did most of the ladies. I haven’t seen anyone who brought the excitement like Zoom. Hope we get to see him again.

by kathy on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:29 pm

8. I suspect this obituary is being written a little early. He’s had a number of problems, but recovered from them all except the elbow. He was fine last year before the elbow problem — people for get this — and dominant. It’s not like it’s a single chronic injury that comes back year after year. He’s young enough to come back — let’s all stop playing doctor.

If Dombrowski is willing to re-sign Inge after double knee surgery, I should hope there’s a thought to giving Joel a shot next year, provided he’s able to come back this summer.

by scotsw on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:28 pm

9. When do we get the “Carlos Guillen to the 60-day DL, maybe forever?” post?

by Vince in MN on Apr 20, 2011 at 2:15 pm

10. [...] In off the field news – Zumaya is going to have exploratory surgery, reports the Freep. ┬áThis just confirms the inevitable. [...]

by Game 2011.31: Yankees at Tigers on May 4, 2011 at 4:12 pm